Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Surely if the game is washed out for the final two days we win on penalties ?

On first innings alone we scored more runs than them in 38 overs less than them and lost less wickets than them ?

I claim a (moral) victory !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I reckon this is called for the day....Could be a tricky first hours play which may decide where this Test is going.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Although if we win by bowling them out in the last possible over on Tuesday - then it will have been a genius decision!
I use my 'Bus to the AMEX' metaphor for that.

You have to get the bus otherwise you'll miss the match. It's on the opposite side of a busy road, you run across and get it. You arrive on time.

The fact that you didn't miss the match doesn't mean it's right to run across a busy road without looking for cars. More often than not you'll get run over.

Even if England win here, that declaration was still wrong. In my opinion anyway.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
May yet be going out there again tonight. Waiting for the decision. I hope not.

EDIT: Thankfully, it's off.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that the huge significance of Ashes cricket played a part in the umpires non-decision.. going to be huge pressure to try to get play for the broadcasters and the sell out crowd and so they put off the inevitable abandonment well past the time when they should have just said " thats it for the day " ..... first couple of hours on Monday is going to be pivotal for the Convicts, quick wickets and its 70/30 on an Aussie win.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It will never be a genius decision
Even if you don’t like the word genius it was certainly bold and despite losing a huge chunk of today’s play, and with 800 runs scored, a result is still favourite over the draw because of England’s aggression and bold decision to declare.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Taken from my seat at Edgbaston today, just before the rains came!

20230618_154436.jpeg

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Even if you don’t like the word genius it was certainly bold and despite losing a huge chunk of today’s play, and with 800 runs scored, a result is still favourite over the draw because of England’s aggression and bold decision to declare.
A result would still be the most likely result even if we'd carried on batting.
It's not as if we were likely to bat until tea on day two. There were, what, 6 overs left in the day's play? The batters have to reset themselves the next morning, so the chances are we would have been bowled out early on the second morning.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Is it just me? I know that Duckett likes to play the ball but I think he should/ could have left both balls that got him dismissed in this match. Commentators talk about him not leaving* many but hope he doesn’t start to play up to it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Silly declaration and missed chances
But we’re more than still in . Shame we haven’t got a top spinner for the 4th innings without blisters

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
But we’re more than still in . Shame we haven’t got a top spinner for the 4th innings without blisters because he doesn’t know what a red ball does anymore

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Is it just me? I know that Duckett likes to play the ball but I think he should/ could have left both balls that got him dismissed in this match. Commentators talk about him not leaving* many but hope he doesn’t start to play up to it.
Nope, it's not just you.
Apparently Duckett faced 38 balls in this Test, and left none of them. It's just not (Test) cricket

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But we’re more than still in . Shame we haven’t got a top spinner for the 4th innings without blisters
I prefer Root to Ali in that role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here