Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Test Series- England in India- January & February 2024

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Literally coming back from 200 runs or more, yes people have done that.
As was (repeatedly, to the point that it became mildly irritating) mentioned in the coverage, the previous largest lead overturned in India by a visiting team was 65 runs.
Of the occasions when teams have won test matches after following on, the first time when England managed it in 1894 was the only occasion an away team has done it.
As it happens, the aforementioned Bobby Peel won that match with 6/67 in the last innings after going on a massive bender the night before, only to arrive at the ground and find that overnight rain had made the pitch ideal for him (and after being shoved under a cold shower to sober him up a bit).
I did not expect to be able to make that connection when I wrote the previous post
There was, of course, one famous match when England won after a 200 first innings deficit. Centurion in 2000. The one where Hanse generously offered to make a game of it.... :ROFLMAO:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
There was, of course, one famous match when England won after a 200 first innings deficit. Centurion in 2000. The one where Hanse generously offered to make a game of it.... :ROFLMAO:
So, fun quiz from the Wisden podcast I was just listening to:
Ollie Pope currently averages 49.34 at 3 for England (and has scored 1283 runs in that position). 6 players have scored over 1000 runs at 3 for England and averaged more than that, who are they?
Edit: to be clear, this refers specifically to the batter's average when batting at 3.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ollie Pope currently averages 49.34 at 3 for England (and has scored 1283 runs in that position). 6 players have scored over 1000 runs at 3 for England and averaged more than that, who are they?
Edit: to be clear, this refers specifically to the batter's average when batting at 3.
First thought is Joe Root?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What eras do they come from ?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Oh I've clearly misread the question, I thought the earlier was 90s and the latest 2020s.

Idiot.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Barrington's top, followed by Hammond (both averaged in the 70s at 3).
Gower's just above Pope at 49.somethingorother.

The other three were between late 1930s and late 1960s.
I'm wondering that Colin Cowdrey could be in there then.

I'll also go with Sutcliffe as well. But beyond that I'm not sure. Compton maybe. I thought he batted 4.

Actually, Sutcliffe was an opener.

Just thought of one close to home. Ted Dexter.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I'm wondering that Colin Cowdrey could be in there then.

I'll also go with Sutcliffe as well. But beyond that I'm not sure. Compton maybe. I thought he batted 4.

Actually, Sutcliffe was an opener.

Just thought of one close to home. Ted Dexter.
Dexter's one of them. Unfortunately taking him out he doesn't narrow the timeframe down at all. :lolol:

If you want a clue, well if you don't want one don't look down.

You're not far off with Compton.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Dexter's one of them. Unfortunately taking him out he doesn't narrow the timeframe down at all. :lolol:

If you want a clue, well if you don't want one don't look down.

You're not far off with Compton.
I'll make two final guesses then.

Tom Graveney

and.... (goes through the alphabet) Len Hutton.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Graveney's one of them.
He's the one I didn't get.

The other one's late 30s to mid 50s. And the one the Compton clue applies to.
He also opened the bowling for England.
I actually thought it was more likely Hutton !

This is very left field, and I wasn't going to include him, but with that clue I'll go with Frank Woolley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here