Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thanks Dad

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
We moved to Goldstone Crescent July 1969 and Dad took us to the Portsmouth League Cup in August ... the noise, the buzz, the roar. Wide-eyed, gazing up at him looking for approval, wanting to belong to this fantastic world - happy smiles wreathed in smoke, yellow fingers, bad teeth, bad language, secret language. Hooked! Getting there about 6pm for the Wolves game (30,000 +) so we could get a place against the wall. Little us were 2-1 up at half-time against a team that played in Europe and was on Match of The Day / Big Match every other week with Derek Dougan and other superstars. Lost 3-2. This 10 year old was heart-broken but so proud that little us had run them so close. Chatting all the way back across Hove Park, bouncing alongside Dad longing for him to agree that we would have won if the referee hadn't been on their side. Learning the songs (but skipping over the naughty bits). Looking at the North Stand with such yearning. Dad took us every week except once but we lost 3-0 to Bristol Roves which only proved how brilliant he was (with hindsight ... think he'd been out on the piss and spent all his money). Being taught how to read a league table P W D L F A. What's goal average? How big is the goal? What is offside? What do those letters and numbers round the pitch mean? Can we get a programme? Why do they call it the chicken run? All explained with infinite patience, love and a smile.

He’s 84 this year, frail and almost lost his sight. My sister took him to Brigthon 'til I die last week. He shed a tear. I took my 2 daughters the day before and did the same. I'm stuck in Prague today but they'll be there carrying the baton.

God bless you, Dad

And a big thank you to Dick, Tony, Martin, Paul, Attila and countless others.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Jack Albion & Harvey Albion Stephenson will be there with mum Lisa thanks to Dad John, who passed away 7 years ago...He loved the Albion to bits, & had three 10 year season tickets, was Wardy's first point of call when in town (he is also in his friends thoughts today)

I remember 'Mad John' well. Had a gift shop on the seafront. Was on the same minibus going to Hereford but didn't make it back on the return journey on account of someone slipping something into his beer and it interfering with his 'medication' which resulted in him going walkabout! Great bloke.

Jeez, I'm blubbing like a big girl reading some of this stuff on here. My old man took me to Walsall home Feb 1972 (lost 1-2 Spearitt) for my first game and always loved him for introducing me to the Albion 'drug'. He passed away in 1991 -(f***ing asbestosis)- so never knew of the struggle. But he was a big fan (and man). Thanks Dad!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here