[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How did you manage that out of interest!?
I heard on TMS that tickets were available for the 5th day through the WarwickshireCCC website during their commentary today, so I had a look and there were still quite a few left. I managed to get 4 in a row for the kids and me (they all play cricket for school/university/Abergavenny). Edgebaston is our closest test ground (other than Sophia Gardens when they get a game) and the kids have all finished their exams now so I thought I’d treat them and myself.

The tickets were £25 or a fiver for under 16s.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I heard on TMS that tickets were available for the 5th day through the WarwickshireCCC website during their commentary today, so I had a look and there were still quite a few left. I managed to get 4 in a row for the kids and me (they all play cricket for school/university/Abergavenny). Edgebaston is our closest test ground (other than Sophia Gardens when they get a game) and the kids have all finished their exams now so I thought I’d treat them and myself.

The tickets were £25 or a fiver for under 16s.
Some pictures from the boundary please, and after all these years spell Edgbaston correctly. Tut, tut.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I just assumed he meant Watch From Home

replsay to s few emails, mute TV on phone . . . Safer than going to the pub for breakfast.
I'm fortunate to work from home so I have it one screen and work on the other two.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
If the rain at Edgbaston is anything like the rain over my house at the moment, the groundstaff will have their work cut out to get play on today.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If the rain at Edgbaston is anything like the rain over my house at the moment, the groundstaff will have their work cut out to get play on today.
Yes, I woke just before 6 with the incoming thunder storm in BN1. It's more or less passed through by now. Storms are heading north, and will hit Edgbaston, but ought to have cleared out the way by midday at the latest, although the odd shower might happen too.
I had a look at the weather back on Sunday, and thought it favoured England, so had a very small flutter on them winning. Note also that the odds suggest a draw is highly unlikely.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Seems the first session will be lost. Probably helps England as they will have a better time : runs equation and allow them to attack more, and force Australia to up the ante.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seems the first session will be lost. Probably helps England as they will have a better time : runs equation and allow them to attack more, and force Australia to up the ante.
The first session might go, but there'd be an extra hour at the end, on a dry pitch. Not sure much time is going to be lost really, not enough to prevent a win for either side anyway.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The first session might go, but there'd be an extra hour at the end, on a dry pitch. Not sure much time is going to be lost really, not enough to prevent a win for either side anyway.
Yes 100%, but I think losing a bit of time helps England as the Aussies haven’t scored quickly on this pitch at any point in the match so far

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes 100%, but I think losing a bit of time helps England as the Aussies haven’t scored quickly on this pitch at any point in the match so far
The Aussies have been reasonably consistent in going at around 3.5-4 an over, so if England weren't able to knock over these 7 wickets then they probably only need about 3-4 hours play to get the runs without increasing that rate, which should be dooable throughout the afternoon if the forecast is correct.

What's more in England's favour, other than the day-5 pitch, is the atmospheric swining conditions and the fact that those 3-4 hours play are likely to be interupted giving the strike bowlers a breather and meaning the batsmen can't get in a groove.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Aussies have been reasonably consistent in going at around 3.5-4 an over, so if England weren't able to knock over these 7 wickets then they probably only need about 3-4 hours play to get the runs without increasing that rate, which should be dooable throughout the afternoon if the forecast is correct.

What's more in England's favour, other than the day-5 pitch, is the atmospheric swining conditions and the fact that those 3-4 hours play are likely to be interupted giving the strike bowlers a breather and meaning the batsmen can't get in a groove.
Yes, this is very much my thinking too. What's even better for England is that it was an open question as to how many overs Moeen could bowl, and how well he'd perform. It's perfect conditions for Broad, Anderson and Robinson.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Rain for the next hour in Brum, should get started on time. Cloudy and humid...

Carpe Diem

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So are they going to get the morning off, followed by a day off nice weather? Or on and off all day?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I went to the first 4 days but not there today sadly! Going to loads of the rest of it though!!
You've watched an fa cup final and left at full time with the score 2 all, missing extra time and penalties.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not raining, but no play until 1.10 :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports