Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Young Man In Goal

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
At this stage of the season and where we are sitting it would be considered unwise to not use a goalkeeper of Al Habsi's experience. He is probably a much better keeper than Kuszczak and is a very good acquisition for us.

When his loan finishes it would be good to see Walton and Stockdale fight it out, but right now I have more confidence that Al Habsi will probably be the difference between moving up the table or not, purely based on his consistent game time and years in spent in the Prem.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I have to disagree with those who would have him start against Blackburn.
Walton is a fine prospect and showed his potential on Tuesday night. In my book, at the moment, he is clearly No 2 to Stockdale/Al Habsi.
Let's not rush him. Rejoice in the knowledge that we have uncovered a real talent and give the lad time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Al Habsi is comparable to Kuszczak certainly no better but is a good loan signing for us and should be between the sticks on Saturday. I must admit to feeling more confident when he started against Bournemouth and even Walton against Wigan than I have at any time with Stockdale starting.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Or spending £1m on Stoickdale as we could have brought in Al Habsi, as we have done. Then signed Al Habsi in January at a much lower cost and not weakened the goalkeeping situation.

Wigan signed Al Habsi for FOUR million pounds. What makes you think we'd have been able to sign him at a 'much lower cost' than £1m, exactly?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have him on loan for 1 month but he wants to stay longer so they either don't want him or Rosler doesn't rate him. I read he is out of contract in June so that would reduce his fee and perhaps explain why he wants to stay longer, so as to impress and push for a permanent deal in January or the summer

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think that Al Habsi is comparable to Kuszczak certainly no better but is a good loan signing for us and should be between the sticks on Saturday. I must admit to feeling more confident when he started against Bournemouth and even Walton against Wigan than I have at any time with Stockdale starting.

I don't think they are comparable, Al Habsi is good with his feet and can kick the ball to where he intends it to go. Kuszczak played 30 Prem games and Al Habsi nearer to 150.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is there a goalkeeping circumstance that won't result in Sami getting an NSC kicking from 5pm onwards, on Saturday.

Drop Walton play Al Habsi & lose - kicking, won't have lost if he played an English 'keeper.
Drop Walton play Al Habsi & draw - kicking, see above.
Drop Walton play Al Habsi & win - kicking, ideal confidence builder for young goalkeeper.

Play Walton and lose - kicking, why would you think a kid can play against Jordan Rhodes.
Play Walton and draw - kicking, with an experienced keeper we would have won, more points Hyypia has cost us.
Play Walton and win - kicking, these 'shop window' performances mean he'll be sold in January, thanks Sami.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Also, can we really criticise the club for signing a new no. 1 when it's nailed on they'd have been criticized for not doing so?

I didn't say we were wrong to sign a new #1, only that we shouldn't have spent so much doing it.
We could have maybe gone for a 38 year old free agent who'd have done us 1-2 years until Walton is ready.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didn't say we were wrong to sign a new #1, only that we shouldn't have spent so much doing it.
We could have maybe gone for a 38 year old free agent who'd have done us 1-2 years until Walton is ready.

Brad Friedel is a classic example of an established experienced keeper who is not getting games now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh come on.
Getting a 'keeper in on the cheap would melt NSC to its core.
At least in Stockdale we now have an asset, well 2 including Walton.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

We could, yes. But again, how positive was this board when we signed Stockdale? Extremely! I see no problem with having two top class 'keepers and think Walton will learn a lot from Stockdale.

I do get your point though. Al Habsi, for one, would probably have been cheaper. Mind you, none of us had a real idea of how good Walton is so signing a new no. 1 was rightly a massive talking point on here during the summer.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
As much as I think Walton is a cracking young keeper who looks like he has a very good future ahead of him I really don't think he's ready to be no.1 just yet, the 2 games he has played are great for his education just as playing for England U20's is as well but he's still got a lot to learn yet.
It's also worth remembering as much as he played well against Wigan he did have one advantage over Stockdale and Al Habsi, he actually played behind a back 4 rather than a back 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here