Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Test Series- England in India- January & February 2024

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ultimately the difference proved to be the double-ton and the sensational Bumrah bowling spell in the first innings of each team. I'm not at all unhappy at England's performance despite losing. Both batting and bowling was positive but controlled and far from sloppy all the way through. Sometimes you just have to accept when you're beaten by a better team.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ultimately the difference proved to be the double-ton and the sensational Bumrah bowling spell in the first innings of each team. I'm not at all unhappy at England's performance despite losing. Both batting and bowling was positive but controlled and far from sloppy all the way through. Sometimes you just have to accept when you're beaten by a better team.
Yes, I thought England played well enough.

I do think that Bumrah is showing that there is a place for bowlers other than spinners. As did Jimmy. I would like to see Robinson in the line up. I know some suggest Wood, but he can only bowl short spells and I think Robbo will take wickets on any surface.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Here's hoping. I just feel like I've been here before. (Sorry, cynical).
And I'm here again.

Not a bad effort in the end, and certainly not cause for disaster or panic or any soul searching. A decent series so far.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Agreed, Root's form has disappeared down the toilet. The occasional good innings doesn't make up for so many fails so something has to change to get his form/confidence back.
Bit harsh mate. Joe Root averaged in the 70s last year and passed fifty or a hundred in more than half of those innings.

Just had a poor first couple of Tests. Happens. His average generally holds up in India.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Agreed, Root's form has disappeared down the toilet. The occasional good innings doesn't make up for so many fails so something has to change to get his form/confidence back.
I do tend to agree with that. I looked at the batting line up and thought who do I fancy to get runs here and Root was not one of them. I may be harsh in saying that and I hope he proves me wrong, but I don’t see him getting a match winning/saving big score in India whereas come a sunny day against Sri Lanka in the summer and he’ll fill his boots.

I know that’s harsh, but I say again I really hope he proves me wrong.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Confirmed today, Kohli not participating in this series

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is Harry Brook out for the series?
I think we're working on that assumption. Unspecified personal reasons.

He's a massive loss.

England only Brook, a fit all rounder and an opening partner for Crawley away from being a very decent side in my view

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

He's a massive loss.

England only Brook, a fit all rounder and an opening partner for Crawley away from being a very decent side in my view
Who do we have to replace Jimmy, assuming we are saying Broad’s loss has already been covered?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
England: 1 Zak Crawley, 2 Ben Duckett, 3 Ollie Pope, 4 Joe Root, 5 Jonny Bairstow, 6 Ben Stokes (capt), 7 Ben Foakes (wk), 8 Rehan Ahmed, 9 Tom Hartley, 10 Mark Wood, 11 James Anderson

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well, I have just tuned in. It seems we had India at 30 odd for 3, but Rohit and Jadeja have since put on 160.

Approaching 200-3 on a pitch that offers something to the bowlers.

I don’t have a good feeling about this one.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

He's a massive loss.

What's wrong with Ben Duckett? He averages over 40(almost ten more than Crawley) with half his tests being against Australia or India

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, I have just tuned in. It seems we had India at 30 odd for 3, but Rohit and Jadeja have since put on 160.

Approaching 200-3 on a pitch that offers something to the bowlers.

I don’t have a good feeling about this one.
Pitch should mean a nailed on draw, but we don’t play for draws any more 😬😬

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What's wrong with Ben Duckett? He averages over 40(almost ten more than Crawley) with half his tests being against Australia or India
You're right.

He's a decent, but not more than that, opener. Decent is easily enough compared to many others from recent history.

I guess there's a part of me that wants someone to weigh anchor and protect the middle order from the new ball. But I guess that's Bazball I'm railing against, not Duckett

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looks like we missed a wicket there.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Looks like we missed a wicket there.
Straight away I called it, half hearted appeal. It was plumb.

For a country that cricket is a passion the crowds this series are shocking.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Straight away I called it, half hearted appeal. It was plumb.

For a country that cricket is a passion the crowds this series are shocking.
I didn't pick it up at all. Surprised they didn't make more of it though. I guess they just accepted the bat first call.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
India 445 all out (130.5 overs, RR3.40)

Sharma 131, Jadeja 112, Mark Wood 4-114

England 53-0 (8.4 overs, RR6.11), Duckett 41*, Crawley 7*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here