Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Test Series- England in India- January & February 2024

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
And sometimes two can bring 3 quite quickly.

Hell of a delivery. The swing bowling in this match has made our selection of spin attack look a bit silly.
That might be the most England response to a wicket I've ever read.

Lose a couple of wickets to a world class fast bowler - clearly we should have picked another swing bowler.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It´s ironic that England were so worried about India´s spin bowlers.

Have England batters joined a union?

One out all out!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Bumrah's run up reminds me of a stoat mesmerising prey when hunting

It's all weird and twitchy, almost looks playful ... and the next thing you know, zip ... game over.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Bumrah's run up reminds me of a stoat mesmerising prey when hunting

It's all weird and twitchy, almost looks playful ... and the next thing you know, zip ... game over.
Bumrah:
Mustela_erminea_upright.jpg

A stoat:
1000019814.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Crawley showing why you should not just slog because one can bring two. It was such a poor shot. I am not having the excuse of “way he plays” because you can be aggressive without dumb slogs.
Top scorer in the innings

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Sydney Barnes is the only bowler to have more wickets at a better average than Bumrah.

(Barnes' last test was 110 years ago)

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Top scorer in the innings
Yep. But that does not mean it is okay to slog like he did. He should have carried on his merry way. As soon as he was out they brought back bumrah to root who bowled an inspired spell. When you have the oppo down and looking completely bedraggled you don’t do something silly.

Obviously not all on him but hopefully he will reflect on it.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yep. But that does not mean it is okay to slog like he did. He should have carried on his merry way. As soon as he was out they brought back bumrah to root who bowled an inspired spell. When you have the oppo down and looking completely bedraggled you don’t do something silly.

Obviously not all on him but hopefully he will reflect on it.
I don't think it's fair to describe it as a slog, he's pretty much tried to repeat the shot he played to the previous ball (which went for four), but not recognised the ball is slightly wider and shorter.

There's a clear error in execution but nobody in the dressing room will be criticising what he tried to do, and nor should they.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I don't think it's fair to describe it as a slog, he's pretty much tried to repeat the shot he played to the previous ball (which went for four), but not recognised the ball is slightly wider and shorter.

There's a clear error in execution but nobody in the dressing room will be criticising what he tried to do, and nor should they.
He was trying to go straighter and it was against the spin so a bit ridiculous. They won’t criticise. I just hope he learns there is a line between being dominant and being reckless. He looked a million dollars until then.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That might be the most England response to a wicket I've ever read.

Lose a couple of wickets to a world class fast bowler - clearly we should have picked another swing bowler.
Just been catching up on things. It did occur to me that this may be the weakest attack I've seen England take abroad for some time- regardless of its make up.

I stand to be corrected, but I still think the first Test was just a wonderful oasis in what I think will be a difficult tour otherwise.

England are playing an almost all spin line up for their well researched reasons, but I wonder that including Robinson and playing two spinners (Leach being one), + Joe Root, may add a bit more balance. There is a lot of inexperience there.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Just been catching up on things. It did occur to me that this may be the weakest attack I've seen England take abroad for some time- regardless of its make up.

I stand to be corrected, but I still think the first Test was just a wonderful oasis in what I think will be a difficult tour otherwise.

England are playing an almost all spin line up for their well researched reasons, but I wonder that including Robinson and playing two spinners (Leach being one), + Joe Root, may add a bit more balance. There is a lot of inexperience there.
Remember the bowling attack we took to New Zealand in 2019? Flat pitches maybe, and some of the names look good on paper, but I reckon New Zealand could still be batting now.

Or the 2017/18 Ashes. Anderson took 17 wickets at 27.8. Next best average was Craig Overton with 6 wickets at 37.6. Broad took his 11 wickets at 47.7.

Anyway, at the start of the match I'd have picked Robinson over Ahmed for the greater control. Actually I'd have picked Wood for the extra pace, but that's neither here nor there. As it turns out Ahmed took 3 wickets and a catch at point, so there's a fair chance picking the extra seamer would have put us in a worse position.

I'd have had a similar balance (i.e. Anderson and a seamer plus leach and another spinner) before the first match, and with hindsight picking that team would almost certainly have lost the game, because I wouldn't have picked Hartley over Leach and I wouldn't have picked both of them.

India's innings was dominated by a fantastic knock by a lad who's almost certainly one of the great talents of his generation, and then our innings has been scuppered by a bowler who is definitely one of the great talents of his generation (of all time for that matter). Obviously there's a chance Jaiswal might have nicked off early if we'd picked Robinson, but it's just as possible he'd have beaten the edge a few times like Anderson without getting the reward. These things happen.

Even I appreciate this argument isn't very exciting. :lolol: But at least the cricket is good and watchable.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not this series but couldn’t not share it

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What do folk think about cricket commentary these days ? I'm referring to TV.

I loved Richie Benaud and Pete West, but being a stats buff I do prefer the more modern hands on style and analysis.

There are one or two commentators who do irritate me a bit because they spend so much time trying to be funny. But most are a worthy listen. For me, the best is Mark Taylor. I like to think that I am a bat and ball authority, which may be true in part, although not as much as I convince myself, but I do feel I actually learned some new things last summer from him.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sometimes in an English summer you get a half hour with Mike Atherton and Kumar Sangakkara together, which is just lovely

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Morning All. Was hoping we'd be batting by the time I got up but unfortunately not. India 171 for 4 in their second Innings, a lead of 314. We shall need another miracle.....

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
399 to win. Doable? In the past, for a 4th innings in India, I'd say no way, but cricket's different these days!
I don't think they will do it. Defeat by 150 runs. But I look forward to the prospect of being utterly wrong.

It's occurred to me what a splendid sporting month this is. England in India and the Six Nations.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I don't think they will do it. Defeat by 150 runs. But I look forward to the prospect of being utterly wrong.

It's occurred to me what a splendid sporting month this is. England in India and the Six Nations.
I think you're likely to be right. I knew it was tough but hadn't realised that no team has ever scored 300 in a 4th innings in India, so 399 would be some win!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here