[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can see us declaring today. Bat like crazy for another 120 ish and declare with a lead of 50ish, give them 4 or 5 overs today.

Not saying that's what I would do, that's just what I think we might do

And i'm not totally ruling out us declaring whilst behind!
When is the new ball? The ball is like putty at the moment.

Actually, I'd rather we just batted and batted. Let them have a go when they're 100+ behind and there is grey sky and cloud to deal with.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
When is the new ball? The ball is like putty at the moment.

Actually, I'd rather we just batted and batted. Let them have a go when they're 100+ behind and there is grey sky and cloud to deal with.
30 more overs with this one. Will take us to the close today. England COULD be 120+ ahead by then.

England 290-2 (50 overs, RR5.80)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
30 more overs with this one. Will take us to the close today. England COULD be 120+ ahead by then.

given the weather forecast we might not have the time to bat again. I would think that we slowly increase the pace and keep going tonight.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
We should go full 20/20 mode for rest of the day and try and get an extra 150 or so to try and get some wickets before the end of the day. The weather really does look awful Friday and Saturday but the spells of play should massively support bowling conditions.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We should go full 20/20 mode for rest of the day and try and get an extra 150 or so to try and get some wickets before the end of the day. The weather really does look awful Friday and Saturday but the spells of play should massively support bowling conditions.

That's easier said than done with Test match bowling regulations and no field restrictions.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What a way to take the lead

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd just continue as is until the lead is c. 60-70, then go 20/20 with the aim of 3 or 4 overs at them and a lead of 150.

If you go banzai now the lead may only be 50-60 if thing go tits up, and that won't be enough for the sort of attacking fields Stokes will be looking to set in the second innings.

Stat - Only 2 maidens in 54 overs of test cricket. Incredible!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
What are the Aussies playing at? I mean that’s Sunday league stuff…

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Crawley drags on

189 MAGNIFICENT RUNS, 182 balls,21 fours 3 sixes :clap:

England 336-3 (56.5), leading by 19

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports