Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'That was our big chance/defining moment' - Agree or disagree?

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I think CH staying will be the difference. We have always seemed to be a fit striker short, one that will score goals anyway. We also seem to be a few players short of a strong squad, we have 4-6 players that aren't up to top championship level which leaves CH without real opportunities to rest players or tinker. assuming Chris stays and I am, I think he will fill those gaps. So near yet....

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
We can keep on challenging for promotion for as long as Tony is willing to keep reaching into his own pockets to fund it. We're a well run club that seems to spend on players wisely, but we lost over £10m last year (not unusual for a Championship club of course). With the new parachute payments next year he's going to have to reach even deeper. I'm sure he's funding this with the hope that we make the top flight eventually and he can recoup on some of it. We have to hope he still believes that can happen. I think he does.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
As others have said, if we can keep everyone together this should be the launch pad. Players like Dunk, Kayal and Stephens may feel they can't afford to be patient if they get the chance to play in the Premier League straight away but if there's a strong indication that the squad will be strengthened, perhaps even then they'd feel this is the place to be. A couple of the clubs coming down may have huge histories and support but that just brings its own problems and, if we build on what we have, I'm convinced we'll be pushing again.

Conversely, if we have to rebuild, it will become increasingly difficult to reach this level again. The new TV deal is really going to bite for the Championship in the 2nd season when the clubs relegated from the Premier League will be rich beyond belief.

I'd say Hughton is a season ahead of schedule considering the omnishambles he inherited. Next year is the year!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Quitter's talk from the OP.

It's a question (as most non-dullards have noticed). Or shall I compare the FA appeals committee to the South Yorkshire Police?

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Newcastle and Norwich will be tough to beat for promotion next year, but otherwise we'll be in as good a position as anyone.

We can keep on challenging for promotion for as long as Tony is willing to keep reaching into his own pockets to fund it. We're a well run club that seems to spend on players wisely, but we lost over £10m last year (not unusual for a Championship club of course). With the new parachute payments next year he's going to have to reach even deeper. I'm sure he's funding this with the hope that we make the top flight eventually and he can recoup on some of it. We have to hope he still believes that can happen. I think he does.

This is a good point. Does Bloom look at this and go 'we're only a few Million more away from the promised land' or does he go 'it looks even tougher next year, can we afford to gamble further'.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's a question (as most non-dullards have noticed). Or shall I compare the FA appeals committee to the South Yorkshire Police?

Fair enough. In which case put me in the disagree camp.

There are two teams who will have automatic promotion next season, four in the playoffs, and a few more could be sniffing around the playoffs.

I think we have a fair chance of being amongst those teams.

As for the insular, funny handshake, look after themselves brigade, there are parallels IMO.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
if they keep Benitez, they'll be champs
They might win it, yes - I just don't agree it will be a shoe-in and actually believe it more likely that they will come up slightly short.

I believe their recruitment team has been as much of an issue as their previous choice of manager. For example, they bought Jonjo Shelvey for £12m in a panic buy, and he has hardly done anything. That sort of thing is much harder to sort out than the managerial merry go round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here