That Glenn Murray is a very good player

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It can take time for a player to settle in to a new club and it took us time to adjust to being without him. He was also injured for a length of time in his first season in the Champ.

what length was that? he totted up 37 league and 43 total apperances. clearly the difference was tactics used in second season (alot of penalties too iirc). as some eles said, there' no certainty he'd have clocked up even half the goals with Gus or indeed Oscars tactics applied in the Championship.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So what you are saying is that he was dropped, mainly due to not scoring very often.

No, I did not say that at all, you know what I was saying, but what you seem to be saying is he wasn't carrying an injury in his first season in the Championship.

This debate is about Poyet not rating Murray and letting him go but I can clearly see that you feel that not keeping Murray was justified even though he ended up top scorer in the Champ and is now playing in the Prem.

I have said before on this thread that letting Murray go would have been the same as Shampton getting rid of Lambert when they stepped up to the Championship.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No, I did not say that at all, you know what I was saying, but what you seem to be saying is he wasn't carrying an injury in his first season in the Championship.

This debate is about Poyet not rating Murray and letting him go but I can clearly see that you feel that not keeping Murray was justified even though he ended up top scorer in the Champ and is now playing in the Prem.

I have said before on this thread that letting Murray go would have been the same as Shampton getting rid of Lambert when they stepped up to the Championship.

If you look at the five players who scored 20+ goals in League 1 when we went up as a champions I would rank them (based on their goal scoring and all round performances THAT season).

1= CMS and Lambert
3: Murray
4: Hoskins
5: Barnes

I personally would have kept Murray, always rated him, I have a framed photo of him in my office, but the club decided to not meet his wage demands. Whether that is down to Bloom, Brown or Poyet we will never know.

Palace were more than happy to let Murray go after one season though, because his performances were no more than okay, hence the proposed swap deal with Hoskins.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If you look at the five players who scored 20+ goals in League 1 when we went up as a champions I would rank them (based on their goal scoring and all round performances THAT season).

1= CMS and Lambert
3: Murray
4: Hoskins
5: Barnes

I personally would have kept Murray, always rated him, I have a framed photo of him in my office, but the club decided to not meet his wage demands. Whether that is down to Bloom, Brown or Poyet we will never know.

Palace were more than happy to let Murray go after one season though, because his performances were no more than okay, hence the proposed swap deal with Hoskins.

That's not the way I heard it, Murray was on around £4k, Palace offered around £12k, we offered £7.5k, Murray said he would stay for £9k, Bloom said to Gus shall we pay him the £9k and Gus said no let him go.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's not the way I heard it, Murray was on around £4k, Palace offered around £12k, we offered £7.5k, Murray said he would stay for £9k, Bloom said to Gus shall we pay him the £9k and Gus said no let him go.

So you 'heard it'. That's still not hard evidence. He wasn't on £12k at Palace either.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So you 'heard it'. That's still not hard evidence. He wasn't on £12k at Palace either.

I don't expect anyone should believe it themselves but based on the connection I heard it from, there was no deception detected, so it's good enough evidence for me.

I said around £12k but I am sure you can correct me on the exact figure.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
It still doesn't change the fact that he's a ****, I lost all respect for him when he dived in the 3-0

Was that the one when greer manhandled him to the ground ? didnt look like a dive to me .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was that the one when greer manhandled him to the ground ? didnt look like a dive to me .

No, it was the one where he stuck his foot into Kuszczak and dived as if he'd been brought down. We saw him do an identical dive at Carlisle for us.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Gotta say for a player back from long term injury he was quality against Manure yesterday like he had never been away.
I curse the day we let him go still, he would have fired us into the Premier League last season no doubt about it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I can see a lot of people agree wih me. A mad, stupid, short-sighted, penny-pinching decision to let him go.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
... who will be back in the Championship next season.

Great result for Norwich today.

Palace only have one game left that looks winnable for them.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Indeed. Same as Lua Lua. It's modern football. He is comfortably the best target man we've had. Not keeping him was an absolute travesty and cost us £5million trying to replace him.

Costing Tony 14.7 million just for last season alone and no one knows how much for this season or the next.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
... who will be back in the Championship next season.

Great result for Norwich today.

Palace only have one game left that looks winnable for them.

What a load of rubbish.

Sunderland, Cardiff, Villa, West Ham and Fulham are all games where we can target 3 points. Wouldn't be too surprised to see us get a result against Swansea, Southampton or Newcastle either with the way we've been playing under Pulis. We're top of the "relegation mini-league" and have a phenomenal record against teams in the bottom half, so we're probably expecting at least 9 points from the first 5 fixtures I listed.

Many pundits have said they would be surprised if Palace weren't playing in the Premier League next year. Appointing Tony looks like a fantastic decision, and one that will probably keep us up.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What a load of rubbish.

Sunderland, Cardiff, Villa, West Ham and Fulham are all games where we can target 3 points. Wouldn't be too surprised to see us get a result against Swansea, Southampton or Newcastle either with the way we've been playing under Pulis. We're top of the "relegation mini-league" and have a phenomenal record against teams in the bottom half, so we're probably expecting at least 9 points from the first 5 fixtures I listed.

Many pundits have said they would be surprised if Palace weren't playing in the Premier League next year. Appointing Tony looks like a fantastic decision, and one that will probably keep us up.

Comedy GOLD from start to finish :lolol:

How many of the bottom half teams have you played at home, and how many away, with your 'phenomenal' record ???

If you EXPECT 9 points from those 5 fixtures ( 4 of them away ) you must surely be clinically deluded.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports