Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That rainy day has come.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You actually make a good point. There will definitely be people on this thread who have hit hard times, or genuinely never earned sufficiently good money to be able to put some away and I can understand them being upset at your assertion we should all be putting something by.

But equally, in times like this, some people on here clearly do not fall into that category and for them it is far easier to round on you as someone advocating taking responsibility of your own finances than actually look at themselves and ask whether they could have done the same.

The inference was that if you didn’t have a rainy day fund, then you were spending frivolously previously.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
i was always told to put a bit by for a rainy day. I’m glad i took that advice now as it’s times like this you need something to fall back on.
However there seems to be a lack of forethought by many. People need to ask themselves whether some of the frivolous expenditure they have made in the past would have been better spent on rainy day saving.
Many people will have the make some stark choices over their priorities in the coming months.
Government has your safety as their concern but the responsibility is yours.

Not now James.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The inference was that if you didn’t have a rainy day fund, then you were spending frivolously previously.
Yes, in some cases.

And in some cases, he's absolutely right. I would be willing to bet that at least one poster rounding on the OP has for example, at one time bought a brand new car on credit rather than a second hand run about, but hasn't a bean to his or her name.

I'm sorry, I just don't accept that absolutely everyone hounding the bloke here is a genuine hard luck case for their entire working life, and that some people have been frivolous rather than frugal where they might have been.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Yep. Add to the fact they posted it and then backed away, it is presumably a sleeper account of one of the usual suspects.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep. Add to the fact they posted it and then backed away, it is presumably a sleeper account of one of the usual suspects.
If it is Tim Hodges then I take it all back. Come to think of it, what with the timing of this post being so terrible, it wouldn't surprise me.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Managed to save up 5k for a family holiday to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary in April through hard work and sacrifice. Have probably lost the lot to a credit note.

Take your sanctimonious gloating somewhere else.

Same boat (metaphorically)

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I doubt even 1% of the population have a rainy day fund. And even if they do I doubt it is sufficient for this total meltdown.
From recollection the most recent stats from financial regulators show that circa 70% of households had no more than 3 months income in savings. So it’s not surprising that many will be in dire straits and hence the need for government intervention. In the aftermath of this it will be interesting to see whether savings increase ......or fall even further in the belief that the government will always step in.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Some of our frivolous spending over the last 20 years has been helping to support one daughter through 4 years at Cardiff University, and then daughter #2 through 6 (six) years in London training as a doctor. Supporting meant included paying their rent, which we promised to do at the outset. For 4 years in Cardiff it wasn't too bad. 6 years in London was a killer!

What any parent would do if they could:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, in some cases.

And in some cases, he's absolutely right. I would be willing to bet that at least one poster rounding on the OP has for example, at one time bought a brand new car on credit rather than a second hand run about, but hasn't a bean to his or her name.

I'm sorry, I just don't accept that absolutely everyone hounding the bloke here is a genuine hard luck case for their entire working life, and that some people have been frivolous rather than frugal where they might have been.

Yes, but, the OP is a dick. You can see that, yes?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was always told to put a bit by for a rainy day. I’m glad I took that advice now as it’s times like this you need something to fall back on.
However there seems to be a lack of forethought by many. People need to ask themselves whether some of the frivolous expenditure they have made in the past would have been better spent on rainy day saving.
Many people will have the make some stark choices over their priorities in the coming months.

You seem like fun....let’s hook up and have a beer .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was always told to put a bit by for a rainy day. I’m glad I took that advice now as it’s times like this you need something to fall back on.

But have you truly lived a life though? Have you been generous in supporting your loved ones out of your precious savings and investments, donated generously to charities from your funds?

I’ve worked with incredibly tight colleagues, the watch the pennies and the pounds the look after themselves types, squirrelling away almost all their disposable income into building society accounts and ISA’s. Knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

On a dullard’s journey to be the richest guy in the graveyard.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Are you alright Jack?

Thats good. Thanks for letting us know.

I am sure those people struggling will be eternally grateful for you advice.

I can't help but wonder if your pearls of wisdom would have been more useful during the sunny days rather than the downpour.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Yes, in some cases.

I don’t really think that people are hounding him because they don’t have savings, I think it’s because it’s an insensitive and wanky thing to say regardless of what position you’re in. I’m lucky enough to have put away a little bit of money, it’s difficult to access but it’s there if I need it. I’m not going to post about how ****ing great I am and how everyone else is an idiot for not having the same opportunity.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I haven’t a pot to piss in but luckily my 6 year old has an account with a few grand in it. Sadly not for much longer. His sacrifice will keep a roof above our heads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here