Votes: 28 41.2%
  • Build a bonfire

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • Fence

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
HT, regardless of our differing political views always had a lot of time for you, please read my thoughts from another DB thread.

"Even at the risk of getting flamed, some personal thoughts that have come out over the course of today.

Like thousands of other Albion fans for nearly 20 years I've almost looked forward to the day of DB's passing, but when it actually happened I found myself Really feeling nothing.

It might have had something to do with losing my own mother in the last couple of months, but for all his many faults and personality disorders, Bellotti was a parent himself.

He was the front man for Archer and Stanley, whatever he got paid for it, was it really worth it?

After July 1995 he endured all kinds of abuse, both verbally and in print a 'favourite' emanating from his then wife, the 'lovely Jo' and the allegations about her and a Liverpool striker.

He had to have his calls and post monitored, was brought to games under strict security, we had to talk an over zealous Gulls Eye reader from targeting Bellotti Junior outside his school and my own personal favourite was the Steve Foster incident when Fozzie sat in his office and said to him.
"David you are either the most switched on bloke to ever be at the Albion or you are the biggest **** this club has ever seen, and from where I'm sitting you don't look that intelligent"

He had to move away from Sussex and as a result became estranged from his son, which something as a parent I would find very hard to comprehend.

And perhaps worse of all he had that life sentence of always having to look over his shoulder, all over the world, because the Albion support gets everywhere, and there would always be that chance be it in a bar, hotel lobby, airport, restaurant in fact anywhere, that he would bump into one of us and get the verbal abuse he so richly deserved.

But 20 years on, we've lost too many good people, Robert Eaton, Roy Chuter, Sarah Watts, my mum and countless others that today I truly cannot celebrate a death, even his.

History will ultimately be the judge."

So HT do we really need this thread?

Says it all. I'll never forgive and certainly never forget, but the man paid a price for his actions. Let's use this as an opportunity to remember how it was back then, and give thanks for all those who fought for our club, many of whom have sadly passed now. I hope younger and newer fans will also see what we went through and draw a new sense of pride in the club and the community of fans who kept it alive. News surrounding his passing will generate memories and debate which I hope will be positive for younger fans, underlining for them what can be achieved by solidarity and defiance in the face of seemingly overwhelming odds. May players ignorant of our history gain from this an understanding of what it means to wear the blue and white, and recognise they're representing a very special set of fans. Play like they fought, backs to the wall, NEVER GIVE UP!!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I'm certainly glad Thatcher died. I hope it took a long time and really hurt.

You really are a sad pathetic individual, even more so than your buddy who started the thread. :tosser:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You really are a sad pathetic individual, even more so than your buddy who started the thread. :tosser:

It was just meant to be a bit of light-hearted humour to while away a Friday. Why is everyone so touchy about two people they don't really know?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Actually, I'm going to call it banter. You can say what you want if it's banter.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Two monumental NSC passings. Which moved you the most?
It's been a while since you've been a tw@ on here, did you feel you were letting yourself down?

It was just meant to be a bit of light-hearted humour to while away a Friday.
Maybe I guess. I'm touchy about it because I had such a huge dislike for Bellotti, who tried to profit from the destruction of our club, whereas Thatcher was someone that did what she thought was right for the country. I believe she made mistakes in the north, but she said what she'd do, she got elected, and she did it. As a Brighton fan I find another Brighton fan to be comparing them pretty annoying, that's all.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I look at it this way
would I want either of them as a friend ...............................never

end of

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Excellent post, I always thought him a stooge, used by Stanley and Archer to deflect the shite that should have been theirs.

But he must have believed in what he was getting WELL PAID to do.
He could have walked away at any time, that job wasn't for an honest nice sort of person.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Celebrating anyones death is in my opinion bad taste......Hate in life if you wish when they can answer critics but forgive in Death surely.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely great Primeministers deliver greatness to the nation that could not be said of Mrs Thatcher. She took apart a nation, destroyed the political consensus we have never recovered. In football terms she ending standing at games (kind of), stopped community funding of local clubs, sold off school sports fields. Bellotti in league with Archer nearly destroyed our club, and much as that is important to me personally he did not harm such a wide audience. I pick Thatcher.

Absolutely spot on, IMO. Excellent post.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
But he must have believed in what he was getting WELL PAID to do.
He could have walked away at any time, that job wasn't for an honest nice sort of person.

WELL PAID ? I suppose he was, relatively, although I imagine Greg and Bill believe 40k a year was a steal compared with what they trousered.
Nice, honest sort of person? Where have you been the past 30 years? Asset stripping and selling the family silver, even if they dont belong to you, are an acceptable way of conducting business these days. If it hadn't been Bellotti it would have been someone similar.
I don't want to be seen as defending the man, the point is, his employers were, in my opinion, much worse.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
It was just meant to be a bit of light-hearted humour to while away a Friday. Why is everyone so touchy about two people they don't really know?

I'm sure your family would see the funny side if when you turn your toes up, some berk decides to have a 'bit of fun' over your passing .... and iM sure you would laugh uncontrollably if ' the fun' was had at the expense of you losing someone very dear to you ... numpty is about the politest I can say ..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here