Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'That was our big chance/defining moment' - Agree or disagree?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Completely different feeling tonight than after the Palace game.

Really feel that we will be even better next year and push for promotion. This has just been a stepping stone.

Poohgate and the 'resignation' quickly over took events that season as it was clear there would be no continuity. As others have said, OG did a great job holding it together.

This will be a stepping stone as long as CH stays - can see no reason why he wouldn't as none of the three relegated teams will ply for his services, can see no existing Championship club doing so, and he has (unfair) baggage from Prem.

We did got from 6th to 20th, and Wigan even worse after that season, so no guarantees but I agree that there is the kernel of good organisation, an understanding of what is needed, and an ability to achieve it. I think we must assume Stephens and Knockaert will leave, and probably Dunk, but if they realise £15-20m between them I would be confident as we would have a sound base squad and significant funds to reinvest. The degree of rebuilding is not there this close season.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
In my opinion, NUFC will be massively overpriced favourites, yet finish around 4th or 5th.

If Benitez stays they will walk it.If Villa get the right manager they will be a massive danger also.

We saw alot of northern bias this year but next season it will be on a whole different level.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think it can be said we overachieved. 46 games and we deserved to be right at the top.
I don't remember many on here predicting we were going to be fighting for top 2 with 2 other teams at the start of he season. Playoffs were most people's best hope and most people were hoping for that and a big push the following season. Including Bloom and Hughton I'm sure of it. So in those terms we massivly over achieved which means we could do even better next season.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
In my opinion, NUFC will be massively overpriced favourites, yet finish around 4th or 5th.
Yep, I don't get the whole NUFC thing. I think they and Villa are going to struggle next season.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We were never actually that close.Always one step behind Burnley and Boro for the last few weeks,always playing catch-up.Then against Wed away we were never in front.Before we could really get somewhere we found ourselves 0-1 down with 4 players off with injuries.We never really had our foot in the door.

Good point - and it leads to a general one: we have not been in control at any stage. It has been true of many games against lesser teams (hanging on, getting draws instead of wins); all games against top teams; and the League in general. Many posters disliked the lack of respect from pundits and other clubs' supporters - notably the 'cannot keep winning by a single goal' and 'dont beat anyone any good' points. But they were true and the combination did for us in the end. If we had either won a couple more games by a wider margin or achieved more against the better sides we would be up by now. It doesnt mean it was not a good season - it was - but we were never quite THERE.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In 2013 we lost Gus, Vicente, effectively Bridcutt - and the whole style of play we'd built ourselves around.

2014 we lost Oscar, Ulloa, Upson.

If we can avoid letting Hughton or our key players go, and recruit minimally and sensibly, I don't see why we shouldn't come back stronger.
This is the way I see it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Completely different feeling tonight than after the Palace game.

Really feel that we will be even better next year and push for promotion. This has just been a stepping stone.
This.

The team were seriously improved after the January window.

If we'd had Skalak and Knockaert all season. We would have romped it.

Hopefully the core of the team can be kept together and with a few key additions. We go again

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Good point - and it leads to a general one: we have not been in control at any stage. It has been true of many games against lesser teams (hanging on, getting draws instead of wins); all games against top teams; and the League in general. Many posters disliked the lack of respect from pundits and other clubs' supporters - notably the 'cannot keep winning by a single goal' and 'dont beat anyone any good' points. But they were true and the combination did for us in the end. If we had either won a couple more games by a wider margin or achieved more against the better sides we would be up by now. It doesnt mean it was not a good season - it was - but we were never quite THERE.

What team can really look at their season and not have points to self-criticise.No-one had the perfect season.

Shef Wed are the best example of that.They finished 15 points beind the 3rd placed team yet amazingly they are one victory away from being in the Prem even if they had some great luck against us.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
I think Boro away was the one. I honesty believe losing Stephens at that point was what did for us. We had hem on the back foot and I think we would have won the game. Going down to 10 meant players gave so much and completely affected the first leg game.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Next season mental attitude is going to be very significant.Those players have to pick themselves up and start aaaaaaaaall over again.Have they got the bottle.

A good reason to bring in some fresh players who don't have the hangover of failed play-offs to get over.

dabadass_209

May 9, 2014
If Benitez stays they will walk it.If Villa get the right manager they will be a massive danger also.

We saw alot of northern bias this year but next season it will be on a whole different level.

I think Villa will struggle regardless of who they get in. Too many bang average players on big wages. I think Newcastle will get automatic and Norwich will be tough to beat if they keep Alex Neil.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Disagree. I have the feeling that this season we have over achieved. Next season was always the one. Keep the squad together, add a couple more players and no reason why we can't go up.

I think any team that gets 89 points isn't overachieving. We have played some fantastic football over the last 9 months and we fully deserve to be where we are.

We'll have another bite at the cherry next season, and hopefully we can keep as much of this squad together as we can, including Chris Hughton. I'd hate to see them all picked off by premier league clubs with deeper pockets.

dabadass_209

May 9, 2014
I think any team that gets 89 points isn't overachieving. We have played some fantastic football over the last 9 months and we fully deserve to be where we are.

We'll have another bite at the cherry next season, and hopefully we can keep as much of this squad together as we can, including Chris Hughton. I'd hate to see them all picked off by premier league clubs with deeper pockets.

I think Chris Hughton has had his fingers burnt by bigger clubs. He must know he's onto a good thing here.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
I'm sticking with the thoughts that we'll be the strongest team in the league at the start of the season, closest to promotion without actually achieving it.

Get some good strikers in the summer and try to keep as many of this year's team as possible and we should dominate next year, with this new confidence.

Next year, get promoted for the 20th anniversary of Hereford and losing the Goldstone!

chrispyk

May 4, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Norwich and Newcastle spent a lot of money in the January window so I don't see them spending a ton while Villa have players who don't have championship clauses so they're paying premier league wages. Besides that I think if we can keep majority of the squad, maybe losing one or two players, we'll be one of the favorites to go up.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
As said by others totally different to the Palace year which was crushingly disappointing. They key thing now will be to keep this team together, under CH, and to carry on with the wise recruitment which has taken place under him. We need 2 new strikers, some competition, and a plan B, for Kayal and Stephens with perhaps 1 or 2 others. Newcastle under Benitez will be massive favourites but no reason why we shouldn't be up there again.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We self destructed against Palace, didn't turn up against Derby, but this year you'd be hard pushed to find a side as unlucky as us over 2 legs. I'm still stunned we weren't 3 up at HT we were that good. The officials not spotting the push for their goal is a typical mistake, but just compounded nothing going for us. We'll play worse than that first half, have less chances but score 2 or 3 times. You couldn't ask your team to give anymore. Gutted, but proud. The atmosphere was as a new high for the Amex - let's keep that up into next season.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The fact that we have had three cracks at it shows that we could have a fourth or fifth, but all this takes funding and no club in the Championship has a bottomless pit of cash.

Remember, Tony had a five year plan. I don't know whether being in the top flight or being genuine contenders was the planned outcome after five years. I tend to think he was running a little ahead of schedule and now it is on schedule.

Feel very sad today, but we will bounce back.

Sent from my iPhone using blancmange

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here