• Fence

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
WELL PAID ? I suppose he was, relatively, although I imagine Greg and Bill believe 40k a year was a steal compared with what they trousered.
Nice, honest sort of person? Where have you been the past 30 years? Asset stripping and selling the family silver, even if they dont belong to you, are an acceptable way of conducting business these days. If it hadn't been Bellotti it would have been someone similar.
I don't want to be seen as defending the man, the point is, his employers were, in my opinion, much worse.

You don't think he got a big payday when his employers hit the jackpot and finally sold the Goldstone?

Obviously that job wasn't for a nice honest person, that was what I said, a decent person wouldn't have done that job.
Not sure what your 30 year question means as I operate a very small but IMO honest business,.

Yes his employers were much, much worse, but he wasn't far behind.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
It was just meant to be a bit of light-hearted humour to while away a Friday. Why is everyone so touchy about two people they don't really know?

Because for some reason "respect" is magically earned once someone dies. Even if they destroyed a country/football club/your family/an orphanage.

Its baffling how "respect" is so readily given to those who have died regardless of the harm they inflict. Bellotti tried to kill something I love. Thatcher ruined this country.

What if it was a peadophile? Or someone who ran a company that was also being used by people to traffic? These people have families too. The parents of murderers still weep for their children. The wives of traffickers are still doting, romantic and sweet to their lovers. Those who hurt just once person still have children who look up to them and love them unconditionally. And when they die we say "good". When their sentence is too short we call for capital punishment.

But never EVER disrespect the dead will you...

For the record: I am happy he's gone. He tried to kill the team, he tried to destroy a vital and very old part of our community and our now city. His family were very wealthy after the work he had and lived a comfortable life. Thatcher ****ed up so many elements of this country. Not so sure if i'm glad she is dead. Part of me is, people died because of her policies while she lived in the Westminster Bubble and the post-westminster lifestyle. Part of me doesn't give a toss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Idiot. It's obvious the poster hasn't lost anyone close to him.

One of my best friends from uni and my mother are both dead. And my father almost joined them 5 years ago. Am I qualified enough in your eyes? Losing a good friend at a young age was pretty shit I can tell you.

I'm finding some of the sanctimonious outpouring and offence-by-proxy on this thread utterly bizarre. And for the record I haven't "celebrated" anyone's death in this thread as another poster suggested. I try to be sensitive at all times but this does not preclude a bit of gallows humour from time to time. Call me a twit, or say I'm not funny, but please spare me the holier-than-though clap-trap.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
One of my best friends from uni and my mother are both dead. And my father almost joined them 5 years ago. Am I qualified enough in your eyes? Losing a good friend at a young age was pretty shit I can tell you.

I'm finding some of the sanctimonious outpouring and offence-by-proxy on this thread utterly bizarre. And for the record I haven't "celebrated" anyone's death in this thread as another poster suggested. I try to be sensitive at all times but this does not preclude a bit of gallows humour from time to time. Call me a twit, or say I'm not funny, but please spare me the holier-than-though clap-trap.

I think I am with you here, not a good or logical comparison for me and driven by your politics but hey ho, why not.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Likewise, not everyone will disagree.

Without being partisan, that was the point I was trying to make.

And Brighton fans will be united against Bellotti for one particular reason. Plenty of Lib-Dems without the Seagull allegiance probably thought he was a thoroughly decent bloke.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think I am with you here, not a good or logical comparison for me and driven by your politics but hey ho, why not.

Thank you.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agree with Harty's post, but the bloke was never a stooge. He was in it up to his neck and pushed everything through with zeal.

Like most, I feel nothing. Bloke's dead. He nearly destroyed my football club. But, time has passed now. I feel nothing towards him.

I hope his family and children are OK at this time.

Totally agree. In a similar vein on the Thatcher front, I remember hearing Denis Healey on Desert Island Discs at one point talking about Mrs T, who was probably his political polar opposite, saying that every time he saw her in later years he gave her a big hug because he realised how lonely she was, particularly after Dennis (T) died.

I would always reckon that, even if I violently disagree with what a politician is doing, they are doing it because they think it is right. Politicians are usually in politics for the right motives, in this country at least.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Because for some reason "respect" is magically earned once someone dies. Even if they destroyed a country/football club/your family/an orphanage.

Its baffling how "respect" is so readily given to those who have died regardless of the harm they inflict. Bellotti tried to kill something I love. Thatcher ruined this country.

What if it was a peadophile? Or someone who ran a company that was also being used by people to traffic? These people have families too. The parents of murderers still weep for their children. The wives of traffickers are still doting, romantic and sweet to their lovers. Those who hurt just once person still have children who look up to them and love them unconditionally. And when they die we say "good". When their sentence is too short we call for capital punishment.

But never EVER disrespect the dead will you...

For the record: I am happy he's gone. He tried to kill the team, he tried to destroy a vital and very old part of our community and our now city. His family were very wealthy after the work he had and lived a comfortable life. Thatcher ****ed up so many elements of this country. Not so sure if i'm glad she is dead. Part of me is, people died because of her policies while she lived in the Westminster Bubble and the post-westminster lifestyle. Part of me doesn't give a toss.
youve got a cheek talking about respect, you're a 'revenue collector' on the trains, lowlife Tosspot :tosser:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
But again to re-iterate we're all better people for not celebrating his demise.

Ironically, and HT probably knew this when he started the thread, there's an argument to say that Bellotti's by election win was the beginning of the end for Maggie as Prime minister.

There is a very strong argument which was expressed in an article that Tory mouthpiece the "Daily Telegraph" some years later.

The article stated that a lot of Tory MP's realised that if Eastbourne could dump a Tory candidate (and the Tory Party's choice was not good) so resoundingly under the Maggie Empire, their own chances of re-election in 1992 or whenever were small. Hence enough --JUST enough.. then voted against her in the vote of confidence called by Heseltine in November.

Obviously Maggie herself felt the loss of Gow who had always been someone whose personal views she relied on. I don't know whether he advised her against the Poll Tax though.

A book by Paddy Ashdown shows at the time how important it was that Charles Kennedy - then LibDem Party chairman - went against Paddy's initial decision not to put up a candidate in the Eastbourne by-election; to that extent Bellotti (who was on holiday abroad at the time of Gow's death) got "sucked in" to the whole series of events.

I note that the "Argus" made no mention of someone in Eastbourne being given a prison sentence for making death threats to Belotti. That can hardly have been of benefit to his health.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Totally agree. In a similar vein on the Thatcher front, I remember hearing Denis Healey on Desert Island Discs at one point talking about Mrs T, who was probably his political polar opposite, saying that every time he saw her in later years he gave her a big hug because he realised how lonely she was, particularly after Dennis (T) died.

I would always reckon that, even if I violently disagree with what a politician is doing, they are doing it because they think it is right. Politicians are usually in politics for the right motives, in this country at least.

If you gave Denis Healey a big hug now you'd probably kill him, the guy has almost shrunk away compared to his hulking appearance in the 1970's (when he hit Roy Hattersley so hard once he nearly broke his nose, after Hattersley had criticised his economic policies on TV).

Sorry, I should say he slapped Roy so hard on the back going into a Cabinet meeting that Roy unfortunately collided with a hatstand, causing a nosebleed. Jim Callaghan the PM then said unkindly "That'll teach you to contradict Denis, ho-ho!"

abc

Jan 6, 2007

So if you found a poll on the internet asking to vote which of your best friend or Mother people were happiest were dead, that would have been ok for you? No, of course not.

Have the humility and decency to admit that on this one you were wrong and then move on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So if you found a poll on the internet asking to vote which of your best friend or Mother people were happiest were dead, that would have been ok for you? No, of course not.

Have the humility and decency to admit that on this one you were wrong and then move on.

Happiest? I wrote moved.

As is said, I find this offence-by-proxy bizarre and you're yet another example. If I found such a poll, it will be down to me to decide if it's "okay" or not; this isn't the roll of complete and utter strangers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And I do. I have sailed too close to the wind a few times and when I have overstepped the mark I have recognised this and apologised appropriately. I dislike the whole offence-by-proxy thing and the culture, not to mention industry, surrounding it. Let's agree to disagree.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you gave Denis Healey a big hug now you'd probably kill him, the guy has almost shrunk away compared to his hulking appearance in the 1970's (when he hit Roy Hattersley so hard once he nearly broke his nose, after Hattersley had criticised his economic policies on TV).

Sorry, I should say he slapped Roy so hard on the back going into a Cabinet meeting that Roy unfortunately collided with a hatstand, causing a nosebleed. Jim Callaghan the PM then said unkindly "That'll teach you to contradict Denis, ho-ho!"

Well he is 97. But he certainly was robust in his day.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Nothing wrong with the thread.
Thatcher messed up millions of peoples lives.
Bellotti only tens of thousands.
No contest.
Bellotti not at the same level of evil as Thatcher.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
And I do. I have sailed too close to the wind a few times and when I have overstepped the mark I have recognised this and apologised appropriately. I dislike the whole offence-by-proxy thing and the culture, not to mention industry, surrounding it. Let's agree to disagree.

Fair response. However I'm not sure about the 'offence by proxy ' concept. There is an invisible line that we don't cross in normal society because it offends or is simply wrong. Celebrating (or in your case to be fair to appear to celebrate) someone's death, does for many people cross that line. Too many people, IMHO, write things on the net that they would not dream of saying in public or to the faces of those that they are criticising. I think it is this that you are being harangued for. It's not so much 'offence by proxy' but simply that the tone and implication of your post was simply offensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here