Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Test Series- England in India- January & February 2024

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I actually thought it was more likely Hutton !

This is very left field, and I wasn't going to include him, but with that clue I'll go with Frank Woolley
Don't think Hutton would have batted at 3 often enough.

Ah Frank Woolley, what a guy. Not the answer, but what a guy. Just had to check how his batting record broke down, he did bat at 3 more often than anywhere else but as he seems to have been the Moeen Ali of his day than isn't saying much. I've read an interview from his last season or two where he's really excited about finally being given the chance to open regularly for Kent, right at the end of a 32 year long first class career.

I'll pop back during my lunch break with the right answer on the off chance anybody else wants a go.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Having said that, I guess I should repost the question:
So, fun quiz from the Wisden podcast I was just listening to:
Ollie Pope currently averages 49.34 at 3 for England (and has scored 1283 runs in that position). 6 players have scored over 1000 runs at 3 for England and averaged more than that, who are they?
Edit: to be clear, this refers specifically to the batter's average when batting at 3.
Having already had (with average at 3):
Barrington - 77.2
Hammond - 74.7
Dexter - 51.8
*The Mystery Man*
Graveney - 49.4
Gower - 49.4

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Barrington - 77.2
Hammond - 74.7
Dexter - 51.8
*The Mystery Man*
Graveney - 49.4
Gower - 49.4
Bill Edrich is the last person I can think of really. I shall have to concede otherwise

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Barrington - 77.2
Hammond - 74.7
Dexter - 51.8
*The Mystery Man*
Graveney - 49.4
Gower - 49.4

did Gooch or Stewart have a productive season or 2 batting at 3?

Edit, just seen their last game was early 90s so Gooch?

Edit again, just checked. Played a few games there, got 210 and a 50 @ 3 but not 1,000 runs and average of 44. So not Gooch.

Last edited:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

Barrington - 77.2
Hammond - 74.7
Dexter - 51.8
*The Mystery Man*
Graveney - 49.4
Gower - 49.4
I haven’t read the whole thread so apologies if already offered, but what about David Steele?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
did Gooch or Stewart have a productive season or 2 batting at 3?

Edit, just seen their last game was early 90s so Gooch?

Edit again, just checked. Played a few games there, got 210 and a 50 @ 3 but not 1,000 runs and average of 44. So not Gooch.
Ah, possibly sold a dummy in reading back through the thread - the early 90s referred to the 6 players as a whole - so Gower specifically.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good record at 3, particularly given the opposition he played against, but not "over 1000runs at 50" good.
605 at 46, in case you were wondering.
A lot of which would have come against Lille and Thomson in the '75 series. He always looked about 20 years older than he was.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
A lot of which would have come against Lille and Thomson in the '75 series. He always looked about 20 years older than he was.
And then against the prime Windies ‘we‘ll make them grovel’ attack in 1976 where he was one of the few, not forgetting the double ton from Dennis Amiss, that did well.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Don't forget the next Test starts tomorrow folks. It's all downhill from here :ROFLMAO:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
And then against the prime Windies ‘we‘ll make them grovel’ attack in 1976 where he was one of the few, not forgetting the double ton from Dennis Amiss, that did well.
It was just before my time. Holding to Close is like a horror show. Usual comments 'when men were men' online. More like 'when men were stupid'.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
It was just before my time. Holding to Close is like a horror show. Usual comments 'when men were men' online. More like 'when men were stupid'.
Yes, those shots of Brian Close in his 40s getting peppered by Holding et al with minimal protection and certainly no helmet = frightening, dangerous, brave, stupid, all of the above!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not at all, shall be marching on triumphantly :D

So what do we reckon, Anderson for Leach seems a given, plus maybe Robinson for Wood although I would hope Wood still has a lot in the tank after not bowling much in Hyderabad.
I'd like to see Robinson included. He is a bowler for all surfaces.

Five years ago I said he was England's McGrath. Folk scorned. 76 wickets at 22, and folk still scorn.

250 wickets at 22 and they still probably won't have it. That's kiss-me-quick cricket for you. He's too dull.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Happy Underarm Day everyone

Did I ever mention that I once spent half an hour an hour bowling at Trevor Chappell in the Sussex nets when I was 14 ? I probably did. I normally mention it every couple of weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here