Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That's the worst ref so farn this season

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It's all very odd because Pawson is looking nowhere near Badiashile when he shows the card. There's a close-up shot with Badiashile in the foreground which shows this .That's why TV drew the logical conclusion that Caicedo had been booked. It seemed obvious. The 4th official usually confirms who's been carded so it's all a bit strange and something that needs to be cleared up. A yellow would leave Caicedo one away from a suspension, let alone the fact he should have been sent off for several bookable offences yesterday.
You mean to tell me that Mr Pawson didn’t make his signals clear during the game, I’m shocked

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I’m thinking of the given outside the area against Calde
That was given against Dunk. Calde came on as a sub just after the penalty was taken as Tarrico got himself sent off in the aftermath of the penalty being awarded.

Highlights here (not that you’d want to relive that performance. It’s clearly outside the box).

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I admit I was under the impression that the uncontested drop ball was the correct decision according to the laws. Seems I and a few others on here are mistaken. It SHOULD have been our corner.

Possible penalty overturn: Handball by Colwill​

What happened: Brighton & Hove Albionthought they had been given the chance to equalise 10 minutes into added time. A cross was played in by Simon Adingra and it hit Levi Colwill, with the ball going behind for corner. Pawson took a few seconds before pointing to the spot for a penalty.

VAR decision: Penalty cancelled.

VAR review: A quick overturn from the VAR, with the referee mistakenly thinking the ball had hit Colwill's raised arm when it actually smashed into his face.

But there was a mistake with the restart -- Brighton should have had a corner and the chance to equalise from the set piece.
As the ball had already gone behind before the whistle was blown to stop play, Pawson should have restarted with a corner kick to Brighton after he had overturned his decision at the monitor. Instead, play got back under way with a dropped ball to Chelsea goalkeeper Robert Sánchez, which is the correct protocol if the penalty had been awarded with the ball still in play -- which is usually the case.

Situations where play would restart with a corner after an overturned penalty are extremely rare. But Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi will feel aggrieved that VAR decisions have gone against him yet again -- first the penalty which many will feel wasn't clear and obvious and then failure to restart with a corner, instead giving the ball back to Chelsea, when Brighton needed a goal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Badiashel for kicking ball away when Caicedo was pulled up for the foul that we all thought he was booked for🤷‍♂️
Blimey, you're right. I've just looked at my app with all the details of goals, bookings, and subs etc, and Caicedo didn't receive a yellow but Badiashel did. Even the Albion app says Caicedo was booked. The BBC match report has Badiashel on a yellow.
Good spot.

It doesn't make Pawson any less of an incompetent ref, imo.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
My issue with the penalty is that he had a perfect view of the incident and didn't give a penalty.

To my mind, it's one of those that could go either way - sometimes it's given and other times it's not - itt's not a stonewaller.

In such instances a clear and obvious error hasn't occurred, and VAR should not be calling the on-field official to take another look.
Exactly my thoughts on this. So much for PGMOL’s insistence that the VAR isn’t there to re-referee the game. That’s exactly what the VAR is doing on an increasingly frequent basis.

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London
It's all very odd because Pawson is looking nowhere near Badiashile when he shows the card. There's a close-up shot with Badiashile in the foreground which shows this .That's why TV drew the logical conclusion that Caicedo had been booked. It seemed obvious. The 4th official usually confirms who's been carded so it's all a bit strange and something that needs to be cleared up. A yellow would leave Caicedo one away from a suspension, let alone the fact he should have been sent off for several bookable offences yesterday.
The referees need to make it clear which player is getting the yellow card. Didn’t Dunk pick up a second yellow once not realising he had been given the first when a certain referee ran down the pitch randomly waving a card in the general direction of half the players on the pitch?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
That was given against Dunk. Calde came on as a sub just after the penalty was taken as Tarrico got himself sent off in the aftermath of the penalty being awarded.

Highlights here (not that you’d want to relive that performance. It’s clearly outside the box).

What a mental time that was; the 40-odd year old assistant manager playing and acting like an absolute headcase :lolol: Remember him getting sent at least twice (think the other was an FA Cup game) but may have been more?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What a mental time that was; the 40-odd year old assistant manager playing and acting like an absolute headcase :lolol: Remember him getting sent at least twice (think the other was an FA Cup game) but may have been more?
It was an FA cup replay at Woking.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I too didn't realise until today that Caicedo hadn't actually been booked. The actually makers Pawson's failure to book him, twice, even more ludicrous given that he wasn't on a card.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I too didn't realise until today that Caicedo hadn't actually been booked. The actually makers Pawson's failure to book him, twice, even more ludicrous given that he wasn't on a card.
No-one knew it wasn't Caicedo. The Guardian still don't!

1701718773459.png

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The referees need to make it clear which player is getting the yellow card. Didn’t Dunk pick up a second yellow once not realising he had been given the first when a certain referee ran down the pitch randomly waving a card in the general direction of half the players on the pitch?
Indeed. Mike Dean. Dunk had his back turned and no idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here