[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ooooh ! Naughty Langoustine !

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Well, those criticising the declaration had us adding at least 50 with only 2 wickets left and a new ball in 2 overs time....
If arguably England’s greatest ever batsman hadn’t been at the crease, you’d have a good point there.
That said the wacky declaration is not top of the list of reasons why we will probably lose this match. Bairstow’s fumbles have been disastrous.
Still, in Robbo we trust.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ooooh ! Naughty Langoustine !
It's beyond naughty it's claiming a catch after he scraped the ball for over 8 inches along the ground. To me the match ref should be having a word for such cheating.

Also can we have some English commentators on for longer than 5 minutes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed. I think we're well out of the game tbh.

But let's face it, I'm hardly likely to turn it off am I? It's Ashes cricket on a work day. Have a word with yourself eh?
I didn't know you could watch at work. I can't.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's beyond naughty it's claiming a catch after he scraped the ball for over 8 inches along the ground. To me the match ref should be having a word for such cheating.

Also can we have some English commentators on for longer than 5 minutes.
Yes, not in the Spirit of The Game....there is only one Aussie commentator, Jim Maxwell...who is extremely annoying..it seems worse because of Gillespie as summariser.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well, those criticising the declaration had us adding at least 50 with only 2 wickets left and a new ball in 2 overs time....
Even 20 or so would put us in a much better place.

Root had just hit 2 6s and was in his groove.

It was a stupid decision.

The fact we only had 2 wickets made it even worse

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Even 20 or so would put us in a much better place.

Root had just hit 2 6s and was in his groove.

It was a stupid decision.

The fact we only had 2 wickets made it even worse
In hindsight it was the wrong decision, as we didn't take any wickets at the end of Day 1.

But that doesn't make it a stupid decision.

This England team plays high risk, high reward cricket. Not everything they try will come off - that's the nature of the beast - but they will keep trying.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Whilst the early declaration was a little aggressive, if Broad didn't foot fault when bowling out Khawaja, we'd be leading by 40-odd more runs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In hindsight it was the wrong decision, as we didn't take any wickets at the end of Day 1.

But that doesn't make it a stupid decision.

This England team plays high risk, high reward cricket. Not everything they try will come off - that's the nature of the beast - but they will keep trying.
Agree - brilliant to watch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports