Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with the comparisons with the way England are playing cricket to De Zerbi has got Brighton playing.

From the leadership comes innovation, positivity and a complete lack of fear. The result is compelling enthralling viewing. Sometimes it won't come off. But over the long term, you get the impression it will win us more than it loses.

This is why I won't criticise the declaration, even though it may cost us the match. You can't look at it in isolation, it's part of a wider way of thinking.
I've wrestled with my thoughts on that declaration and my conclusion is the same as yours. I don't agree that we left 50 runs out there. It could easily have been 15 (or less as it was with the Aussie final 2 wickets). In contrast, we had battered nearly 400 on a very hot day and Australia had a tricky 20 minutes to bat out. Obviously we didn't take the wicket so it was a gamble we lost, but to draw any further conclusion than that is a stretch.

As for today, the cricket is very, very watchable as England's style of play is likely to engineer a result. It's hard not to be happy that such a consistently bold batting strategy has tended to be rewarding. When you think how utterly shit England were until Bazball was taken up. We were as bad then as we are good now.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Absolutely nothing in this match in my view. I could easily see any 3 (or 4) results.

And for this series. No way is it going to be 4-0 to anyone. Both sides look well matched to me. Both sides with the odd weakness but many more strengths.

In this one the Aussies will fancy chasing anything under 250. Any lead over 300 puts us in a great position.

My main concern is that Stokes is moving with all the youthful freedom of Boris Karloff's Frankenstein

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Getting a bit hairy atm, score seems to have frozen and still only 140 ahead with 6 wickets in hand.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Absolutely nothing in this match in my view. I could easily see any 3 (or 4) results.

And for this series. No way is it going to be 4-0 to anyone. Both sides look well matched to me. Both sides with the odd weakness but many more strengths.

In this one the Aussies will fancy chasing anything under 250. Any lead over 300 puts us in a great position.

My main concern is that Stokes is moving with all the youthful freedom of Boris Karloff's Frankenstein
Interesting, as I'd fancy us to defend anything over 200 on a 4th innings pitch. Last 9 wickets have fallen for about 200 runs, and it's not going to get any easier.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Interesting, as I'd fancy us to defend anything over 200 on a 4th innings pitch. Last 9 wickets have fallen for about 200 runs, and it's not going to get any easier.
Historically 200 would win you more than you'd lose.

But I think this pitch looks fine and I don't look at Moeen and he that he's going to pick up 8-50 on the last day to win us a test (decent enough player that he is)

If it's only 200, Aussies will be firm favourites

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Brooks wicket was fair enough. Root's foolish.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Every single time in this match we have them where we want them we give them a wicket or don't take one. Is this just a case of Australia being a very good team!?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Brooks wicket was fair enough. Root's foolish.
Can't complain about either. Root was probably under instruction to spread the field and to keep the pressure on the bowler. Also, 46 runs from a batsman is a handy contribution in a 2nd innings regardless of how he got out.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Pope got a good ball. You see dismissals like Root and Brook on village greens around the country every weekend.

JB out... reviewing but seemed like it was out to me... on the stroke of lunch.

Crikey that was lucky!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is excruciating !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here