[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think if we can have a sensible first half hour this morning so the two are well set for when the new ball arrives and then the ball should come onto the bat better and we should be able to accumulate runs quickly, nothing ridiculous. I think it's important we try to stretch that lead as much as we can, if we play too loosely I wouldn't put it past us losing the last 6 wickets for a hundred or less. The more the lead the more attacking we can be with fields and taking wickets, if the lead is not substantial with the weather forecast then the amount and time it will take to chase may come into play, effectively we want to try not to have to bat again if possible. If we bat till lunch I'd guess we will be at least 170 in front, I'd like that lead to start with a 2 and in a perfect world if we bat exceptionally well 250.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've been checking the weather like an over anxious parent of a bride to be.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've been checking the weather like an over anxious parent of a bride to be.
4 miles from Old Trafford and it is spitting, which is consistent with forecast all morning. Looking better for afternoon and evening sessions though. Tomorrow and Sunday not looking great at all.

I reckon we've got somwhere between 80-100 overs to win this game.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Absolute madness playing a 5 day game in Manchester. It never stays sunny for that length of time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Clear in the morning, rain forecast later on - I know, let's all stay in bed and worry about the lack of cricket later.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
When I was a kid, in the late 70s and early 80s, we seemed to be continually hoping for rain to save us.
Even when it did come, it rarely stopped us from getting beaten.

Playing for a draw is one of the toughest tasks in test cricket.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
😆 edited now, although the Aussies are so shell shocked we might be able to slip in a 6th day.
Ironically, I have a feeling that it was at Old Trafford in 1981 that rest days were first stopped. Either that or a Sunday was first introduced to Test matches in England for the first time.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not from the dry sanctuary of the dressing room watching it hammering down.

Hopefully we'll get enough play to skittle them out
Sure -but before that there will be some difficult overs against a team in the ascendancy followed by the likelihood of an extended day's play in bowler friendly conditions.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
Sure -but before that there will be some difficult overs against a team in the ascendancy followed by the likelihood of an extended day's play in bowler friendly conditions.
Is there an option of an extended days play. I never knew this, always thought it was 5 days and that’s it. Great news if there is.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ironically, I have a feeling that it was at Old Trafford in 1981 that rest days were first stopped. Either that or a Sunday was first introduced to Test matches in England for the first time.
I remember the rest day on the Sunday being a standard part of the test match schedule well into the 90s, as it was particularly frustrating to only be able to watch one day of the tests that took place before the school holidays had started. Wednesday to Sunday probably makes most commercial sense as you're far more likley to fill a ground with pay-on-the-gate fans on a Sunday if a result looks possible.

Anyway, the good news is that the light rain in Manchester has stopped and there's even a few patches of blue sky. Should be on for an 11am start.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Steady rain at The Open.
That doesn’t imply much for the Manchester weather though. The Wirral is a peninsula and Hoylake is right next to the beach. I live 20 minutes away and it isn’t raining here. It’s a bit of a micro climate with weather patterns even differing from Liverpool at times and that’s just the other side of the river (I can see it from my road).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For the weather app watchers, seriously do not bother with the BBC. The Government forced them to ditch the Met office a few years ago for a cheaper option and they now use the people who supply the Daily Express with their headlines.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports