Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Alzate error

we need to forget this passing from the back b*llocks when the opposing team press so high THEY HAD MORE PLAYERS in our area than we did when ryan rolled the ball.

we need to mix it up. Maybe if Ryan had pick the ball up and bounced it on the ground half a dozen times, chelsea player will likely have fallen back expecting him to lob the ball into their half, when defence wouldnt be under such pressure - 5 vs 5 in our half. and 4 vs 5 if u discount white who is not in play on the far right

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The whole point of passing around at the back is to draw the press on the flanks and leaving space through the middle.
Inviting the opponents to fall back and pack the midfield is exactly what we don't want.

Having seen the stills posted on here, I concede that the pass to Alzate was not at the optimal time, but he was still in plenty of space..
No excuse for the poor pass.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I support us playing out from the back. However the pass to the central midfielder facing goal is never really the percentage pass, they are under huge pressure when receiving this ball. Maty's first port of call should be to look for a full back. They can then look in field and the CM will then be in a much better body position to see and play a forward pass. Also then if there is a cock up, the attacking player we've given it to is wider giving more time for defensive cover to get back.

Six Chelsea players in the picture, pressing high on 4 BHA defenders. No room for error. The bigger clubs know how we play and are looking for the forward ball from Ryan ( which is the one that gets us in trouble every time ) They don't get touch tight, just close enough to make sure the Brighton players know they are there. Alzate is just one in a list of players who have made a critical error receiving the ball, facing their own goal. I love the way we play, I just think that it is far less effective against the better teams.....Man U( H ) 0-3...Liverpool ( H ) 1-3....City ( H ) 0-5....Chelsea ( H ) 1-3.....14 goals conceded in 4 games and in at least 2 of those games, critical errors playing out from the back that directly led to goals and influenced the result. It sounds basic but if we keep giving goals away to the better teams, we may as well go long and wide against them every time and force them back into the channels and away from our goal. Maupay and Connolly are pretty quick. Lets test them more on the shoulder of the last man.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Six Chelsea players in the picture, pressing high on 4 BHA defenders. No room for error. The bigger clubs know how we play and are looking for the forward ball from Ryan ( which is the one that gets us in trouble every time ) They don't get touch tight, just close enough to make sure the Brighton players know they are there. Alzate is just one in a list of players who have made a critical error receiving the ball, facing their own goal. I love the way we play, I just think that it is far less effective against the better teams.....Man U( H ) 0-3...Liverpool ( H ) 1-3....City ( H ) 0-5....Chelsea ( H ) 1-3.....14 goals conceded in 4 games and in at least 2 of those games, critical errors playing out from the back that directly led to goals and influenced the result. It sounds basic but if we keep giving goals away to the better teams, we may as well go long and wide against them every time and force them back into the channels and away from our goal. Maupay and Connolly are pretty quick. Lets test them more on the shoulder of the last man.
Excellent post !!!

Can already write off any points Vs United in a couple of weeks if we do the same old same old. Despite playing lovely tippy tappy football like last season and some clever interplay I just felt like it was the same as last season.

Top 6 teams don't mind letting us play and making us look good. They know they will take the points anyway and barely break a sweat.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I wrote at the time, on the match day thread, that it was a bit of a rubbish pass from Ryan. I didnt mean that it wasnt partly Alzates' fault but just that it wasnt solely his "fault". Its been mentioned numerous times here about how Stephens and Propper have both done the same thing in the same position so maybe thats where the real fault lies and is the lesson that should be learned.
Id much rather have SA in that position than DS or DP and think/hope that he nails it there as I think he will be a big improvement in the long term.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I wrote at the time, on the match day thread, that it was a bit of a rubbish pass from Ryan. I didnt mean that it wasnt partly Alzates' fault but just that it wasnt solely his "fault". Its been mentioned numerous times here about how Stephens and Propper have both done the same thing in the same position so maybe thats where the real fault lies and is the lesson that should be learned.
Id much rather have SA in that position than DS or DP and think/hope that he nails it there as I think he will be a big improvement in the long term.

This goal had nothing to do with Ryan. It was a decent pass. And a pass he is told to perform.

The goal lies solely with Alzate. Who I love by the way. Again it was a no look pass, he had plenty of time for a touch and a sensible pass.

He will learn from it though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
we need to mix it up. Maybe if Ryan had pick the ball up and bounced it on the ground half a dozen times, chelsea player will likely have fallen back expecting him to lob the ball into their half, when defence wouldnt be under such pressure - 5 vs 5 in our half. and 4 vs 5 if u discount white who is not in play on the far right

If Ryan had picked the ball up, it would have been a free kick, and a potential red card!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
al.jpg

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
If he doesnt do that again this season, & plays as well as he did for the rest of his time on the pitch, then I'll be very pleased

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Great player who made one silly mistake at the beginning of the season when match sharpness isn’t all quite there. Massive potential and our midfield looks infinitely better with him in the centre of it. Moaners should have a day off

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The boy is class. I couldn't give a toss about that mistake, it's part of his learning curve and the way we now play which I'm fully behind.

To watch him and Bissouma in that central midfield after three years of Stephens and Propper is an absolute joy. They are going to be the reason I feel we will progress up the table this season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Stephens and Propper have been a great and solid pairing for us in midfield! If we need them this season they will do a good job. The fact we have four players capable of doing well in that position shows how far we have come in a few seasons.

Propper mainly and Stephens less so have done a solid enough job for us for the three years but I also feel they’ve held us back. I think centre midfield has been the weakest part of our side in the premier league.

Alzate and Bissouma are different level players to those two and will be a big game changer for us this season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If Ryan had picked the ball up, it would have been a free kick, and a potential red card!

Ryan should've done better IMO. If he'd been more decisive and spread himself on the edge of the box, taking ball player and anything else instead of going in half-and-half to get there and then get out of the way, then we might have got away with it. Alzate's brainfart obvs, but there was a chance of Ryan bailing him out if he'd gone full pelt, got to the ball and cleaned Werner out, instead of getting there, holding back and pulling away.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This. Alzate had the time to look up and assess the risks when the ball came to him - it was just a poor pass. It happens to every player, just on that occasion it led to a goal. It happens. It sucks, but it happens.

Very much this. Nothing wrong with what Ryan did. Alzate made a bad mistake in an otherwise good performance. Sh1t happens.

Some if the football we played on Monday was great to watch!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Perhaps overshadowed By Tariq, but I thought Alzate deserves a big mention today.

Fantastic on the ball, and didn’t let his mistake last week put him off. Top talent.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Alzate is young, he will learn from mistakes, thought he was excellent today, comfortable on the ball both passing and carrying.

Hopefully he can turn a negative into a positive and move on a better player for it.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Holy crap, for a player who seemed to just quietly get on with his job keeping things ticking along in the center of the park, these stats are actually amazing.

98% passing accuracy!!

53 touches and 42 passes, that's a lot of successful one touch football!

[tweet]1307711314903609346[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here