Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 1st Test, Birmingham, June 16 - 20, 2023

Ashes- 1st Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Unfortunately it’s a bit like the England football team a closed shop and certain players always play
I mean Bairstow justified his selection with the bat, just not with the gloves.

I would think Bazball would place a premium on taking a chance. Trying to slide a batsmen who can keep adequately but not exceptionally seems to go against the philosophy.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Probably could have done with those possible extra 20 runs or so we could have got last night now....
Could have been more than that as well as Root was in the zone. that would added extra pressure on the Aussises chasing a higher total.
But we had 4 crucial overs to overide this?
I like the attaking play of Bazbull, but like the last test against New Zealand it may cause a loss when it was not necessary

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Could have been more than that as well as Root was in the zone. that would added extra pressure on the Aussises chasing a higher total.
But we had 4 crucial overs to overide this?
I like the attaking play of Bazbull, but like the last test against New Zealand it may cause a loss when it was not necessary
Forget the declaration, we’ve missed a regulation stumping, catch, and no ball wicket which most likely we’d be batting again now if taken. That’s not to mention other half chances.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This pitch is really extremely docile isn’t it, wonder what made the curator prepare such a slow deck?

Reminds me of a modern Indian pitch, given the threat of rain tomorrow a draw feels quite likely but then England hate draws.

305-5 and Smith and Marnus barely even troubled the scorers.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
300/5 can see them getting a lead 🤦‍♀️
Just trying to think the equivalent of dropping Foakes for Bairstow with the gloves - I know our hand was forced but maybe Gross at right back?

We’ve absolutely f***ed this today. Nothing to do with our batting or declaration. Foakes has been crucial to Bazball over the last year because he is exceptional with the gloves. Such hubris to ditch him because you accept a stumping might be missed but you might got a few more runs.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Just trying to think the equivalent of dropping Foakes for Bairstow with the gloves - I know our hand was forced but maybe Gross at right back?

We’ve absolutely f***ed this today. Nothing to do with our batting or declaration. Foakes has been crucial to Bazball over the last year because he is exceptional with the gloves. Such hubris to ditch him because you accept a stumping might be missed but you might got a few more runs.
Not only that, but how many times has Foakes made a major contribution with the bat in a wagging tail?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bairstow’s reactions seem a bit slow. Obvs no wicket keepers are familiar with Ali (red ball)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not only that, but how many times has Foakes made a major contribution with the bat in a wagging tail?
I know, the decision just doesn’t fit the approach.

If you declare aggressively it means youre placing a premium on wickets and if you do that you need an exceptional glove man.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
England could and should be batting now with a big lead. Very poor by Bairstow and Broad should have done better.

Foakes is the equivalent of Pascal Gross in the Albion team, he isn’t the star player and often goes unnoticed but when he’s not there we sure as hell miss him.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
England could and should be batting now with a big lead. Very poor by Bairstow and Broad should have done better.

Foakes is the equivalent of Pascal Gross in the Albion team, he isn’t the star player and often goes unnoticed but when he’s not there we sure as hell miss him.

We have quality players but already we’ve made a questionable declaration and half a dozen schoolboy errors.
Occasional moments of inspiration, mixed with raggedness, won’t be enough to beat this ultra solid Aussie team.
If we tighten up, then we can take them.

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Test cricket sadly seems to be a dying sport. England v Ausies the main attraction.
The other cricketing nations are more interested in the 1 day day form of the game.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I keep saying that you ALWAYS play your best keeper. So I won't mention it again.

Oh, I've mentioned it again.
And Foakes is a decent bat too. No Johnny bairstow but a decent eight with Moeen at seven.
Not sure who you drop though. The most out of form bat is….stokes. Given he’s undroppable, I wouldn’t cry if Pope missed out.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We have quality players but already we’ve made a questionable declaration and half a dozen schoolboy errors.
Occasional moments of inspiration, mixed with raggedness, won’t be enough to beat this ultra solid Aussie team.
If we tighten up, then we can taken them.
Kind of feels like a first half where you have battered them, had 15 chances, went 1 nil up, should have scored a couple more, but you made a mistake at the back and gone in 1-1 at HT with the opposition with the tails up.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
A few missed opportunities for England today, for sure, but overall it feels like the Aussies gave us a reminder lesson in building a good old solid test match innings today.

No rush, no risks, just steadily amass runs and momentum, turning the screw ever tighter.

And that wahey Bazball lets declare now bravado getting a bit of a schooling as a result.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And Foakes is a decent bat too. No Johnny bairstow but a decent eight with Moeen at seven.
Not sure who you drop though. The most out of form bat is….stokes. Given he’s undroppable, I wouldn’t cry if Pope missed out.
Ollie Pope for me, with either Brooks or Bairstow at 3 if Foakes comes in.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A few missed opportunities for England today, for sure, but overall it feels like the Aussies gave us a reminder lesson in building a good old solid test match innings today.

No rush, no risks, just steadily amass runs and momentum, turning the screw ever tighter.

And that wahey Bazball lets declare now bravado getting a bit of a schooling as a result.
Not really. The big schooling today was that in any tight game, you cannot make basic mistakes. Aussies bowled 3 no balls in our first innings, we've bowled 13, missed a regulation stumping and catch. Nothing to do with bravado, that is just performance.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Ollie Pope for me, with either Brooks or Bairstow at 3 if Foakes comes in.
Quick reminder Ollie Pope is vice captain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here