Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thanks for you help is Sexist!!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I've read that piece a couple of times now, and am happy to admit I have absolutely no idea what the writer is trying to say.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Typical Americans finding something to get prissy about when there's nothing there.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Hadn't really thought about it before but a female colleague has just typed 'thanks for all your help' - now what do I do ? ? ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In the Bible, Eve is created to serve Adam. “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him,” muses God in Genesis 2:18.

Perhaps if I go to church more often...????

A helper is not a servant.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
“The message that women’s time and work is inherently less valuable than that of their male peers’ is a systemic one.” Do us all a favour and keep thanking colleagues for their work, their ideas, even their attitudes. But never for their help.

Thanks for that, love. Now put the kettle on.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I get it. If you say to male colleagues "good work" and female "thanks for your help" then it's sexist. You are valuing their work differently.

How many do that? I might say either but it wouldn't be based on gender.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've read that piece a couple of times now, and am happy to admit I have absolutely no idea what the writer is trying to say.

whats happened is that the author, having read a single line in the bible, has misappropriated "help" as an intrinsically female oriented word. Eve is a "helper" therefore to help is feminine. armed with this, she had become sensitive to the words use and decided its always exclusively used towards her/other females in place of the word "work". when in fact its just a polite way of saying thank you for your effort, help and work are not directly synonymous (though often used interchangable in the workplace. or should that be helpplace?).

if it had been published on the 1st i'd have thought it a paroday, alas it wasnt and i think the author is quite serious. unfortunately this is where you end up with political correctness, people managle or re-interpret words and meanings looking for offense. i hope this was of help to you. or maybe of work to you.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
She needs to stop worrying her pretty little head about such things and get on with being a good little helper.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
She needs to stop worrying her pretty little head about such things and get on with being a good little helper.
It's true. In the time she wasted writing that she could have made the coffees AND done the washing up.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I get it. If you say to male colleagues "good work" and female "thanks for your help" then it's sexist. You are valuing their work differently.

How many do that? I might say either but it wouldn't be based on gender.

I agree. As a male in the workplace for some 40 years, I have been thanked for my help on countless occasions, and have thanked both male and female colleagues for their help.

I have an enormous amount of time for equality issues, but don't think this is a valid argument.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
whats happened is that the author, having read a single line in the bible, has misappropriated "help" as an intrinsically female oriented word. Eve is a "helper" therefore to help is feminine. armed with this, she had become sensitive to the words use and decided its always exclusively used towards her/other females in place of the word "work". when in fact its just a polite way of saying thank you for your effort, help and work are not directly synonymous (though often used interchangable in the workplace. or should that be helpplace?).

if it had been published on the 1st i'd have thought it a paroday, alas it wasnt and i think the author is quite serious. unfortunately this is where you end up with political correctness, people managle or re-interpret words and meanings looking for offense. i hope this was of help to you. or maybe of work to you.

1.5/10.

It's not political correctness, it's twaddle.

Big difference.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here