Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That sodding "AHHHH LOOK" thing that Aussie Cricketers start a sentence with...

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
..Well, Michael Vaughan's just been interviewed on 5Live - & he's started doing it too!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:rant:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's abhorrent and arrogant. It's effectively saying " Shut up, listen to me and sod you ":angry:

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
agree, f***ing annoying, it was Steve Waugh that I first remember doing it

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jason Gillespie is an absolute MASTER of this.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
:lolol: I thought it was only me who got pissed off by that

nope. I was on about it in a thread at start of series. i HATE hearing it. have a suspicion it was started more by south african players interviews but unsure

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
a lot of the english crisketers do it too, strauss in particular. i think its if theyve played a lot in aus / south africa

im not sure if anyone else has noticed this but us english do something similar too. a while ago i realised that i started a lot of sentances off with the words "i mean" even if it had no relation to the rest of the sentance . i found this really weird and became pretty self conscious about it . then i realised loads of other people do it too. weird

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
maybe we need get Bumble on the case. How does one e-mail him? he could maybe challenge Warnie over it lol

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
he could maybe challenge Warnie over it lol

Challenge as in a duel?

Would much prefer Gower to do it, he has the correct posh inflection - I can hear him now...

You sir and your Antipodean colleagues have affronted our fair language for the final time and I demand satisfaction - Tiger Moths at Dawn! :lolol:

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Jason Gillespie is an absolute MASTER of this.

I'd agree with you until last night, but Matthew Hayden was on TMS last night (as was Gillespie, funnily enuff) & he took it to a whole new level of Ahhhh-Look-ness.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to hear that these clowns are being sponsored.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
David Beckham used to be a master of the two word phrase " You Know ". This was used to link sentences or as padding out on the hoof. I'll give an example....

Match, Man Utd v Arsenal, result 2-1 to Man U

Interviewer " Well David, that certainly was one amazing match ? "

Becks " Thanks, Clive/David , you know that Arsenal are always going to give you a game, once we got the opening goal, you know they were always going to you know come back at you."

Interviewer " How did you see The Arsenal Goal ? "

Becks, "Arsenal, you know, Do score goals like that, when X/Y/Z has the ball you know they can do that and you know they can hurt you if, you know you give them too much of the ball and you knowthe ball can be in the back of your net and you know you know that you have to work hard to stop that and keep on top of them"

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I remember hearing Andrew Crofts breaking the "obviously" world record on radio Sussex last season.

That was 5 minutes well spent, I can tell you.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It's not just their cricketers, it's really common in Oz.

Has anyone ever heard Peter Beardsley complete a sentance that does not include the phrase "to be fair"?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Ha ha, hadn't really noticed before but yes thinking about it they do do it all the time and it is going to really annoy me from now on!

I think the scouse players like Gerrard are generally the worst for the "you know" thing

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
It's pissed me off for years. Collingwood has done it for ages and I've just started to notice Cook doing it. Makes me want to punch the TV, why imitate the Australians?

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It's not just their cricketers, it's really common in Oz.

Has anyone ever heard Peter Beardsley complete a sentance that does not include the phrase "to be fair"?

Ahhhh look, the boy Beardo's obviously not the only one who does it, to be fair...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
"To be honest, like, basically" are all time fillers for people who can't think what words to say next. "Look" & "Listen" are just new additions.
As much as I hate them, it is better than "Errr" & "Ahem" + cough ... to be fair

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd agree with you until last night, but Matthew Hayden was on TMS last night (as was Gillespie, funnily enuff) & he took it to a whole new level of Ahhhh-Look-ness.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to hear that these clowns are being sponsored.

Matthew Hayden started every sentence with it - that's what it seemed like anyway

A question for out Aussie members: is there a difference between state accents? Listening to the likes of Justin Langer, Matthew Hayden, Mark Taylor and Shane Warne, there seems little difference between them - even though they're from four separate states. People from Glasgow, Liverpool, Newcastle and Birmingham sound radically different but Aussies don't. Is it that my ear is not attuned to the accent and an Australian could tell instantly where someone is from or is it that there's no difference?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here