Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I've said it before but if you're from the East then Kent are the enemy, if you're from the West then it's Hampshire, but what really unites us is the real enemy, the true faith, the one to the North - Surrey.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Surrey are steeped in history. Yoos talking shite :)

(signed: a Surrey supporter)
I would remind you, of course, that Sussex are the oldest county.

However, as much as I dislike Surrey, I don't dislike it's people. Much the same way as the Victorians saw the poor. A kind of a condescending affection.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I've said it before but if you're from the East then Kent are the enemy, if you're from the West then it's Hampshire, but what really unites us is the real enemy, the true faith, the one to the North - Surrey.
or snooty "living in the past" Sussex if you look it from the north.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ah, Kent. Yes, but in many ways a county like ourselves. If you take out a single ten year period in their history they have pretty much won bugger all.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I would remind you, of course, that Sussex are the oldest county.

However, as much as I dislike Surrey, I don't dislike it's people. Much the same way as the Victorians saw the poor. A kind of a condescending affection.
We (Surrey) love old ramshackled grounds like Hove. A sort of "let's go in the back garden in our red corduroys and have a gander at the cricket" sort of thing. Lovely cucumber sandwiches with Rupert and Rosemary. No crusts mind. Oh no.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We (Surrey) love old ramshackled grounds like Hove. A sort of "let's go in the back garden in our red corduroys and have a gander at the cricket" sort of thing. Lovely cucumber sandwiches with Rupert and Rosemary. No crusts mind. Oh no.
At least we own our ground... Let's hope HRH doesn't sell it off to pay for the family's lawsuits.

The Queen could still only bother herself to visit Lords though.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Ah, Kent. Yes, but in many ways a county like ourselves. If you take out a single ten year period in their history they have pretty much won bugger all.
Having watched us thrash them at Tunbridge Wells in 2003 I think in the first of our Championship years, them always beating us at Hastings growing up in the 80's becomes less of an issue.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having watched us thrash them at Tunbridge Wells in 2003 I think in the first of our Championship years, them always beating us at Hastings growing up in the 80's becomes less of an issue.
Wasn't that the scene of the famous tied match ?

Yes, Deadly Derek at a wet Hastings was nowt to look forward to.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its a pity Hove is not good enough to play international cricket. Its quite often dry when there is bad weather in the rest of the country.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Its a pity Hove is not good enough to play international cricket. Its quite often dry when there is bad weather in the rest of the country.
Pretty sure we were given a match during the 1999 World Cup. I remember loads of Indians turning up.

Back in 1983, I think, just us and Bristol missed out. Much consternation.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Not really a pity at all. At Surrey we have Vauxhall, Oval and plenty of bus routes south and north. Hove has a couple of
7-seater minibuses to Hove station.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Pretty sure we were given a match during the 1999 World Cup. I remember loads of Indians turning up.

Back in 1983, I think, just us and Bristol missed out. Much consternation.
India v South Africa in 1999 was at Hove when it didn't hold many. My older brother got a ticket though. 😄

The aforementioned Nevill Ground in Tunbridge Wells hosted India v Zimbabwe in the 1983 world cup, where Kapil Dev saved the world cup winners.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
India v South Africa in 1999 was at Hove when it didn't hold many. My older brother got a ticket though. 😄

The aforementioned Nevill Ground in Tunbridge Wells hosted India v Zimbabwe in the 1983 world cup, where Kapil Dev saved the world cup winners.
I think Zimbabwe beat Australia that year.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not really a pity at all. At Surrey we have Vauxhall, Oval and plenty of bus routes south and north. Hove has a couple of
7-seater minibuses to Hove station.
Deary me, you need to up your banter, seeing as you've ran into the biggest bus nerd on NSC. Firstly the 7 seater buses were replaced by double deckers on an every few minutes route and, more importantly, everyone knows that it's best to get off at Palmeira Square anyway where buses go in all directions.

Sort it out buddy, or come home a bit more often. That there Surrey has turned your brains to mush.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Wasn't that the scene of the famous tied match ?

Yes, Deadly Derek at a wet Hastings was nowt to look forward to.
Neither was Worthing.
Sussex played their last ' festival ' ( back to back County matches ) there in about 1964. From memory it was Derbyshire and Warwickshire. Neither side reached 200 in eight innings. Sussex were bowled out for 23 in the 8th and final innings of those two games, never to return.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The old Central Ground must have been Derek Underwood's favourite venue.
Any uncovered wicket saw Deadly's eyes light up. Thats where he built his reputation. I've seen him take a far bit of stick on good wickets. Still a class performer, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here