Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The A27 in Sussex (mainly Worthing to Shoreham)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't get that argument: the A27 pretty much follows the rail route. There are plenty of roads with no alternative public transport, but the A27 isn't one of them.

At a time when more people are working from home and fewer people are commuting, I imagine that upgrading the road is going to be a very low financial priority.
Not sure it’s going to take a lot of money to use some common sense …as many have said including the OP the particular ‘holdup’ in question could be eased by using some of it

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Horrific stretch of road, one of the main reasons we moved back over the river to Shoreham, the time and money (fuel) we’re saving is brilliant. We lived in Sompting and since moving out 3 months ago three new housing developments have been announced, it’s just going to get worse and worse sadly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed, how lucky we are. The current work is merely part of the work on the much heralded Folkestone to Honiton trunk road that commenced in the 1970s and is due to complete some time soon zzzzzzzzzz

Between Beddingham and Polegate wasn’t a government or money thing. Environmentalists, councils, SDNP and their predecessor, fought a well funded and highly organised campaign against it.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Between Beddingham and Polegate wasn’t a government or money thing. Environmentalists, councils, SDNP and their predecessor, fought a well funded and highly organised campaign against it.
In that case I hope none of them have the cheek to take the liberty of doing the undertake and Macdonald’s turn round near Lyminster! But I confess I’ve done that- stupid junction

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
When completed and occupied..not just the roads ..as has been said pressure on local services in health and education…wouldn’t have taken much to have made a condition of planning permission the provision of a doctors surgery (yeah I know it’s got to be staffed) ..the council seem to have a close relationship with Hyde Homes and Southern Housing
It was a condition of planning that a large housing development in Burgess Hill had premises allocated for a doctors surgery. After a few years when no practice was willing to take it on the planning permission was revised to more flats. The issues are with national policy not local planners.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was a condition of planning that a large housing development in Burgess Hill had premises allocated for a doctors surgery. After a few years when no practice was willing to take it on the planning permission was revised to more flats. The issues are with national policy not local planners.
I’d say a bit of both

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm sure I remember reading somewhen about a possible bypass for the Chichester bypass...

I also have memories of family holidays in the West and my dad moaning about the Chichester bypass being a nightmare over 40 years ago!!!

Ditto.

60’s/70’s we were driven by my Dad from Brighton each August to Cornwall near St.Ives. We left at 4am and arrived at 5pm.

Etched in my mind even though I was only an infant, the jams at:

Bear Road, Arundel, Chichester, Southampton (you had to drive through the centre and over the Itchen), Ringwood, Dorchester, Bridport, Charmouth, Axeminster, Honiton, Exeter, Okehampton, Bodmin, Launceston. Probably from my Dad moaning.

Now at that hour, half the time. Despite 2 or 3 times the traffic, the bypasses changed a lot.

Not a new phenomena!

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ditto.

60’s/70’s we were driven by my Dad from Brighton each August to Cornwall near St.Ives. We left at 4am and arrived at 5pm.

Bear Road, Arundel, Chichester, Southampton (you had to drive through the centre and over the Itchen), Ringwood, Dorchester, Bridport, Charmouth, Axeminster, Honiton, Exeter, Okehampton, Bodmin, Launceston. Probably from my Dad moaning.

Not at that hour, half the time. Despite 2 or 3 times the traffic, the bypasses changed a lot.

Not a new phenomena!
Etched in mine to…..holidays as a child were nearly always West Country …and remembering my Dad the only driver cursing the traffic…..long days/delays …Honiton stands out especially

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ditto.

Now at that hour, half the time. Despite 2 or 3 times the traffic, the bypasses changed a lot.

Not a new phenomena!
Our holiday run to Cornwall in the 60s was from Harrow in North London. Dad drove a small van and we travelled overnight to avoid the jams. Brother and me were asleep on a mattress in the back but, as there were no 24 hour petrol stations back then, we slept next to jerry cans of petrol 😬

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Used to queue going over Bodmin Moor when we used to have annual family holiday to Cornwall as a child.

Jul 2, 2011
Going west I will sometimes head up to the Washington roundabout and go by Steyning just to avoid the A27 in Worthing. It probably takes longer but at least you're always moving

The A27 throughout the whole of Worthing is awful but I can't see it getting any better without going above or below ground- both would be expensive and the latter would look awful
Having travelled this route for years, I’ve noticed its also been increasingly congested in the last 6 months due to people like yourself doing exactly that (I don't blame you for doing it either).

And when a cyclist in thrown into the mix…. nightmare.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Problem these days is if you build a by-pass, within years housing developments are built in the fields along it, thus meaning junctions are put into the new road making it as bad as before.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
And the road is meant to be an A road now it is a 40 mile an hour B road
some people don’t understand we need proper infrastructure to get business and transport working properly,
spent 7 million pounds on a cycle lane, rather than building a proper dual carriage way with a cycle lane,

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Etched in mine to…..holidays as a child were nearly always West Country …and remembering my Dad the only driver cursing the traffic…..long days/delays …Honiton stands out especially

In 1974 we drove to London Zoo …. people really did drive through central London, rather than use train/tube. My Dad had trouble finding a parking spot, I remember the curse “Bloody Prince Albert Road” :mad: :lolol:.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In 1974 we drove to London Zoo …. people really did drive through central London, rather than use train/tube. My Dad had trouble finding a parking spot, I remember the curse “Bloody Prince Albert Road” :mad: :lolol:.
……also the cars we travelled in …no high entertainment system….air con…cruise control etc …I remember Dad having to hand crank the engine 👀

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here