Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus: "Albion won't be rushed as they focus on getting right man as manager"

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Rather than reveal any tangible evidence of progression/regression in the appointment process, this actually sheds greater light on the journalistic impotence of the Argus.

Naylor seems to hedge more bets than Tony Bloom. It just seems another stream of platitudes to fill a white space on the website. I do appreciate the club is most likely stifling any hope of exclusive material, but in most cases it's probably best to refrain from publishing anything, than the blitz of non-stories.

Here's a translation:

1 Albion are taking their time over the appointment (translation: Albion haven't recruited anyone yet)

2 Albion focus on the 'right man' (as opposed to the 'wrong man')

3 Albion are working through a 'methodical selection process' (oh I see, so they're taking this seriously? Phew...)

4 Albion are focusing on the short and long term (can anyone ever remember a club quite boldly announcing 'The new guy is only a short term fix. We'll look elsewhere in the summer'.)

5 Oh and they've quoted the odds from the bookies' websites.

6 And quoted Chris Hughton from his interview on Sky Sports.

7 Add in some facts about their relegation rivals (Millwall lost on Saturday etc)

And there you have it.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Get a move on Bloom and don't be a fool. It's been a week and a whole 2 months of terrible football prior to that. Your due diligence and drawn out interview process hasn't worked previously with 3 managers walking out on you. We seem to be so wrapped up in ourselves as a club. You need to really move to get these people and we better be close otherwise we'll just appoint NJ or is that what they want anyway. It better not be a case bargaining down on £ with managers as the best appointment would save or earn millions with ticket sales, better player recruitment etc.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I still can't get into my head why Bloom ignored the evidence of his own eyes. The manager was quickly undoing all the good work of previous seasons. The ship was sinking but the board continued to back Hyypia. The fans could all see it going wrong and were naturally concerned.
You can cite that the players aren't good enough but there was no organisation or tactical nous at all. It was shambolic. He couldn't lead, couldn't inspire and couldn't win games of football. I can only assume that either TB knows naff all about football, is very stubborn and determined not to be proved wrong or is being poorly advised.
Whatever, the wasted extra six weeks that Hyypia spent at BHA could cost us dear.

It's baffling. If there hadn't been the major investment from Bloom he'd be massively criticised for the decisions made over the last couple of years. I can't believe that such a successful operator can make what appears to be such a series of foul ups. Even if it's bad advice from those he's brought in surely he would be questioning this and taking action? However you look at it Bloom has the ability to over-ride what he's being told/advised and do what he sees fit. Really strange. Perhaps it's just the fact that football turns successful business men into less successful business men.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Get a move on Bloom and don't be a fool. It's been a week and a whole 2 months of terrible football prior to that. Your due diligence and drawn out interview process hasn't worked previously with 3 managers walking out on you. We seem to be so wrapped up in ourselves as a club. You need to really move to get these people and we better be close otherwise we'll just appoint NJ or is that what they want anyway. It better not be a case bargaining down on £ with managers as the best appointment would save or earn millions with ticket sales, better player recruitment etc.
innit..!

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Shirley there is an element of urgency if the club has any intention of getting some new soccerists during the transfer window!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
What makes me laugh is the term interviews, used like the club are recruiting for a office manager....

Its a football job - the question "what qualities do you think you can bring to our business?" won't mean f all.

If they don't know their history, style of play, their coaching skills, formation and contacts before they do a formal chat to make an offer then they shouldn't be involved in the recruitment of a manager anyway let alone running a Championship club .
The candidates we should be picking from are supposed to be experienced Championship managers, any flaws will be known already, its the offer and money talk that will seal the deal. All this fanning about while the Amex burns is costing us points and we might as well wait for Russell Salde to get the boot from Cardiff - he has the qualities and experience to get us out of League 1!

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Does "Won't be rushed" mean "Can't be arsed?" and we'll end up with whatever is left over when everybody else is sorted out.
Probably the cheapest option and the least likely to rock any boats.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
What makes me laugh is the term interviews, used like the club are recruiting for a office manager....

Its a football job - the question "what qualities do you think you can bring to our business?" won't mean f all.

If they don't know their history, style of play, their coaching skills, formation and contacts before they do a formal chat to make an offer then they shouldn't be involved in the recruitment of a manager anyway let alone running a Championship club .
The candidates we should be picking from are supposed to be experienced Championship managers, any flaws will be known already, its the offer and money talk that will seal the deal. All this fanning about while the Amex burns is costing us points and we might as well wait for Russell Salde to get the boot from Cardiff - he has the qualities and experience to get us out of League 1!
Yeah. Last time he was taking out of League 1 alright!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
What a joke of a post. How anyone can seriously think the board want us in League 1 is ridiculous.

What exactly do you think Pulis, Hughton etc would have thought weeks ago? Would they believe no other job would ever come up and take ours in panic at being unemployed forever? No, they would quite possibly have kept their options open for a Premier League job, as they may well do now! Some of our so called fans need to take a serious look at themselves!

Hughton would have been unlikely to think he'd walk into a Premiership post a few weeks ago. Far more likely to have taken the Brighton job a few weeks ago, especially as it seems he narrowly missed out last time around. I still think that may well happen this time around but Palace does change that slightly as it's a relatively low risk job; another miracle is unlikely and most would accept/understand that. I agree re Pulis but why then confirm to the local press that you have spoken with him/interviewed him? All this does is make the final appointment clearly a 2nd or lower choice.

If we pull a major surprise out of the bag then I'll eat my words but I fully expect an underwhelming 3rd/4th choice appointment after more dynamic management at other clubs sort themselves out. All this stuff about taking time to make the right choices is fine as long as it isn't made by the club that is looking for its 4th manger in a couple of years and that has 7-8 new recruits that don't make the matchday squad. I certainly feel like I've been taken for a mug whenever I read that we're taking the time to make the right appointment and we won't be rushed' line. Especially when it follows the 'we'll be making a quick appointment this time around considering league position and January transfer window' stuff that came from Barber previously. What's changed? Poor response to the clubs plans and restrictions in the interview process perhaps?

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Oh for love of God, what's a matter with you lot? What do you want...a rush job just to get someone in the door in the hope they will do something in the January window? Most will surely moan about one of the current managers available being selected, everyone is already split on that, and most of the choices available are unrealistic. There are big premiership jobs available, likely more to come, so it seems unlikely we will be the first port of call. Secondly we are already too late for the January window unless the ground work has already been done.

The endless winging, the manager is gone, the head of football operations is gone. You've got what you want, we all now want the next move to be THE one...the one who gets us up in the next few seasons. That's not going to take a week or two to solve and there is no point in adding the extra constraint that they have to be English.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
One can praise Tony Bloom for many things,however his control over team management affairs ,is not one of them .

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Does "Won't be rushed" mean "Can't be arsed?" and we'll end up with whatever is left over when everybody else is sorted out.
Probably the cheapest option and the least likely to rock any boats.

Yes life is a pointless misery of a cup half empty.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hughton would have been unlikely to think he'd walk into a Premiership post a few weeks ago. Far more likely to have taken the Brighton job a few weeks ago, especially as it seems he narrowly missed out last time around. I still think that may well happen this time around but Palace does change that slightly as it's a relatively low risk job; another miracle is unlikely and most would accept/understand that. I agree re Pulis but why then confirm to the local press that you have spoken with him/interviewed him? All this does is make the final appointment clearly a 2nd or lower choice.

If we pull a major surprise out of the bag then I'll eat my words but I fully expect an underwhelming 3rd/4th choice appointment after more dynamic management at other clubs sort themselves out. All this stuff about taking time to make the right choices is fine as long as it isn't made by the club that is looking for its 4th manger in a couple of years and that has 7-8 new recruits that don't make the matchday squad. I certainly feel like I've been taken for a mug whenever I read that we're taking the time to make the right appointment and we won't be rushed' line. Especially when it follows the 'we'll be making a quick appointment this time around considering league position and January transfer window' stuff that came from Barber previously. What's changed? Poor response to the clubs plans and restrictions in the interview process perhaps?

I still think we'll get Hughton if we want him. In terms of Pulis, where in the article does it quote anyone from the Albion? It could just as easily have been guesses by the Argus or come from Pulis himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here