Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus: "Albion won't be rushed as they focus on getting right man as manager"

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
So have others.
Although unreported, Ole Gunnar Solskaer has been to two recent BHA games.

Probably to make himself feel better that there is actually a team worse than the Cardiff team he created.

He would be the worst appointment possible, probably behind reappointing Hyypia.

meanmachine25

Jan 24, 2009
Karl Robinson only said he was in charge for the next 2 games...........just a thought....not necessarily the right thought but a thought all the same ;)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We seemed to take ages over the appointment of SH and look where that got us. FFS, hire a proven manager and stop all this endless interviewing.

Sammy Lee's defection is now cast in a different light.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Seems an odd headline to get upset about....especially when the opposite would be:

"Albion WILL be RUSHED as they are NOT BOTHERED about getting the right manager"

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
'It's an interesting offer but I'm just a bit concerned about the way Gus Poyet was dismissed after doing an exceptional job. Could you enlighten me to put my mind at rest?' 'Unfortunately I am unable to divulge any information for legal reasons. Will you take the job?' 'I'll get back to you on that, I have some other options to consider.'

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
We lose a few of our loan players as well, surely it will be down to the new manager how we move forward and until he is appointed we are standing still while other clubs make their moves in the transfer window. A lot of these deals are in motion before the window opens. Once again we will be late in getting players in

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
'It's an interesting offer but I'm just a bit concerned about the way Gus Poyet was dismissed after doing an exceptional job. Could you enlighten me to put my mind at rest?' 'Unfortunately I am unable to divulge any information for legal reasons. Will you take the job?' 'I'll get back to you on that, I have some other options to consider.'

IMO the question for candidates to ask is 'given what he had achieved why did Gus feel the need to look elsewhere just as the Albion closed in on the play offs for promotion to the PL - and throw away his chance of having that on his CV?

Depending on the response there would be some very pertinent follow up questions too.

Personally I feel that candidates for the Albion manager's job should feel assured that it is a club that largely does things by the book. Look at how the last 3 managers have departed - none of them were knee jerk sackings, unlike at so many other clubs. Cough: Palace this week. Parish: 'I thought about it overnight and decided it was necessary'.

To be fair to Palace know what sort of decisive actions are required and have acted without too much delay, thereby giving themselves a fighting chance of PL survival.

Whereas in practice the Albion have probably been a bit too fair.....especially with Hyypia. It was a calculated risk by the Board to allow Hyypia plenty of time to turn things around and it didn't work out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seems an odd headline to get upset about....especially when the opposite would be:

"Albion WILL be RUSHED as they are NOT BOTHERED about getting the right manager"

Not really. It's not as if you HAVE to have one of those two headlines is it?

I'd like to believe the truth was that Albion are prepared to pay what is necessary to get the right man, but he must be in place by the first week of January when the transfer window opens. But personally, given the tight-arsed muppetry of the summer, I tend to believe this is closer to the truth:

In other words our targets have turned us down so its gonna take longer

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
IMO the question for candidates to ask is 'given what he had achieved why did Gus feel the need to look elsewhere just as the Albion closed in on the play offs for promotion to the PL - and throw away his chance of having that on his CV?

Depending on the response there would be some very pertinent follow up questions too.

Personally I feel that candidates for the Albion manager's job should feel assured that it is a club that largely does things by the book. Look at how the last 3 managers have departed - none of them were knee jerk sackings, unlike at so many other clubs. Cough: Palace this week. Parish: 'I thought about it overnight and decided it was necessary'.

To be fair to Palace know what sort of decisive actions are required and have acted without too much delay, thereby giving themselves a fighting chance of PL survival.

Whereas in practice the Albion have probably been a bit too fair.....especially with Hyypia. It was a calculated risk by the Board to allow Hyypia plenty of time to turn things around and it didn't work out.
Yes but Palace seem to be the exemption to this season's rule in the Prem. Maybe Bloom delayed sacking SH because he wanted to show he's not a hire and fire chap. I just want to know why Poyet was sacked. I'm not a kid!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Drama queens on this thread. No direct quotes so basically nothing has changed since yesterday.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Obviously not learnt our lesson then? Did the same appointing Oscar and took a while to get going. Did the same with Sami and look how that ended up. Did the same with tying up the Ward deal, did the same with the Clayton deal, do we ever learn? Football moves quickly in this day and age.

Oscar was announced two days after gus was fired. Oscar quit after the last game of the season, Sami was in place before the players returned for pre-season.

The appointments of the managers were fine. Sami's failure isn't becuase we took a few more days to pick him. It was the lack of experienced number two, the lack of replacing the players we lost, injuries, the losing momentum, some bad luck, other teams spending big despite ffp, etc.

Taking a week or two to get the right manager in is not what will ruin our season, it is the right thing to do.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not really. It's not as if you HAVE to have one of those two headlines is it?

Of course, you are right.

My point is merely highlighting that people are taking this headline as some sort of difinitive statement which is equally as ridiculous as my suggested headline.

It's blindingly obvious that the Argus have NOTHING to go on. Is that a dig at the Argus? Not really.

But a local paper NEEDS to cover the story of the Albions manager search in some form. Sadly, if they have NOTHING to go on, this will always be the type on non-descipt headline to emerge. It then just falls into the laps of people, previously burnt by the last summer, to suddenly read FAR too much into this and panic.

"what do you mean they're not rushed!!!??!?!?".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here