Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The A27 in Sussex (mainly Worthing to Shoreham)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The radio was literally just R1, or once people hated pop, R2. No power steering, use of the choke, little wonder folk were fitter.
We weren’t allowed to have the radio on…Mum wasn’t keen ….entertainment…was counting the cars passing us etc ….I Spy was good to especially if it was something you spotted a mile back

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We weren’t allowed to have the radio on…Mum wasn’t keen ….entertainment…was counting the cars passing us etc ….I Spy was good to especially if it was something you spotted a mile back

…. trying to get you to fall asleep. After the first “Are we there yet?” was uttered passing Havant :lolol: .

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
You can have your say on future transport priorities here https://transportforthesoutheast.org.uk/our-work/transport-strategy/

While you're there you can peruse the improvements planned over the next 30 years in the Delivery Action Plan p97 onwards. This tries to look at the A/M27 corridor west of B&H as a whole including road, rail, bus and active travel (cycling/walking).

As others have pointed out we have the national park and sea squeezing housing development into coastal towns and onto land north of the Downs. There is NO national or regional spatial plan linking up transport and housing and economic development. The Tories abolished regional planning in 2010.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
You can have your say on future transport priorities here https://transportforthesoutheast.org.uk/our-work/transport-strategy/

While you're there you can peruse the improvements planned over the next 30 years in the Delivery Action Plan p97 onwards. This tries to look at the A/M27 corridor west of B&H as a whole including road, rail, bus and active travel (cycling/walking).

As others have pointed out we have the national park and sea squeezing housing development into coastal towns and onto land north of the Downs. There is NO national or regional spatial plan linking up transport and housing and economic development. The Tories abolished regional planning in 2010.
Of course they did. Why would that possibly make sense!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
There's far too much dependency on cars to get about when there are so many viable alternatives including walking. So many unnecessary car journeys undertaken that that could easily be done without the need for more roads.Paving over the whole countryside for the benefit of the most unsustainable form of transport is never going to be the answer. Traffic is holding things up but always remember that YOU are part of the traffic, not pedestrians, not cyclists, not motorcyclists or those on public transport. Think about how you could make your life easier and more healthy than sitting for hours on end moving at 3mph

this would be fine if public transport was cheaper and more reliable. I commuted to Brighton from Angmering every day for 2 years and was regularly late for work because of delays/cancellations and it also cost me a small fortune

all the time that driving is the most reliable and is many cases cheapest mode of transport it's going to be the most popular

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
Get a motorbike. Brighton to Worthing is 20 minutes whatever the traffic is like. Plus you can use it to ride up to the Amex on match day and get free parking

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Pub sign cricket.........you scored the number of runs that the pub sign had legs so, for example, 4 runs for ' The Spotted Horse '. Lost a wicket if the pub sign had no legs.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Going west I will sometimes head up to the Washington roundabout and go by Steyning just to avoid the A27 in Worthing. It probably takes longer but at least you're always moving

The A27 throughout the whole of Worthing is awful but I can't see it getting any better without going above or below ground- both would be expensive and the latter would look awful
If you’re heading west then no wonder it takes you longer if you head to Steyning from the Washington roundabout as that’s east!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Pub sign cricket.........you scored the number of runs that the pub sign had legs so, for example, 4 runs for ' The Spotted Horse '. Lost a wicket if the pub sign had no legs.
On the motorways (no pubs) it was red car 1 run, white 2, black 4, silver 6. Emergency vehicles were wickets.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That was a great game. The Fox and Hounds was like Bazball Plus

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
That was a great game. The Fox and Hounds was like Bazball Plus
I'm fairly sure we used to say that pubs like the Fox & Hounds were a six

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here