Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thanks for you help is Sexist!!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
When I had a J. Arthur recently, thoughts of women were of great help, thoughts of men made it hard work.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I was in a bar last night, saw this beautiful woman like a supermodel.
I walked up, I was like "Hey, where you from? What do you do?"
She goes, "Oh, me, I live here in San Francisco. I am a brain surgeon."
I don't know if this makes me sexist but I was really impressed...
Most women can't pull of sarcasm.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I was in a bar last night, saw this beautiful woman like a supermodel.
I walked up, I was like "Hey, where you from? What do you do?"
She goes, "Oh, me, I live here in San Francisco. I am a brain surgeon."
I don't know if this makes me sexist but I was really impressed...
Most women can't pull of sarcasm.

But it's an interesting question. What is the "pull of sarcasm"? Perhaps our national obsession with the "lowest form of wit" should be explored further. However I'm not sure what it has to do with most women as your final sentence seems to be missing a word.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Perhaps people should stop thanking other people for anything. Maybe then they'd be happy.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
12d60da1d6d2a9246caf609948ab7007.jpg

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
In trying to write on this thread I have to ask the wife to stop making so much noise in the kitchen, whilst making the tea and doing the washing up :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But it's an interesting question. What is the "pull of sarcasm"? Perhaps our national obsession with the "lowest form of wit" should be explored further. However I'm not sure what it has to do with most women as your final sentence seems to be missing a word.

I think the final sentence is missing a letter rather than a word. Off not of.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I am a pretty liberal kind of chap and believe in going out of my way to make people feel comfortable but it appears i have reached my limit.

Is this really a ****ing thing???

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/life/c...12/one-word-everyone-should-stop-using-office

The one word everyone should stop using in the office

When a man edits, it’s called work. When a woman does, she’s helping out. (AMC)

In the Bible, Eve is created to serve Adam. “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him,” muses God in Genesis 2:18.

Twenty-first-century office culture is no exception. More than 3,000 years later, the word “help” is used all the time—particularly in reference to the work that women do.

In November, ex-Gawker writer Dayna Evans published a Medium post alleging insidious sexism at the publication. In a memo announcing the hire of editor-in-chief Alex Pareene, interim editor-in-chief Leah Beckmann’s is characterised in the following way:

Leah Beckmann deserves the gratitude and respect of all of us for stepping up as acting editor-in-chief of Gawker during a goddamned horrible time for the site’s staff….Please thank her for stepping into the breach and helping out.

When a man edits, it’s called work. When a woman does, she’s helping out.

When a man edits, it’s called work. When a woman does, she’s helping out.

I’ve heard it countless times, even from co-workers I consider attuned to gender equality. Once, as I was leaving a previous job, the CEO sent me an email thanking me for all of my help. It might be a slip of the tongue, but it makes genuine appreciation sound dismissive and a woman’s effort seem quaint.

It’s not just journalism. In February, Adam Grant and Sheryl Sandberg wrote in the New York Times that women often take a gendered role of “office housework” in corporate settings:

This is the sad reality in workplaces around the world: Women help more but benefit less from it. In keeping with deeply held gender stereotypes, we expect men to be ambitious and results-oriented, and women to be nurturing and communal. When a man offers to help, we shower him with praise and rewards. But when a woman helps, we feel less indebted. She’s communal, right? She wants to be a team player. The reverse is also true. When a woman declines to help a colleague, people like her less and her career suffers. But when a man says no, he faces no backlash. A man who doesn’t help is “busy”; a woman is “selfish.”

Thinking of women’s work as “help” might be one of the reasons with why there’s still a gender pay gap

I’m talking about situations where women are paid for the work they do. I’m all for a spirit of collaboration and generosity. But when it’s in a professional context, “helping” your colleagues or manager or reporters is by definition work.

The words we use matter. And the way we describe work affects how we think about it. Thinking of women’s work as “help” might be one of the reasons with why there’s still a gender pay gap, not to mention severe underrepresentation of women in leadership positions across industries.

As Soraya Chemaly wrote for Quartz earlier this year: “The message that women’s time and work is inherently less valuable than that of their male peers’ is a systemic one.” Do us all a favour and keep thanking colleagues for their work, their ideas, even their attitudes. But never for their help.

What a load of poo poo. As a women I really appreciate it when people say "thank you for your help". As some who works in IT support, thank you's can be lacking, but that is nothing to do with being a women more to with how people treat IT staff.

I 100 percent agree that if a women is doing the same job as a man they should be paid the same. But this type of article is just nuts and embarrassing.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Work!

"Work, I need somebody
Work, not just anybody
Work, you know I need someone..."

No, it'll never catch on.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
What a load of poo poo. As a women I really appreciate it when people say "thank you for your help". As some who works in IT support, thank you's can be lacking, but that is nothing to do with being a women more to with how people treat IT staff.

I 100 percent agree that if a women is doing the same job as a man they should be paid the same. But this type of article is just nuts and embarrassing.

You work in IT and are female? Wow!

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Wouldn't worry about it., When this country gets overrun with poxy muslims, The women will be treated like shit, and told to walk one step behind the men.
They really will have something to moan about then. No doubt homosexuals will have even harder time.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wouldn't worry about it., When this country gets overrun with poxy muslims, The women will be treated like shit, and told to walk one step behind the men.
They really will have something to moan about then. No doubt homosexuals will have even harder time.

Last edited:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
You work in IT and are female? Wow!

I agree it is unusual. But I like it, Any flavour of UNIX from tru64, red hat Ubuntu or Solaris. Also checkpoint and Cisco networking. I never talk publicly about what I do as soon as I do people either glaze over or ask some question about why their laptop maybe acting oddly.

Like it said I find articles like this frustrating, I have never once heard a women complain about someone saying thank you. There are many issues and descraceful things happening to women all over the world and writing articles like this do nothing to help.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
agree its twaddle, it is also definitely political correctness. i'll leave Merriam-Webster to make the argument better than i can.

'Political correctness' is merely a vain attempt to beat the intelligent with by the immoral and unthinking.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I am a pretty liberal kind of chap and believe in going out of my way to make people feel comfortable but it appears i have reached my limit.

Is this really a ****ing thing???

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/life/c...12/one-word-everyone-should-stop-using-office

The one word everyone should stop using in the office

you are not a Liberal you are a regressive liberal.

this falls under the hubris of speech codes, something you usually fall in line with concerning other issues.

Maybe you had a rare moment of clarity or maybe you need to see your doctor?

In any way its a bit Like Donald Trump opening a thread complaining about the lack of civility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here