Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That rainy day has come.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So just found out that the furlough 80% only applies if you were employed by your employer on 28th February. So I'm utterly screwed if this goes on long having started my new job on 3rd March. Was I supposed to know on 2nd February when I handed my notice in that there would be a global pandemic that would threaten my job?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly. I know someone who earns about 10 x what I do , but he spends almost nothing helping his kids out when he could help them so much .

I’ve known that tight type too - the obsessive checking of healthy savings balances and ISA values, their heating turned off to such an extent that everyone’s uncomfortably cold, finding the cafe with the most dirt cheap instant coffee and feeling smug about it, relieved that they don’t need to take their kids on holiday any more (down to meanness). Sad.

There’s nothing nicer than treating your offspring and receiving their heartfelt thanks.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So just found out that the furlough 80% only applies if you were employed by your employer on 28th February. So I'm utterly screwed if this goes on long having started my new job on 3rd March. Was I supposed to know on 2nd February when I handed my notice in that there would be a global pandemic that would threaten my job?

Did you have a contract before 3rd March, not just a job offer?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I’ve known that tight type too - the obsessive checking of healthy savings balances and ISA values, their heating turned off to such an extent that everyone’s uncomfortably cold, finding the cafe with the most dirt cheap instant coffee and feeling smug about it, relieved that they don’t need to take their kids on holiday any more (down to meanness). Sad.

There’s nothing nicer than treating your offspring and receiving their heartfelt thanks.
How do people like that actually enjoy any moment of their life?

I can guarantee that I had had more fun by the time I was 29 than the majority have in their entire innings. And at that age I owned **** all, apart from a life's worth of brilliant stories.

But then I met a lovely woman, had a kid and I started being more sensible.

Now the only thing I'm concerned about money wise is looking after the Mrs and the sprog.

These sad cases (and I've met loads of them) may as well just take out a massive life insurance policy, die in a way that ensures it gets paid out and let their offspring have a life instead.

Half alive w******s.

You only get one shot!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I can guarantee that I had had more fun by the time I was 29 than the majority have in their entire innings. And at that age I owned **** all, apart from a life's worth of brilliant stories.

Now the only thing I'm concerned about money wise is looking after the Mrs and the sprog.

These sad cases (and I've met loads of them) may as well just take out a massive life insurance policy, die in a way that ensures it gets paid out and let their offspring have a life instead.

Half alive w******s.

You only get one shot!

I worked with professionals who’d proudly got through their law, accounting or tax exams by their early 20’s, then gone straight into wkng over earning loads of money. Their lives mapped out desperately hoping to marry another stiff, buy that big house, plan for future school fees, blah, blah, blah, and arrogant about it. But ...

They’d never experienced clubbing, getting smashed with mates, various unmentionable scrapes, gigs, incredible lads holidays, ‘liaising’ with various members of the opposite gender, and all the laughs that come with that lot.

By the time they tried some of the above, it was ten years too late, fish out of water as they awkwardly danced like robots. :lolol:

I genuinely never envied these money/wealth driven stiffs. The experiences we had with mates and girlfriends in our teens/twenties was/is priceless.

Besides, you can still do well in life a bit later on, when you’re ready.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I worked with professionals who’d proudly got through their law, accounting or tax exams by their early 20’s, then gone straight into wkng over earning loads of money. Their lives mapped out desperately hoping to marry another stiff, buy that big house, plan for future school fees, blah, blah, blah, and arrogant about it. But ...

They’d never experienced clubbing, getting smashed with mates, various unmentionable scrapes, gigs, incredible lads holidays, ‘liaising’ with various members of the opposite gender, and all the laughs that come with that lot.

By the time they tried some of the above, it was ten years too late, fish out of water as they awkwardly danced like robots. [emoji38]ol:

I genuinely never envied these money/wealth driven stiffs. The experiences we had with mates and girlfriends in our teens/twenties was/is priceless.

Are you me in disguise? LOL.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was employed by my old employer to 2nd March then the new one from 3rd march. There was no break in employment.

Sorry then, you’re correct.

5live had a slightly different scenario tonight, answered by an expert, where it was a happy and unexpected outcome.

Will you need to turn to Universal Credit, if you don’t mind me asking?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We were normal lads, I’d do it all again if only I could. Overall, some great times.
An ex, who is now head of English at a school in Blackpool, messaged me the other week.

She was asking me to confirm that the stories she was telling to her mates (she was on a night out) were actually true. Because they didn't believe her.

As you say, you can't buy that shit.....

I'm just happy that I can remember some of it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An ex, who is now head of English at a school in Blackpool, messaged me the other week.

She was asking me to confirm that the stories she was telling to her mates (she was on a night out) were actually true. Because they didn't believe her.

As you say, you can't buy that shit.....

I'm just happy that I can remember some of it.

I have a lovely relationship with my teenage kids, I’ve told them some of the tamer, funny stuff, including some school antics. They love it, always with the proviso, do not do what I did.

A brother of mine had a few transgressions worse than mine and certainly ‘maxed out’ his teens and twenties, but his daughters haven’t a clue. He’s gone for the whiter than white role model parent route.

I’m too open.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I have a lovely relationship with my teenage kids, I’ve told them some of the tamer, funny stuff, including some school antics. They love it, always with the proviso, do not do what I did.

A brother of mine had a few transgressions worse than mine and certainly ‘maxed out’ his teens and twenties, but his daughters haven’t a clue. He’s gone for the whiter than white role model parent route.

I’m too open.
Tell em (almost) everything and let them make their own minds up.

Best plan for sure.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Tell em (almost) everything and let them make their own minds up.

Best plan for sure.

Never mention about sex in the early days with their mother though........trust me.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I was always told to put a bit by for a rainy day. I’m glad I took that advice now as it’s times like this you need something to fall back on.
However there seems to be a lack of forethought by many. People need to ask themselves whether some of the frivolous expenditure they have made in the past would have been better spent on rainy day saving.
Many people will have the make some stark choices over their priorities in the coming months.
Government has your safety as their concern but the responsibility is yours.

and cock of the decade goes to you old man........jesus wept....:nono:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Half alive w******s.

You only get one shot!

By the time they tried some of the above, it was ten years too late, fish out of water as they awkwardly danced like robots. :lolol:

And yet, here you are, middle aged men boasting on the internet.

Yay!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
And yet, here you are, middle aged men boasting on the internet.

Yay!
"Lower weapons and disengage Mr Sulu.

Rules of engagement state that we cannot attack lower level life forms."

"Affirmative Captain"

"Let's just observe it, we may learn something about the Retardtrolls that benefits humans in future."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here