[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The last two wickets yielded 44 runs. And that was without Joe Root.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The last two wickets yielded 44 runs. And that was without Joe Root.
Which is why that is nowhere near enough. Australia will end up knocking these off relatively comfortably.

The number of times we've been poised to take control and then lost a wicket - we needed one or two of those partnerships to develop further. It didn't happen, and now we'll lose.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I reckon they will chase this down quite easily, wicket is still good to bat on and no front line spinner (didn’t really have one anyway)

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Lets skittle them, finish it off today, and then I don't have to worry about missing the 'final' day at work tomorrow. Thanks!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Hoping for some better bowling conditions tomorrow.

New ball will be huge. Massive session coming up in the context of this series

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Maybe we are 30/50 short here if we lose everyone will bang on about declaring but I still say it was a good decision 2 wickets tonight game on

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Edgbaston 2005 all over again, just 281 to win this time instead of 282. Please not so close as then, my nerves couldn't take it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Which is why that is nowhere near enough. Australia will end up knocking these off relatively comfortably.

The number of times we've been poised to take control and then lost a wicket - we needed one or two of those partnerships to develop further. It didn't happen, and now we'll lose.
Will be the third highest chase ever at Edgbaston (and close to the second)....plenty of life in this game yet (unless weather tomorrow ruins it)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think you're all underestimating how hard this total will be for the Aussies to reach on a 4 day old pitch and in what will probably be swinging conditions going into the evening.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I think you're all underestimating how hard this total will be for the Aussies to reach on a 4 day old pitch and in what will probably be swinging conditions going into the evening.
Plus condition tomorrow morning should make batting difficult.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Will be the third highest chase ever at Edgbaston (and close to the second)....plenty of life in this game yet (unless weather tomorrow ruins it)
1) The game has progressed quickly so Australia will be getting those runs on a 3.5/4 day old pitch, not a 5 day pitch.
2) The pitch is behaving quite benignly
3) England threw away chances to take the game by the throat too many times in their second innings. Watch Australia show them how it's done.

I will be very surprised if Australia don't win this by 4 wickets or better.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If arguably England’s greatest ever batsman hadn’t been at the crease, you’d have a good point there.
That said the wacky declaration is not top of the list of reasons why we will probably lose this match. Bairstow’s fumbles have been disastrous.
Still, in Robbo we trust.
Agree, Carey doesn’t miss Root’s stumping in 43 today - as tough a chance as Bairstow’s yesterday. Throw in some crucial dropped catches and the declaration actually slips well back in critical moments.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
My feeling is that this could go either way. England will need to take their chances, though - Bairstow's performance with the gloves could be the difference.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I reckon they will chase this down quite easily, wicket is still good to bat on and no front line spinner (didn’t really have one anyway)
If they get a partnership or two going, yes.

But this is the Ashes. England have the scoreboard pressure currently. That means an awful lot despite a benign track.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
1) The game has progressed quickly so Australia will be getting those runs on a 3.5/4 day old pitch, not a 5 day pitch.
2) The pitch is behaving quite benignly
3) England threw away chances to take the game by the throat too many times in their second innings. Watch Australia show them how it's done.

I will be very surprised if Australia don't win this by 4 wickets or better.
Got to say, thought Cummins was exceptional and along with Lyon showed great resilience when England were charging.

I agree lots of England mistakes particular in the field, but this is a very good Aussie side still.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports