[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Despite throwing away many a promising position at least England have given themselves something to bowl at. Aussies still the favourites for me.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Which is why that is nowhere near enough. Australia will end up knocking these off relatively comfortably.

The number of times we've been poised to take control and then lost a wicket - we needed one or two of those partnerships to develop further. It didn't happen, and now we'll lose.

I reckon they will chase this down quite easily, wicket is still good to bat on and no front line spinner (didn’t really have one anyway)
They didn't match our first innings total, so why will they cruise past our second innings total easily / comfortably?

I reckon they will just about win, but think it's going to be close.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My feeling is that this could go either way. England will need to take their chances, though - Bairstow's performance with the gloves could be the difference.
Prescient !

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Aussies living dangerously and getting plenty of luck now. How long can they hold out before a nick or two?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Get injured pissing around on a golf course, straight back in the team, given the gloves back despite being visibly out of shape and exceptional gloveman in his place for the passed 9 months. He’s not dropped the Ashes once, it’s 4 times in this match alone.

First bloody over he could have had the place rocking. Didn’t even move. It’s like the old Yorkshire Mafia that he got his place straight back.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agree with the general sentiment here. Bringing Bairstow back seems a strange decision. It wouldn't have been an easy catch for any keeper, but you've got to at least try. If you're wearing gloves try and get everything near you

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Khawaja just looks so solid, has the look of a guy who is going to be extremely hard to get out on these sort of pitches

Looks very easy batting right now.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agree, Carey doesn’t miss Root’s stumping in 43 today - as tough a chance as Bairstow’s yesterday. Throw in some crucial dropped catches and the declaration actually slips well back in critical moments.
I fear this one has gone . We’ve made too many mistakes .

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I fear this one has gone . We’ve made too many mistakes .
Australia have made 15 chances in the game and taken 12 of them.

England taken five of their 10 chances in the field.

Meanwhile, Alex Carey took nine of his 10 opportunities behind the stumps, Jonny Bairstow is on just one from five so far.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agree with the general sentiment here. Bringing Bairstow back seems a strange decision. It wouldn't have been an easy catch for any keeper, but you've got to at least try. If you're wearing gloves try and get everything near you
It’s Old England thinking that makes it perplexing. Everything else is fresh positive new ways of doing things.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Australia have made 15 chances in the game and taken 12 of them.

England taken five of their 10 chances in the field.

Meanwhile, Alex Carey took nine of his 10 opportunities behind the stumps, Jonny Bairstow is on just one from five so far.
And that is the difference between winning and losing test matches

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Go for spin from both ends at this rate, especially to the left handers, ball is definitely spinning.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I am sure Bairstow should be relieved of the gloves for the next match but does he keep his place purely on his batting?

Who gets dropped ?
We will definitely need a spinner as Ali is probably injured.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports