Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Alzate error

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
If you look at the highlights you can see when Ryan rolls the ball out to Alzate, all centre backs are wide leaving a gaping hole in the middle and Alzate has Bissouma and 4/5 Chelsea men around him.

Now I know Potter has wanted his players to be able to play around with it at the back but that ball should never have been given to Alzate there.

Potter has said that it's high risk football but he wants his players to continue doing it as the rewards are great.

Well my issue is that we all know we've made mistakes countless times doing this and many times where it's led to us conceding. However how many times has it given rewards? How many goals has it led to?

So are we following a flawed plan?

High risk for very little or no reward.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe, must maybe, next time Alzate won't misjudge the ball and kick it with his heel.

IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I thought it was apparent that Ryan kicked long far more frequently last night.
I think there is a move to mix it up more, than we did last season.

I didn't see anything wrong with the pass to Alzate, he was in space and the error was not caused by the press, it was just a shit pass.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
High risk or not, we have no one to lump it forward to, so what are the alternatives?

I do think our style should be based around potential rewards as opposed to risk.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I didn't see anything wrong with the pass to Alzate, he was in space and the error was not caused by the press, it was just a shit pass.

This. Alzate had the time to look up and assess the risks when the ball came to him - it was just a poor pass. It happens to every player, just on that occasion it led to a goal. It happens. It sucks, but it happens.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The were a couple of passages of play very very high (close to our goal) with our defenders passing it around trying to beat the press, and for the most part yesterday we looks so much better at it than we had last season. There was one passage of play in the second half which had me wondering, but we did it right and it worked, we beat the press and got out into midfield, in possession with some space, leaving a number of Chelsea players behind us.

The payoff isn't neccessarily a goal, the payoff is possession and space in midfield, which in turn gives us the chance to create more chances (which we did last night btw), but it doesn't garauntee goals, nothing but the right final ball and finish can do that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If that was Stephens or Propper there would've been 836 threads about how crap they are.

But it's ok.
In their absence Ryan has stepped up with 837 threads despite doing nothing wrong.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If you look at the highlights you can see when Ryan rolls the ball out to Alzate, all centre backs are wide leaving a gaping hole in the middle and Alzate has Bissouma and 4/5 Chelsea men around him.

Now I know Potter has wanted his players to be able to play around with it at the back but that ball should never have been given to Alzate there.

Potter has said that it's high risk football but he wants his players to continue doing it as the rewards are great.

Well my issue is that we all know we've made mistakes countless times doing this and many times where it's led to us conceding. However how many times has it given rewards? How many goals has it led to?

Plenty of times, plenty of goals, and obviously also prevents a lot of goals not to just give the ball away every time Ryan gets the ball. But you only remember when it fails.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The blame lies solely with Alzate for that. If you can’t control and pass a ball with 6 yards of space (even if you have to go back to Ryan who then goes long) then you shouldn’t be playing CM for a PL side.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Plays it to Bissouma, accurately - a 5 yard pass, shouts 'turn', Bissouma turns into plenty of space as our passing game has drawn much of Chelsea into a central area and we have another attacking forward thinking move on. Happened all night. Yep, same old story against real quality, but we outplayed Chelsea for large parts. Even conceding 2, we should have equalised with the easiest chance Dunk has had in the PL. Fine margins.

Really like the way we're playing. Well worth the risk to see taking the game to some of these so called bigger teams instead of cowering in awe of them.

Dunk scores, different discussion on here I feel. Missing that killed us really, the 3rd I sensed wouldn't have happened had we been at 2-2.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
These errors can be blessings in disguise for players like Alzate in the long run. He's young and still inexperienced so I see that sort of mistake as one which had to be made eventually. What impressed me was how the mistake didn't effect his game and he carried on playing with confidence and composure. You can't really blame anyone for that mistake, it's all part of the learning curb young Alzate is on. At least he's made it now and will be a better player because of it.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The blame lies solely with Alzate for that. If you can’t control and pass a ball with 6 yards of space (even if you have to go back to Ryan who then goes long) then you shouldn’t be playing CM for a PL side.

Propper also did it so many times.

Blame the players if you like but they can't be error free and when it goes wrong we concede a goal.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
There was plenty of room around him to receive turn and make a pass the issue was not Ryan it was Alzate not being aware or looking around him before making the pass. He is young will learn, is not the first and won’t be the last but the error is his

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The intention was correct from Ryan and Alzate, it is how you pass and break through a press. Unfortunately Alzate just didn't connect with the ball properly.

I have no major issue with it as the intentions were all correct and playing like this will give us greater overall reward but mistakes will happen to all players occasionally. Apart from that mistake, Alzate was excellent, he and Bissouma controlled the midfield against real quality opposition. I'm massively excited about watching them play together this season and looking forward to seeing them up against Hayden and Shelvey this weekend, slight difference in quality to Kante and Jorginho.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
He's a young player. A very talented player, but still very raw. Though he's the bee's knees right now, Lamptey has made errors, such as Southampton (a). It happens. He'll learn now, and he will most likely choose a better pass next time. Young players will still make errors, whether playing under Potter, Hughton or Guardiola. That's all there is too it. Our wastefulness up front is a far bigger concern than any of this.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Presumably one of the reasons Burn was played all the time at left back last year as it gave an outlet for Ryan to hoist it to his head when we had run out of options in front of him.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The pass to Alzate was fine, he had plenty of room and other players on to pass to. Unfortunately he picked the wrong player and scuffed the pass, shit happens, it's just one of those things.
I think Alzate had a great game, I'm sure he feels bad about the cock up but it's done, time to move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here