Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Had a lead of about 185-190 when I wrote that. That's a really strong position in the 3rd innings when you've got 5 wickets left and a reasonable tail that aren't going to get out without adding a fair few unless the pitch starts getting lively.
Yeh, I think we're favourites. Aussies will fancy chasing 250

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Had a lead of about 185-190 when I wrote that. That's a really strong position in the 3rd innings when you've got 5 wickets left and a reasonable tail that aren't going to get out without adding a fair few unless the pitch starts getting lively.
Wish I shared your confidence. The big difference is Australia have Lyon, already taken 3 of the 6 wickets in this 2nd innings, and we have Moeen who is not a patch on Lyon as a bowler and may not be able to bowl. It's still a fairly easy pitch against the seamers so I wouldn't be in any way confident unless our lead is at least 300.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm going to call it and say that we're not losing this game from here. We're either going to carry on scoring runs and post a 280+ lead, which the Aussies will be unlikley to reach, especially with rain forecast tomorrow. Alternatively, they take the last 5 wickets cheaply, in which case it means that the wicket has started to give the bowlers a lot of help and we'll probably bowl them out for less than 200.
You’re predicting like the team play……

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Wish I shared your confidence. The big difference is Australia have Lyon, already taken 3 of the 6 wickets in this 2nd innings, and we have Moeen who is not a patch on Lyon as a bowler and may not be able to bowl. It's still a fairly easy pitch against the seamers so I wouldn't be in any way confident unless our lead is at least 300.
This is it. Ali and Root are unlikely to apply enough pressure to bowl them out cheaply. Another 100 runs would be lovely

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oops ! 7 down and only 220 ish ahead, pendulum swings to the Convicts...we are getting strangled out.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Need 300 lead I feel. It’s not going to be much more than 230 is it? We’ll need an astonishing bowling performance to win from here you have to think.
Well, those criticising the declaration had us adding at least 50 with only 2 wickets left and a new ball in 2 overs time....

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Stokes looks nowhere near fit. It's clearly affecting his batting and bowling.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Aussies having a chat with Robbo. Great panto.

He is a capable batsman. There are still plenty of runs out there.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well, those criticising the declaration had us adding at least 50 with only 2 wickets left and a new ball in 2 overs time....
Root was seeing it like a football, Robbo was batting sensibly. Root could have farmed the strike if Jimmy came in. The field was as poorly set as has been throughout the match.

The new ball has done nothing in this match, except in poor conditions. It would just come harder off the bat.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
At first watch that looked like a flick from the helmet, didn't touch anything on the way through though.. wasn't anywhere near bat/glove.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
250-odd would be a decent if not spectacular score. With a good atmosphere and taking our chances (stumpings/catches) is it very doable to beat them

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Claiming a catch that you scrape the ball along the ground, terrible cheating. Now the Aussie cheat commentator trying to explain cheats

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here