Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thanks Dad

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Jack Albion & Harvey Albion Stephenson will be there with mum Lisa thanks to Dad John, who passed away 7 years ago...He loved the Albion to bits, & had three 10 year season tickets, was Wardy's first point of call when in town (he is also in his friends thoughts today)

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
My dad took me to Brighton v Everton in MAy 1980, and for the next few years it was me and dad time on Saturday afternoons, those were the best days and times of my life and made the father / son bond stronger and Im please to say its still as strong today as ever, he is 81 now and unable to go to games, but I know he will listening on the radio and cheering when the ball hits the back of the onion net. Thanks Dad

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
My Dad was never keen on football, but although I had been been before I started going regularly around 1972 with my mate Binge. We went everywhere together, and always said we would walk up Wembley Way together. In 1983, I managed to lose him en route to the FA Cup final, and found him waiting for me at the start of Wembley Way.

Sadly the Big C got him in March this year, and the poor bugger is going to miss this. However, with the help of Gripper Stebson I have got his picture on the Albion Fans Mosaic (Thanks Gripper, you are a star) so he will be there in a way.

There are going to be a lot of fans watching this one from above today, so sing up for all of those who sadly wont be there!

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
For me it was 1956, when my Dad took me for the first time. I stood on a wooden box in the west stand at the Goldstone. Since then, we went every week with my Mum, Grandad and Uncle joining us. We had season tickets in the south and west stands for years. Sadly all but my Dad have passed away, but Dad, although totally disabled now, still follows the Albion and he will be 98 next month. He is as excited as me about today and my dream is to take him to the Amex in a few weeks time to watch his beloved Seagulls live for one more time.

Thanks to Dad, blue and white has run in my veigns for all my life. I have done crazy things following the Seagulls, flown countless miles not to miss a match. Lived the few highs and many lows from the first promotion to Div 3 south, via the cup final to the current Champions.

But today, is like nothing else. My emotions are running so high. The excitement almost unbearable. We are finally home. We are proud. We are the Seagulls. We are the Albion. Forever.

Thanks DAD.

salazar

Jun 15, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can only echo what has already been said.My father passed away on April 11 this year.He is the reason that i support the Albion,having taken me to my first game back in 1971.It will be a very emotional game.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
It was 1970 when my dad first took me to The Goldstone at the age of 7 and the Blue and White has run through my viens ever since.
Sadly he passed away in 99 aged only 61 but I know he will be there with me today and looking down on this splendid new stadium willing us on for the 3 points.
Thanks Dad.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I submitted this poem in the East Stand concourse competiition to have poems/thoughts etc. from Albion fans about their memories of the Goldstone put on the wall of the concourse. The organisers liked it but, due to limited space, could only include the first three verses on the wall. Thought you might like to see it in its' entirety, I've changed the wording on a couple of the verses from when I first posted it on here.

Me and Dad

Please take me to The Goldstone Dad, I’d really like to go
I’ve never seen a football match , oh please, just make it so
I’ll take you son but you must behave and not just muck about
But watch and cheer the boys in blue and maybe give a shout

And watch out if the ball comes near, just mind your head and dip
And pay no heed to naughty words that slip through grown ups lips
So off we went that rainy day in 1962
To see the team in brilliant shirts with stripes of white and blue

The Goldstone was an awesome sight seen through my keen young eyes
The terrace, pitch and people, flood lights towering in the sky
Crowds of people, sights and sounds the smell of grass and ‘fags’
Listening to the grown ups talking, laughing at their gags.

The teams ran out and cheers began, Barrow were the opposition
A song rang out and singing started from all in our position
What is that song called Dad? I asked and why are people singing?
That’s Good old Sussex by the sea, it sometimes helps us winning

We won the game and I was hooked, please can I come again?
I didn’t mind the standing Dad, I didn’t mind the rain
And so began my love affair with the team in blue and white
I really had no choice at all, it always felt just right

Dad died in 1975 and look at what he missed
Promotion to division one, league trophies being kissed
A small slight lad called Peter Ward the best we’d ever seen
The FA Cup at Wembley, just United spoiled our dream

The trio of devious traitors who ripped the club apart
The Goldstone being torn down, would have broken his tired heart
2 sad years without a home the club saved by Dick Knight
Moving to the Withdean to help our clubs dire plight

10 long years of fighting trying to get our stadium built
Small minded Parish Councillors live with their share of guilt
The ups and downs, the wins defeats, a rollercoaster ride
But always cheering Albion on with love and hope and pride

And finally The Amex rose after all the years of pain
With thanks to Mr Tony Bloom, no more freezing in the rain
But when I take my seat at last, one thing will make me glad
That day in 1962 ,The Goldstone, me and Dad

Lush

Mods' Pet
My dad took me for the first time in 1973 - Cloughie's first game in charge. Vs York City, a 0 - 0 draw, attendance 16,017. We always got to the Chicken Run at least an hour and a half early so we could stand leaning on the barrier above the walk way. My grandad made me a folding wooden stool to stand on.

Dad eventually moved back to Norwich. He was in poor health but we both made it to the last Brighton v Norwich game at Carrow Road in 2009. He died last year. Thanks Dad. Now see what you've done!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Back in 1972 my dad took me to my first ever game at the Goldstone, and from that day on blue and white was injected into my body. My dad passed away in 2003 but I will forever thank him for that day back in 1972.

Tomorrow, i will be taking 2 of my sons to the game, and for the youngest it will be his first ever Albion game. I hope the impact on him is as great as it was to me back in 1972

Albion for life, not just for a new stadium
My Dad took me to my first game in 72 also, though the first I can really remember was the Chelsea FA Cup game in early 73. He passed away at the start of 2009, only a couple of months after freezing himself solid at Withdean for the last time. He felt the cold more keenly having moved to Spain 6 years earlier. Over the last 15 years or so I haven't known whether to thank him of curse him for getting me to follow the Albion, but today is definitely one where I'll be thanking him and regretting that he didn't see it. The gift/curse that is following the Albion has now been passed onto both my daughters. Eldest has a ST (as she did for the last 4/5 years at Withdean) and will be there with me today.

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
I submitted this poem in the East Stand concourse competiition to have poems/thoughts etc. from Albion fans about their memories of the Goldstone put on the wall of the concourse. The organisers liked it but, due to limited space, could only include the first three verses on the wall. Thought you might like to see it in its' entirety, I've changed the wording on a couple of the verses from when I first posted it on here.

Me and Dad

Please take me to The Goldstone Dad, I’d really like to go
I’ve never seen a football match , oh please, just make it so
I’ll take you son but you must behave and not just muck about
But watch and cheer the boys in blue and maybe give a shout

And watch out if the ball comes near, just mind your head and dip
And pay no heed to naughty words that slip through grown ups lips
So off we went that rainy day in 1962
To see the team in brilliant shirts with stripes of white and blue

The Goldstone was an awesome sight seen through my keen young eyes
The terrace, pitch and people, flood lights towering in the sky
Crowds of people, sights and sounds the smell of grass and ‘fags’
Listening to the grown ups talking, laughing at their gags.

The teams ran out and cheers began, Barrow were the opposition
A song rang out and singing started from all in our position
What is that song called Dad? I asked and why are people singing?
That’s Good old Sussex by the sea, it sometimes helps us winning

We won the game and I was hooked, please can I come again?
I didn’t mind the standing Dad, I didn’t mind the rain
And so began my love affair with the team in blue and white
I really had no choice at all, it always felt just right

Dad died in 1975 and look at what he missed
Promotion to division one, league trophies being kissed
A small slight lad called Peter Ward the best we’d ever seen
The FA Cup at Wembley, just United spoiled our dream

The trio of devious traitors who ripped the club apart
The Goldstone being torn down, would have broken his tired heart
2 sad years without a home the club saved by Dick Knight
Moving to the Withdean to help our clubs dire plight

10 long years of fighting trying to get our stadium built
Small minded Parish Councillors live with their share of guilt
The ups and downs, the wins defeats, a rollercoaster ride
But always cheering Albion on with love and hope and pride

And finally The Amex rose after all the years of pain
With thanks to Mr Tony Bloom, no more freezing in the rain
But when I take my seat at last, one thing will make me glad
That day in 1962 ,The Goldstone, me and Dad

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Dad took me to see the Man City game in '81. I was eight... and hooked.

He left us in 2004 and was the inspiration behind the mosaic. This is the pic of us on the mosaic taken before he died.

Will be thinking of you today fella.

Warren and dad.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My Dad died in 1998 so didn't see us return to Brighton. Thanks Dad for giving me my love of the Albion.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Back in 1972 my dad took me to my first ever game at the Goldstone, and from that day on blue and white was injected into my body. My dad passed away in 2003 but I will forever thank him for that day back in 1972.

Tomorrow, i will be taking 2 of my sons to the game, and for the youngest it will be his first ever Albion game. I hope the impact on him is as great as it was to me back in 1972

Albion for life, not just for a new stadium

My dad took me in 1980 when I was six. I was in the East Stand and used to go the front and stand on a milk crate so I could see over the side. I remember my dad always taking a flask, in fact I remember seeing lots of people with flasks lol.

I then moved on to the South Stand and once I had gained my independence I used to go in the North Stand.

I am in a bit of dream today. It's not going to hit me until I finally get to my seat in the North Stand. Thought's that are running through my mind at the moment, is this really our stadium. :lolol:

My dad passed away in 2004.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Can echo all the sentiments on here. My dad first took me in - I think - 1972 for a 2-2 draw v Northampton. It took a few more years for me to develop the passion for the Albion we all share but it was in time for our glory years from 76-83. Many happy memories of going with my older brother, who sadly died in a car accident in 1995. Would have loved both of them to have seen this day, so will be singing extra loud for them.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
You lucky people

my Dads a Chelsea fan , I had to discover the Albion off my own back.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Thanks to my Dad too...wish he still posted on here, was prolific only a year or two ago!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here