[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Aside from that one ball that ragged I don’t see much in this surface for fast or spin bowlers, it’s an extremely docile deck, if England hadn’t been so wasteful I’d have said 320 odd for 5 isn’t a bad restriction of scoring.

Our pace attack does look very ‘samey’ on flat pitches like this, obviously it doesn’t always work like that but we do lack that bowler who can rough the batsman up and force them back a bit.

Re the bairstow drops, Foakes should be in this side, I’m really not sure why he isn’t to be honest, he’s performed very well, the wicket keeper is one of the most important players in the team and shouldn’t just be an after thought.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
Aside from that one ball that ragged I don’t see much in this surface for fast or spin bowlers, it’s an extremely docile deck, if England hadn’t been so wasteful I’d have said 320 odd for 5 isn’t a bad restriction of scoring.

Our pace attack does look very ‘samey’ on flat pitches like this, obviously it doesn’t always work like that but we do lack that bowler who can rough the batsman up and force them back a bit.
Mark wood should be in the side instead of Anderson on this kind of pitch

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Still could skittle them out for 380 but they could just as easily go on to 480 plus… it’s still game on.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Mark wood should be in the side instead of Anderson on this kind of pitch
Robinson hasn’t really looked himself, doesn’t look in a great bowling rhythm, perhaps the on/off injuries and fitness haven’t really helped.

It’s unfortunate all of Englands express pace bowlers are plagued by injuries, I always think even if the express pace doesn’t take the wicket they open up the game for the other bowlers by forcing the batsman back a bit, and obviously against the tail who England always struggle to get out.

The pace bowlers have actually bowled pretty well really, they’ve restricted the Aussies to very slow scoring against them, Moeens figures are the problem ones as knowing you can flog the spinner takes pressure off scoring when you face the other bowlers.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What’s Nassers beef with Bairstow? Seems to have a pop at any opportunity 🤷‍♂️

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Captain hindsight.

I highly doubt the reason we’ve turned into butter fingers and over stepping is because we declared early, we have had more than enough chances to have got this lot out for well under our score.
Absolutely. We should have been batting last night.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Robinson doesn’t look fit. Looping it down at 77mph. And Swann called it that Ali’s fingers wouldn’t stand up to long spells with the Dukes ball having not played red ball cricket for so long. Ominous

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports