Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank you Gus Poyet

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
all of this
and thankyou for making Brightonians
and old Brightonians
proud to stick our chests out and say yes I support and I am a fan of the Albion
and good luck wherever you go

Funnily enough I have always been proud to support the Albion! Guess I'm not an armchair fan like some! Gus did good but all this rhetoric is pathetic. He was leaving if we won the playoffs from what I hear. He did well but also had a lot of faults he is not the martyr as some would like to think! A very good manager but we will survive without him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What a load of crap. Gus didn't give us identity, we had that in spades at Withdean, and before. As for pride, if you have only felt pride in the last 4 years then I pity you.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Pretty much this.

Gus's Albion career is on life support, but the memories are good. Despite the way it is (probably) ending, I couldn't find it in myself to hate him or even boo him should he return with another team.

Gus was and is passionate. He wore his heart on his sleeve and told it like it was. That was probably his downfall. There's lots that we don't know. Hopefully one day the who true story of what went on behind the scenes will emerge.

One thing I am fairly confident about - The club and those who make the 'decisions' are far from innocent in this whole wretched saga that should have been sorted weeks ago.

Completely agree, especially the last paragraph.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Funnily enough I have always been proud to support the Albion! Guess I'm not an armchair fan like some! Gus did good but all this rhetoric is pathetic. He was leaving if we won the playoffs from what I hear. He did well but also had a lot of faults he is not the martyr as some would like to think! A very good manager but we will survive without him.

My thoughts entirely. Judging by some of the comments on here anyone would think that Gus was the second coming. An average to good manager - that's all.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Thanks Gus for the last 4 years. Thanks for giving us an identity. Thanks for giving us back some pride after the Withdean years. Thanks for being a cool dude in a smart designer suit. Thanks for beating the scum at home in a game so one sided Churchill would have been proud. Thanks for making Bridcutt the focal point of our team and for that Orlandi finish against Newcastle. Thanks. Just thanks.

Yep, thanks Gus.

Long live the king etc..

Managers come and go, hopefully the club will outlast me.

Bye Gus!

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
What a load of crap. Gus didn't give us identity, we had that in spades at Withdean, and before. As for pride, if you have only felt pride in the last 4 years then I pity you.

I sort of agree. I can remember Watson flinging it over to Zamora who nodded it in. But Gus took us to another level and if you cant see that then you are blind

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

strange while I lived in Wales and went out wearing replica shirts most recognised the shirt and came up and spoke about the Albion and their team as well and one who I saw quite a lot a Swansea supporter was quite upset that they did not get Gus when they were looking for a manager and said one of the times I saw him that we/us as Albion supporter should be proud of what he had done to make us a good footballing team and that made me extra proud of my hometown /city team and management.
mind you the Swansea man had a ruck about the money they paid for Leon Knight though

and just because I cannot get to matches does not make me any less proud of my team it never has even when we were really crap wallowing around the lower divisions.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Thanks Gus for the last 4 years. Thanks for giving us an identity. Thanks for giving us back some pride after the Withdean years. Thanks for being a cool dude in a smart designer suit. Thanks for beating the scum at home in a game so one sided Churchill would have been proud. Thanks for making Bridcutt the focal point of our team and for that Orlandi finish against Newcastle. Thanks. Just thanks.

Thanks for walking away when were down to nine men against Burnley.
Thanks for saying you were bored managing a team like this, when they played your game plan.
Thanks for embarrassing your chairman by touting yourself in public for every premiership post going.
Thanks for not motivating your team for midweek games of which the home record this season has been appalling.
Thanks for not managing Ashley Barnes correctly when you should have.
Thanks for allowing me to waste my money going to Bristol, when they were bottom and we needed points and couldn't manage a shot on goal.
Thanks for blaming the chairman for lack funding when we were beaten by Palace.
Thanks for saying that a win over Palace is the same as a win over Birmingham, trouble is we couldn't beat either when it counted.
Thanks for buying Ryan Harley and Stephen Dobbie and both from the same club
Thanks for playing one up front all season.
Thanks for backing Suarez when it had nothing to do with you and the tide of opinion was flowing the other way.
Thanks for not moving from your seat for 60 minutes in the playoffs.
And thanks for being such an idiot, with such a great opportunity and allowing yourself to fall out with the club.
Thanks Gus some on here would think you were the only manager to have got a team out of the first division, although that was great for our club, it was not unique.

I genuinely wish you the best for the future and trust that this can all end amicably, can't see it though.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Pretty much this.

Gus's Albion career is on life support, but the memories are good. Despite the way it is (probably) ending, I couldn't find it in myself to hate him or even boo him should he return with another team.

Gus was and is passionate. He wore his heart on his sleeve and told it like it was. That was probably his downfall. There's lots that we don't know. Hopefully one day the who true story of what went on behind the scenes will emerge.

One thing I am fairly confident about - The club and those who make the 'decisions' are far from innocent in this whole wretched saga that should have been sorted weeks ago.

Nail on the head Pinkie. the whole sorry saga just makes me very sad.

But I suppose we will have a new manager soon and it will all start again

The King is dead..... Long live the king!

The club have lost a little of my respect and trust through this though. Whether they care in another question.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have thought for a while it's might be best for Gus to move on. I don't think we really grasped the opportunity that was in front of us last season to finish in the top two, and we spectacularly bottled the play-offs. Throw in the two-year search for a striker and it's fair to say Gus has some bad points. But I actually feel really sad he's going, now it is a reality. I don't think anyone can deny we've been excellent for most of the last four years. He's the first manager in my 18 years of supporting the Albion that has put a truly class team on the pitch. I don't think I'll ever forget just how incredible we were that day at Charlton. I also like the fact we had a manager with character, who wasn't afraid to say what he really thought. The prospect of replacing him with some faceless **** like Tim Sherwood doesn't bear thinking about. The longer this has gone on the more I think the club have made a horrendous mess, Gus should be our manager in August and I was wrong to be quite so critical of him. I think this will definitely turn out to be a case of better the devil you know.

Well done mate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thank you Gus. Thank you for 4 fantastic years, some phenomenal memories and great football. Thank you for giving us a genuine footballing identity, a style of play that is recognisably "Brighton".

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Completely agree, especially the last paragraph.

Do you know something then Giraffe? Otherwise, you're making a HUGE assumption there.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I, for one, am going to bloody miss Gus Poyet. He had his bad points, but the football he had us playing was beautiful. I walked away after defeats still feeling like I had got my monies worth. Thanks for everything Gus and best of luck when you inevitably move on.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003

Er...no. I've still not forgiven you Gus for your feckless, insensitive, self serving, ego centric babble after the Palace defeat. Say sorry for that and I'm in a place to say thanks.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Thanks for walking away when were down to nine men against Burnley.
Thanks for saying you were bored managing a team like this, when they played your game plan.
Thanks for embarrassing your chairman by touting yourself in public for every premiership post going.
Thanks for not motivating your team for midweek games of which the home record this season has been appalling.
Thanks for not managing Ashley Barnes correctly when you should have.
Thanks for allowing me to waste my money going to Bristol, when they were bottom and we needed points and couldn't manage a shot on goal.
Thanks for blaming the chairman for lack funding when we were beaten by Palace.
Thanks for saying that a win over Palace is the same as a win over Birmingham, trouble is we couldn't beat either when it counted.
Thanks for buying Ryan Harley and Stephen Dobbie and both from the same club
Thanks for playing one up front all season.
Thanks for backing Suarez when it had nothing to do with you and the tide of opinion was flowing the other way.
Thanks for not moving from your seat for 60 minutes in the playoffs.
And thanks for being such an idiot, with such a great opportunity and allowing yourself to fall out with the club.
Thanks Gus some on here would think you were the only manager to have got a team out of the first division, although that was great for our club, it was not unique.

I genuinely wish you the best for the future and trust that this can all end amicably, can't see it though.

Oh dear - morbid drunk were we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here