Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The AMEX's capacity after expansion?

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Just wondering what the number is?

Saw on another thread the other day a poster saying that next summer could see the Amex expanded further bringing it up to 30k?

I apologise if this has been stated before (I'm sure it has), but would it be possible to accommodate more than 30k?

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
30k is the maximum. 30k is also the average gate in the premiership

imagine we'd increase it incrementally up to that figure i.e. fill the corners first, then add a second east stand tier.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The 30k capacity could be dependent on the club finding another 6 P&R sites within a 10 mile radius.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
they'll have to prove that the transport works first, and that it would also be able to deal with nother 8000 people on top of its current workload

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Currency capacity (approx) - may differ by a hundred or so I think.
West 11,500
East 6,000
North 2,500
South 2,500.

(Hypothetically) add a tier for East to bring it up to 11,500 and fill in the corners (approx 500-750 each?) and the overall figure would be 30,000-31,000.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Expansion to 30,000 is easy - but transport issues need to be proven.

Expansion beyond 30,000 possible but need good architects, innovative ideas, and a lot of cash...

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
From what I understand the ground is designed to be expanded to 30-32k (give or take) and then that's final as you can't just lift the roof off and pop another tier in given the design of it.

I always wondered if we could secure use of Bennet's field as a car park permanently and somehow build an exit directly onto the A27 from it.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
30,500- might be options to expand further but this would require more costly work like canterlevering boxes, like the security box is at the moment. Two of the corners could be made two-tiered as well.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Got to hope and pray that transport to and from the ground works out o.k.
That is my biggest concern.

Martin Perry told me at my ST presentation that corners and East stand upper would make it 30k. I got the impression it would be exactly 30k.

If anyone of the opinion that a 2nd tier in the north, south and corners is possible? Or could boxe be added here?

Making the north stand a terrace would have a good 1000!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A safe standing terrace wouldn't increase the capacity of the North Stand.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I thought the idea behind safe standing is that it's got the same capacity as seating but without the seats.

Exactly , you have personal space instead of being crammed in like a sardine. Safe standing areas might still have seats that fold upright and barrier supports in front of you to stop a crush.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I thought the idea behind safe standing is that it's got the same capacity as seating but without the seats.
Nope, quite the opposite, it has greater capacity, but with seats that fold up and can be used when "all-seater" is required.

Exactly , you have personal space instead of being crammed in like a sardine. Safe standing areas might still have seats that fold upright and barrier supports in front of you to stop a crush.
Yeeeeees, do you realise how much leg room we have at Falmer? We could have twice as many people standing in that space without being crammed in like a sardine, as you put it.

When the areas are used for standing you have two people standing behind each seat.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not getting ahead of myself here (honest, I promise):
If we are able to expand the stadium to 30k and fill it, we'll have done very well and I'll be delighted.
But if we do make it to the premiership (and that's their aim), and we can stay there (or come down, go back), and we make the most of our catchment area, is there not the potential to have more than 30k fans at our home games, going to see premiership opposition?
And if so, how much more would it have cost to design the stadium to start with 22 (as we have), but have a maximum potential of 40k?

It would seem daft if we do get to fill 30k (which is still a long way off, I appreciate I'm dreaming a little) and then turn fans away because we didn't bother to allow for a miracle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here