Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did I miss this photo from yesterday being discussed ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
People sometimes question Stokes’ place in the side, but this is why he’s there, nobody else in this England setup could play this sort of innings, probably nobody in world cricket could do it
I don't know how anyone could question his place in the side. His attitude, his selflessness, everything. Even when not scoring runs he is great value. A generational cricketer.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Obviously reported elsewhere but saw Cummins on the ITV news standing by the appeal and stating that Bairstow had done the self same thing in the 2019 series and in the First Test at Edgbaston?

Is he correct?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think there's a better comparison with this dismissal:

And this is what McCullum had to say about it years later.

The closest comparison that I recall goes back to 1981, that glorious year, when I discovered the game. I listened in the early hours to the Indian tour on TMS. The fact that I loved hearing what was probably the dullest series ever means this was a 'till death do us part' marriage.

In Bombay, Kris Srikanth was having an excellent debut and was ran out by John Emburey after leaving the crease in the same way as today. Gavaskar, who would have been captain, has always had issues with the English being preachy- especially after Bob Taylor was recalled when claiming he didn't nick a ball a year earlier. I think he's right, we do have form and in fairness, especially when we look at the eventual outcome of the Bell incident, I've always found the Indians, although not perfect, to lead the way in the 'spirit of cricket'.

It was interesting how Morgan and Strauss had little sympathy today. Same for me. Us English do hypocrisy better than anyone else. I didn't like what I saw, and I wouldn't have allowed it at village level. But I wouldn't cry 'cheat' at Test match or ODI level. England has as much history as anyone else and less goodwill than some.

Is a batsman not walking when they are caught against the spirit of the game ? Maybe we should ask Stuart Broad :ROFLMAO: You can see what I mean about a value needing to be universally applied before it gets judged under the 'spirit of the game' law.

Still, it adds spice to the affair and it's great entertainment. On that we can all agree.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Obviously reported elsewhere but saw Cummins on the ITV news standing by the appeal and stating that Bairstow had done the self same thing in the 2019 series and in the First Test at Edgbaston?

Is he correct?
He said he did the same to Warner in the first test.

Warner was out dragging on to Broad, and then caught behind. He wasn't out stumped.

2019 series - there were two stumpings. This was one. The other was off Root's bowling, so probably similar, but I can't find an image.

1688324295183.png

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Is he correct?
I don't think he successfully achieved it, but my creaking brain seems to be telling me England have attempted such things before.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
3 mcc members suspended,a few on here should be suspended too
There may be a thread for that. A very private one. I think you have to send a message before you can join.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The closest comparison that I recall goes back to 1981, that glorious year, when I discovered the game. I listened in the early hours to the Indian tour on TMS. The fact that I loved hearing what was probably the dullest series ever means this was a 'till death do us part' marriage.

In Bombay, Kris Srikanth was having an excellent debut and was ran out by John Emburey after leaving the crease in the same way as today. Gavaskar, who would have captain, has always has issues with the English being preachy- especially after Bob Taylor was recalled when claiming he didn't nick a ball a year earlier. I think he's right, we do have form and in fairness, especially when we look at the eventual outcome of the Bell incident, I've always found the Indians, although not perfect, to lead the way in the 'spirit of cricket'.

It was interesting how Morgan and Strauss had little sympathy today. Same for me. Us English do hypocrisy better than anyone else. I didn't like what I saw, and I wouldn't have allowed it at village level. But I wouldn't cry 'cheat' at Test match or ODI level. England has as much history as anyone else and less goodwill than some.

Is a batsman not walking when they are caught against the spirit of the game ? Maybe we should ask Stuart Broad :ROFLMAO: You can see what I mean about a value needing to be universally applied before it gets judged under the 'spirit of the game' law.

Still, it adds spice to the affair and it's great entertainment. On that we can all agree.
I tried to find a description of Srikkanth's dismissal, the best I can find is this article in hindi:

"Accident during test debut Chris Srikkanth's Test debut remains in controversy. In the first Test match of his career, this opening batsman of India made such a mistake that for a long time he remained a laughing stock in the team. Srikkanth made his Test debut during the match against England at Mumbai's Wankhede Stadium. He could not even open the account during the first innings. It was expected that runs would come from Srikanth's bat in the second innings, but due to his own mistake, he was out in this innings on a personal score of just 13 runs.

Actually, Srikanth is known as explosive batter but he was playing tuktuk in this match. They don't like doing that much. During batting, he was explaining to himself that he has to play slowly. At the score of 13 runs, he hit the ball in the direction of slip near John Embury. There was no run on this ball. Srikanth thought that he would throw the bad ball at the bowling end so that the next ball could be thrown. He himself was out of the crease. Meanwhile, the English player hit the ball directly on the wicket at the striker's end. In this way, Srikanth lost the wicket due to his own mistake.

After getting out, Srikanth sat on the pitch holding his head. At that time Nawab Pataudi was doing commentary. He said on Srikanth's move that it seemed that Srikanth had gone out for a walk on Juhu Beach. After returning to the pavilion, Srikkanth was also made fun of by Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar."

That's been put through Google translate, obviously. I can't read hindi.

I'd suggest there's a difference between walking out of your crease after letting the ball go through to the keeper, and hitting the ball to slip before going for a wander.

To be honest though, I'm not going to worry about seeming hypocritical based on incidents from more than 10 years before I was born.

Interestingly the Wisden report suggests Gower was previously run out by Srikkanth from short leg in perculiar circumstances, while making no reference at all to the Srikkanth's later dismissal. Which may suggest a degree of one-eyedness on the part of the report writer

I don't think it's cheating, and I think it's daft from Bairstow. But that doesn't stop it being a snide way to get somebody out.
Apart from anything else, I paid good money for my NowTV subscription, and I didn't pay it to watch anybody get dismissed by a gentle underarm from 15yds away while they weren't looking.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
FFS Can people stop saying the Aussies didn't cheat. NOBODY has actually accused them of that and if they have they don't know the rules. The debate to be had is the around the spirit of the game
I think most people on this thread get that. I certainly do.

If you take the laws of the game literally then batsmen could be out all the time via hit twice or handled the ball. Pretty much every time a defensive shot drops it dead at the batsman’s feet he’ll give it to the fielder in some way. Any appeal and he’s out. It’s just an unwritten rule that you don’t.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

In Bombay, Kris Srikanth was having an excellent debut and was ran out by John Emburey after leaving the crease in the same way as today. Gavaskar, who would have captain, has always has issues with the English being preachy- especially after Bob Taylor was recalled when claiming he didn't nick a ball a year earlier. I think he's right, we do have form and in fairness, especially when we look at the eventual outcome of the Bell incident, I've always found the Indians, although not perfect, to lead the way in the 'spirit of cricket'.

Actually, it just occurred to me that the best measure of how long ago that Bombay test took place is that not only was it before I was born, it was before James Anderson was born. :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Has anyone been stumped off a bouncer before today!?

Bit embarrassing for Green tbh.

Thing is with a stumping it’s about the batsman out of his crease to the ball, or off balance or going for a run. Bairstow did none of these things, didn’t attempt to hit it, didn’t attempt to run. The ball was effectively dead once caught by the keeper. He actually paused to mark his guard then left his crease - it was absolutely clear he thought it was dead.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think most people on this thread get that. I certainly do.

If you take the laws of the game literally then batsmen could be out all the time via hit twice or handled the ball. Pretty much every time a defensive shot drops it dead at the batsman’s feet he’ll give it to the fielder in some way. Any appeal and he’s out. It’s just an unwritten rule that you don’t.
Eh ? Standard practice to check with a fielder before you pick it up.……very quick ‘ok mate?’ followed by ‘thank you bat’.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Eh ? Standard practice to check with a fielder before you pick it up.……very quick ‘ok mate?’ followed by ‘thank you bat’.
That’s my precise point. Exactly what we always did in village and league. But if they then appeal then, in the laws of the game, it’s out. Fail to withdraw that appeal and you’re not exactly having a beer with the oppo after.

Standard practice not to run someone out going for an end of over chat, no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here