That Adebayor song

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Am i the only one that finds it amazing, that he gets upset about an elephant thing but not about his mum being called a whore.

Just deciding to jump on the bandwagon with the racist thing. IMO

I think he did complain about the song in general, but he knows that calling his mother a whore is more of a time honoured term of abuse that would be targeted at any player (and is probably used BY players too, a la Zidane/Materazzi), referring to elephants on the other hand, is aimed at him because of his ethnic background.

Neither is nice, but I can understand why he finds the elephant thing more of an issue.

Jumping on the bandwagon: no. That Brazilian player who whinged about being booed by the Scottish fans was jumping on the bandwagon, not to mention being entirely stupid if he couldn't see that he was being booed because of his cheating and not because of his ethnicity.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Viera, ohhhh
Viera, ohhhhh
He comes from Senegal,
His Dad's a cannibal.

Another song like that - you can't really claim they're not racist - it's hardly like anyone knows enough about the differences between Togo and Chad to claim it's not based on the fact they're from Africa.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It implies that they do that (which I highly doubt they do) because they are black/because of where they come from...

I think you have mistaken inference for implication. Your inference is that it is something to do with race,but on the face of the song,it does not imply that. Twisted knickers all round.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Not just Spurs fans mate, Arsenal sing it too. And they are the least racist club in London. Definitely the club with the most black fans as well.

Without a doubt.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
It should have been you,
it should have been youuuuu,
shot in Angola, it should have been you.

Harsh but raised a slight smile.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
its been sang for 2 years+ why is it suddenly racist now?

There is some irony in the fact he's only raised it now he's playing in Spain of all places, home of the thousands of fans who made monkey noises at certain England players not that long ago.

But that doesn't really change it, perhaps he felt if he kept quiet previously, it would die a death. Or perhaps he was responding to a specific question from a journalist on this occasion?

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I think that Adebayor has reacted in this way as he's particularly hurt as to the sensitive nature of the comments that were made. After all, it seems that elephants are close to being completely extinct in Togo.
For animal lovers there are many national parks in Togo including the park in the vicinity of the town of Sokode called Fazao Malfacassa National Park, where many species of primate and the last remaining elephants of Togo have found a home.
I wonder if his Dad works in the national park? That would be ironic.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I once accompanied a young lady who was introduced to a member of our royal family and who, when she said she was from Kenya, was asked whether she had ever eaten elephant. She and I and everyone in earshot took it to be an essentially racist remark. No prizes for guessing which member of the Greek, sorry OUR, royal family it was but they would doubtless have appreciated the song about Adebayor.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not racist. Quite humorous

The easily offended on here will use it to piss their pants as usual though

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Not racist. Quite humorous

The easily offended on here will use it to piss their pants as usual though

Whilst I disagree with you about it not being racist, I really don't get how you could ever call it 'humorous'? What is it that you think is funny about it?

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
Whilst I disagree with you about it not being racist, I really don't get how you could ever call it 'humorous'? What is it that you think is funny about it?

I like to think I have a broad sense of humour, but I am struggling to find anything even remotely amusing in that, there is not even a hint of something forcing me to smile.

Perhaps Dougal finds the apparent offensiveness amusing?

sGranted, I'll be told to stop sanitising football, but why not focus ones energy on singing for our team? Granted, there will be exceptions to the rule. McGleigh (and Carl Griffiths, if he still played), but does Adebayor deserve that sort vitriol for leaving a club that he never supported? Besides, that is pantomine stuff.

There are loads of mercenaries in football. Do the Arsenal fans offer the same sort of abuse to those running the club and taking a huge wedge?

Where do you draw the line between 'banter' and 'abuse'?

I assume I am a pant wetter.

Humorous? It is not even remotely clever, witty or catchy. A chant for drongos and those with a limited mental capacity.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not racist in my opinion. What has washing an elephant and your mum being on the game got to do with the colour of ones skin??? Or am i missing something?

It implies that they do that (which I highly doubt they do) because they are black/because of where they come from...

Obviously it's pushing the borders of racism, but if we really have to analyse it I'd put it in the same bracket as us calling the Welsh sheep shaggers. If other Africans sang the Adebayor song would that be racist? If Africans sang a song about welsh people shagging sheep would that be considered racist? Is it racist when we call the welsh sheep shaggers or it it ok because we're the same colour?

Adebayor is from africa, there are Elephants in africa therefore it isn't skin colour related. If the same song was sung at a black player who was born in europe then it would be highly racist.

Oct 2, 2008
Without entering the debate about the song , I do find it difficult to find any sympathy for the man who sprinted most of the length of the pitch and caused a near riot when playing for Man City against Arsenal. Whether or not he has grounds for complaint on this occasion , Abebayor is a cock.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I like to think I have a broad sense of humour, but I am struggling to find anything even remotely amusing in that, there is not even a hint of something forcing me to smile.

Perhaps Dougal finds the apparent offensiveness amusing?

That's what I find amusing about it. I too like to think I can appreciate a broad range of humour and for me that includes the downright offensive. Offensive humour is part of our culture, which is the reason comedians like frankie boyle can make a living. (Although strangely I find FB pretty boring)

PS I quite like the Sol Campbell song that Spurs came up with, it covers pretty much every base in the bigotry stakes

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I once accompanied a young lady who was introduced to a member of our royal family and who, when she said she was from Kenya, was asked whether she had ever eaten elephant. She and I and everyone in earshot took it to be an essentially racist remark. No prizes for guessing which member of the Greek, sorry OUR, royal family it was but they would doubtless have appreciated the song about Adebayor.

Reminds me of the time we had a Christmas raffle at the telephone exchange and a young woman who had a winning ticket was asked to pick out a prize from the table and shouted out loudly to the organiser "I would love an elephant , Dick" which had us rolling around with laughter for about 5 minutes.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
That's what I find amusing about it. I too like to think I can appreciate a broad range of humour and for me that includes the downright offensive. Offensive humour is part of our culture, which is the reason comedians like frankie boyle can make a living. (Although strangely I find FB pretty boring)

PS I quite like the Sol Campbell song that Spurs came up with, it covers pretty much every base in the bigotry stakes

You don't find it amusing? Sorry, I am a bit confused.

I appreciate offensive humour and I have been known to overstep the mark myself, but this particular song has no rhyme or reason. It might be vaguely amusing if it were relevant, but it is an exceedingly poor effort to be funny or offensive, in my humble opinion. I am not one to grasp for the mute button or grapple amongst a variety of email addresses to complain.

It is just plain shit and I feel sympathy for those that find the chant even remotely amusing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports