Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Argus and its "story" on Ben White...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I loathe The Argus.

There is plenty a local newspaper can offer to its community; but the Argus offers nothing.

The Argus isn't really a local newspaper - not since it was taken over by the American Newsquest empire. Click on the reporters profiles and see where their stories are published - a vast majority appear in many publications across the country. Then of course you have the articles ripped off other websites - every Sunday morning an article about a house most of us couldn't possibly afford just ripped off Rightmove. Or indeed their regular "look at the restaurant hygiene scores for this month" ripped from the council website.

I particularly liked the story of a woman who helped her parents save an old dining table .... by painting it !!!! Oh, and it was in BOLTON !!!! Yet they persist with the 'Local News is Important' line to try and get you to subscribe. Well publish local news you utter fvckwits !!!! Brighton and Hove News is far better even if they have been stupid enough to publish illiterate articles by Piss Off Timmy.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
...the local paper plummets to a new low.

I won't bother even linking it but the Argus website is leading on a story on Ben White having deleted a Spotify playlist titles 'sex' after someone on social media mention it.

Not what I call news. No right of reply for the club or the player. Utter rubbish raked off social media. I don't blame the reporter who is no doubt a low paid junior but the so-called senior editorial staff there.

A new low in local journalism.

as a paper its woeful....c grade at best , shame .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Some precious souls on this thread. Pay peanuts you get monkeys. And you don’t even pay peanuts.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
Do they not fund a lot of Sussex based charities?

Yes, but so do a lot of millionaires because you can save quite a bit of tax on it - donations doesn't make it necessarily a source of good for the local community.

The Argus isn't really a local newspaper - not since it was taken over by the American Newsquest empire. Click on the reporters profiles and see where their stories are published - a vast majority appear in many publications across the country. Then of course you have the articles ripped off other websites - every Sunday morning an article about a house most of us couldn't possibly afford just ripped off Rightmove. Or indeed their regular "look at the restaurant hygiene scores for this month" ripped from the council website.

I particularly liked the story of a woman who helped her parents save an old dining table .... by painting it !!!! Oh, and it was in BOLTON !!!! Yet they persist with the 'Local News is Important' line to try and get you to subscribe. Well publish local news you utter fvckwits !!!! Brighton and Hove News is far better even if they have been stupid enough to publish illiterate articles by Piss Off Timmy.

I never really considered the fact they were bought out a few years back, and I never really looked into the alleged journalists. But I agree about Brighton & Hove independent, much better - but thankfully, if I see good ol' Timothy's name by an article. I skip ;)

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I see the 'story' has now been taken down by the Argus.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I see the demise of local news as a huge shame.

All over the country, once great local papers are resorting to horrendous clickbait type stories to stave off the inevitable for another year or so.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I'm sorry but had the good people of Worthing know about this before welcoming young Mr White to our community, a petition would have gone round very quickly.

He lives along the road from me, seems a well mannered fellow, give me a thumbs up when I give him an up the Albion the other week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here