Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Young Man In Goal

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
IMHO the way the club handle the development of Walton will be a real pointer to how they will handle the talent hopefully rolling off the production line in a couple of years.

I agree. Whilst a lot of us have been concerned about selling all our best players and replacing them with ones who don't seem to match up right now, we can only hope Tony is playing the long game. Seems to be the most sensible way. Even if it is frustrating right now.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Why was our second biggest signing of the summer a keeper when CW is not so far from the finished article ???

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Felt very assured with him after the first couple of simple saves he had to deal with and i'm very excited by what he'll be. It's not right to have him really competing for the number one spot right now. I'd stagger his development all the more so that experiences like Tottenham away and the MOM award today with a clean sheet fire him forward, letting him know he can make it and that he hasn't yet. Cup games and to stand in for Stockdale whilst injured and in just over a year's time i'd see him bordering on ready.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Credit must go to Warren Aspinall for finding him. He went to watch another player but arrived very early so watched a youth game that he played in and the rest is history.

As regards Al Absi he is out of contract in June so perhaps looking at next season having him here this season on loan.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A shaved monkey is likely to start ahead of Casper, a fact I'm sure he was aware of when he signed on for one more year.
Al Absi is a sound and pragmatic investment in the most specialized position.

I'm really pleased for Walton but as already said why rush him.

He has a good 20 years ahead of him in pro football.
He's not going to be at his recognised peak for another 10 years.
If Jordan Rhodes were to make him and our defensive unit look amateurish on Saturday there's no telling what damage that could do.
Admittedly if Walton is the difference v Rhodes it will be fantastic.
But it's a tough one to call.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I understand the clamour to be starting Walton, but I wouldn't keep him in the side on saturday. Ali Al-Habsi has come here to play games of football, and he will do. In my opinion, Cristian Walton should be loaned out to a League 1 club for the second half of the season to get some game experience. Jack Butland went to Cheltenham in League 2, and Joe Hart played north of 50 games for Shrewsbury before moving to Man City. Throwing Walton straight into the first team in the Championship is an unneccessary risk to take, we should loan him out for a spell and then get him back in to challenge Stockdale for the #1 shirt.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I understand the clamour to be starting Walton, but I wouldn't keep him in the side on saturday. Ali Al-Habsi has come here to play games of football, and he will do. In my opinion, Cristian Walton should be loaned out to a League 1 club for the second half of the season to get some game experience. Jack Butland went to Cheltenham in League 2, and Joe Hart played north of 50 games for Shrewsbury before moving to Man City. Throwing Walton straight into the first team in the Championship is an unneccessary risk to take, we should loan him out for a spell and then get him back in to challenge Stockdale for the #1 shirt.

We are 5 places from a L1 club, 40 from Man City

Downsman

Mar 19, 2014
Absolutely brilliant display - he made more saves than Stockdale has all season, holding on to the ball, rather than parrying it. Also his distribution set up a number of attacks by kicking long, rather than just rolling the ball out to our defenders to keep passing around between themselves.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
OK cockup is harsh and I'm a happy bunny tonight so it was unintentionally harsh. But....

We have a keeper who has played for his country at youth level and made his debut against Premier League opposition. We might have lost that game but not by a confidence shattering level. Then tonight he was excellent, much better than our £1 million buy has been so far. Perhaps the questions are;

Does Sami trust Casper to fill in? (me and my mate don't but we don't count)
Do we need to play Stockdale to justify the price tag?
Do we need to play Stockdale's loan replacement to justify both price tags?
What will happen to Walton if he doesn't get regular first team action over the next two seasons? And what could that cost us?

All valid questions, but I'd go back to the point made by someone else earlier.

Three years ago, JFC was considered 'if you're good enough, you're old enough...', and then quickly lost form which, as a 17 year-old, is hardly surprising. It's clear Walton's made an outstanding start in his first two games but... there's no rush. The manager knows he's there as an option.

One bad game and who knows what will happen to his confidence or application? On that issue, he's an unknown quantity.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Thought the lad had a very good game last night, to be honest for an 18yr old making his league debut in a side on a poor run and to keep a clean sheet and get man of the match, well you can't ask for any more than that can you.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Three years ago, JFC was considered 'if you're good enough, you're old enough...', and then quickly lost form which, as a 17 year-old, is hardly surprising. It's clear Walton's made an outstanding start in his first two games but... there's no rush. The manager knows he's there as an option.

One bad game and who knows what will happen to his confidence or application? On that issue, he's an unknown quantity.

Perhaps, but especially with a goalkeeper he might make a mistake in any random game and that would impact on his future opportunity and confidence, your just delaying that risk.

If I was Walton or his agent I would want him playing now, on the back of two solid games and feeling confident and the immediate backing of the fans its a great opportunity for the youngster.

If I was the club then who knows, I think sometimes clubs with young prospects do two things, firstly wrap up a deal that ensures a return on that player if a bigger club comes knocking whilst offering that player some security and decent financial reward and secondly and this is the flawed bit they think they can somehow hibernate a performance or two and wheel them back out a couple of months down the road and get the same performance and confidant player that impressed before.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Caskey was one of out best 4 players for all 5 games at 27, scoring 3? He had a stinker on TV v Newcastle (prob didn't sleep a wink) and was ridiculously dropped from sight for ages.
Dropping a MoM doesn't happen and it could do more harm than good

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He was good last night, but if, for example, Casper had played in goal and made exactly the same saves, would people be getting excited this morning?

All the saves he made were solid, but regulation. We were fortunate the Wigan didn't make the most of their opportunities, they had too many half chances for my liking, and I'm delighted that Walton dealt with them, but he wasn't particularly stretched.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Well impressed. Only 18. Couple of good saves, confident catching, decent distribution, good long kicks and wasted time like a seasoned pro. Deservedly MOM.

Watched him in a few dev squad games last season and think we set up this season wrong personally. I said before the season started we should have loaned in an experienced keeper to mentor/look after Christian, but only a one year deal so that Christian knew where he stood in terms of long term future. Next season he should have been offered #1 spot (assuming he had stepped up as expected).
By bringing in a perm keeper, we have left Stockdale in the difficult position of training his own replacement!

Perhaps this wasn't an option or that the club weren't as confident in him as I was, but now I'd like to see him get regular league games, (maybe 1 in 3?) and be treated as first team keeper 'in waiting' rather than #2 or worse #3 behind Ank.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I particularly liked how angry he was getting when setting up the walk for the Wigan free kick in the first half, knew what he wanted and really got into those in the wall. Looks a very good young keeper, I'm not sure why but I just feel more confident with him in goal than I do with Stockdale there.

My opinion is keep him in the goal but I can possibly see why Sami might choose not too.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
He was good last night, but if, for example, Casper had played in goal and made exactly the same saves, would people be getting excited this morning?

All the saves he made were solid, but regulation. We were fortunate the Wigan didn't make the most of their opportunities, they had too many half chances for my liking, and I'm delighted that Walton dealt with them, but he wasn't particularly stretched.

What particularly impressed me, for such a young lad, was his positioning. He was able to make a couple of saves look routine because he was in exactly the right place. Together with his 'range' he had everything covered.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here