Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Leicester is the ultimate sporting city. Both the football and rugby team have been English champions in the last ten years. Add the cricket team and it becomes a perfect place for the enthusiast.
Leicestershire County Cricket Club are the very definition of mediocre and have been for the 50 years I have been following cricket!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Leicestershire County Cricket Club are the very definition of mediocre and have been for the 50 years I have been following cricket!
Did you give up following cricket in the 90s when they won the Championship twice in three years?
Actually, looking at the total trophy wins, if we take mediocre to mean the median team, the teams that define mediocre are Notts and (drumroll...) Sussex. :ascarf::ascarf::ascarf:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ironically, in those 50 years, they haven't gone a decade without a trophy- winning more than Yorkshire and almost as many as Surrey !

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I'm not sure that the 'big team' theory applies so much in modern times of cricket where players are more transient. Back in the old days I suspect many played for the county they were from.

Yorkshire have three championships and two one day trophies in 50 years.

I guess it comes down to how we think of 'big'. Yorkshire is a famous old county cricket name. But, for decades, a not very successful one.

I suppose the football comparison would be.... Leeds United :ROFLMAO:

I think of Warwickshire as being 'big' county. They would never go long without a major trophy. Certainly not in modern times. In fact, taking a look, they haven't had a decade without a trophy since the 40s, often multiple trophies.
I think Surrey are the only county who can nowadays be meaningfully thought of as "big", since they are both currently successful and earn enough to get by without money from the ECB (I assume the ECB give them money anyway but that's another matter).
Obviously Yorkshire were back before overseas players, when they had the advantage of being literally the biggest county.
Warwickshire have the knack of wining just often enough that I never question their "big county" status, but infrequently enough that I almost never think about them.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
As well as the Leicestershire team under Illingworth in early-mid 70s.
Always amusing to look at old County Championships.
As you'll know there were 17 teams in 1 division back then, how many games do you think each team played?
No, you're wrong. It was 20. At least they all played the same number by then.

Interesting that Yorkshire finished 2nd, if they hadn't managed to get rid of Illingworth and Close at the same time at the end of the 60s they probably would have won a few more after 68.
Sussex came last, obviously.

Also worth noting that the expected average over rate was 19.5 per hour (weirdly specific but whatever).

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
As well as the Leicestershire team under Illingworth in early-mid 70s.
Actually the 1970s team I do and should have remembered. I was overseas a lot in the 90s, Warwickshire’s domination stands out for me from that period more than anything else.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Did you give up following cricket in the 90s when they won the Championship twice in three years?
Actually, looking at the total trophy wins, if we take mediocre to mean the median team, the teams that define mediocre are Notts and (drumroll...) Sussex. :ascarf::ascarf::ascarf:
They produced/developed some good players in the 80s / 90s.
Gower, Lewis, DeFreitas, Agnew, Wiley, Whittaker, Lewis, Nixon…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here