[Cricket] Test Series- England in India- January & February 2024

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The more cricket I watch the more I think that the act of getting a wicket is like a goal in football where it is a bit of a random event. Duckett batted like a god yesterday and got out today to a shot we would all be embarrassed by. It is a bit like football where eventually a team break a team through a deflection off someone’s backside. You can bowl ten brilliant deliveries then finally get a wicket with a pie.

Similarly to shooting - you can hit a great shot which a fielder pulls off a wonder catch or a goalie can make a great save. Or a goalie can let one bobble under them like a fielder can drop a dolly.

Ashwin made the point yesterday that they just need to keep bowling the ball in the right place and England will get out. It was almost like they didn’t have a plan. Just bowl and England will get out eventually.

I am concerned about root in bazball. Just be our best batsman.

I would love to see Buttler given a chance with bazball.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Sorry one other point. I love bazball but it needs to evolve. This is like lords vs Oz. A couple of wickets down first innings and opposition have lost their best spin bowler. What did we do? Slog and get out. I get it is a shot we play but against Bumrah? Really?

Surely as part of bazball we need to grind oppo down? Our seam bowlers would surely benefit from a day off but they just don’t get one. India won’t feel the loss of ashwin because we give away wickets with overly risky shots.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry one other point. I love bazball but it needs to evolve. This is like lords vs Oz. A couple of wickets down first innings and opposition have lost their best spin bowler. What did we do? Slog and get out. I get it is a shot we play but against Bumrah? Really?

Surely as part of bazball we need to grind oppo down? Our seam bowlers would surely benefit from a day off but they just don’t get one. India won’t feel the loss of ashwin because we give away wickets with overly risky shots.
There is definitely a question of game management and in this game especially. They are a bowler down and we have thrown away two wickets by set batsmen. Should have seen the day out at a minimum

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We have basically thrown away the game in the last hour.

But are you not entertained?

Who cares about winning?

Etc etc

Same in the Ashes, teams know how to play us now, they are not bothered if we score quickly, stupid shots will start and wickets will fall quickly.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
But are you not entertained?

Who cares about winning?

Etc etc

Same in the Ashes, teams know how to play us now, they are not bothered if we score quickly, stupid shots will start and wickets will fall quickly.
Exactly. Gallant losers are still losers.

I could go to the circus to be entertained.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Today could not really have gone any worse could it. Two key batsmen out for the match and down their best spin bowler and we have done this. Staggering really.

Saw this stat

The ninth time in 13 games that Root had been out to a reverse sweep. At what point do you realise you just can’t play the shot and leave it? Was it Strauss or Cook who said they realised they only had three scoring strokes and so those were the only three they used?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Today could not really have gone any worse could it. Two key batsmen out for the match and down their best spin bowler and we have done this. Staggering really.

Saw this stat

The ninth time in 13 games that Root had been out to a reverse sweep. At what point do you realise you just can’t play the shot and leave it? Was it Strauss or Cook who said they realised they only had three scoring strokes and so those were the only three they used?
What I don't understand is how that shot is employed when a safer orthodox sweep is the best run scoring option. Especially as fielders are often set for a top edge.

Root is one of the best sweepers around and doesn't need that shot (Sri Lanka 2021 e.g)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
People of my age and who have followed cricket for a while might be interested to know that Mike Proctor has passed at the age of 77

An exert from an article on the bbc website

Mike was a fantastic player and quite rightly regarded as one of the best all-rounders that has ever represented Gloucestershire," former team-mate David Graveney said.

"I don't think people realise that when Mike played he was playing through great pain in his knee, but that didn't stop him from performing at the level he did.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
People of my age and who have followed cricket for a while might be interested to know that Mike Proctor has passed at the age of 77

An exert from an article on the bbc website

Mike was a fantastic player and quite rightly regarded as one of the best all-rounders that has ever represented Gloucestershire," former team-mate David Graveney said.

"I don't think people realise that when Mike played he was playing through great pain in his knee, but that didn't stop him from performing at the level he did.
He was only just before my time, although I have watched loads of him in YouTube. I had an unusual bowling action which folk said was like his.

Imagine if South Africa had been playing in the mid-70s. They would have had one hell of a side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports