[Cricket] Test Series- England in India- January & February 2024

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So before the match started?
To be fair I haven't given England a hope in hell at any point between finding out this series was happening and close of play yesterday.
No, a few days ago, as in days one and two (and the day before, actually). People - on here and elsewhere - were already complaining about the selection and then bemoaning the battling in the first innings.

I've seen enough cricket - and sport in general - to know that anything can happen.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If I have one criticism of Hartley (which I guess I clearly do), he really should tuck his shirt in.
:lolol: I must be getting on because I thought that in the first innings. 'At least look like you haven't come off the village square...'

As for Hartley, I'm not much drawn to him at the moment as a permanent spin option. And one innings doesn't change that. I have seen Shaoaib Bashir bowl and I am looking forward to see how he gets on with turning pitches. His first class record is poor, but I can see what the England team are thinking.

At this stage, and we never know, I don't think our attack is strong enough to win a series in India. England stormed the first Test last time and surrendered meekly afterwards. The thing I'm most happy about is that this match shows how great Test cricket is. So today I've been glowing about it for hours.

I'm waiting for @Change at Barnham pictures to arrive.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:lolol: I must be getting on because I thought that in the first innings. 'At least look like you haven't come off the village square...'

As for Hartley, I'm not much drawn to him at the moment as a permanent spin option. And one innings doesn't change that. I have seen Shaoaib Bashir bowl and I am looking forward to see how he gets on with turning pitches. His first class record is poor, but I can see what the England team are thinking.

At this stage, and we never know, I don't think our attack is strong enough to win a series in India. England stormed the first Test last time and surrendered meekly afterwards. The thing I'm most happy about is that this match shows how great Test cricket is. So today I've been glowing about it for hours.
I didn’t think it was strong enough to bowl India out today…….

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am a Somerset fan and I could not believe a bashir was picked. He can bat too. I can’t see leach being fit so I suspect like for like. Maybe a seamer for Ahmed as he looks poor. Two pies an over.

I still can’t believe we won. Just incredible.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I didn’t think it was strong enough to bowl India out today…….
I didn't either, although I did wonder if India might self destruct- and they did.

That's why I'm just happy to see an England win. I'm not confident they will continue it. But if they do it would be a splendid bonus. My glass is half full, which is better than the empty it was at the start of the series.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I didn't either, although I did wonder if India might self destruct- and they did.

That's why I'm just happy to see an England win. I'm not confident they will continue it. But if they do it would be a splendid bonus. My glass if half full, which is better than the empty it was at the start of the series.
Exactly that……already massively overachieved, whatever happens now. Fantastic day for test cricket

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I am a Somerset fan and I could not believe a bashir was picked. He can bat too. I can’t see leach being fit so I suspect like for like. Maybe a seamer for Ahmed as he looks poor. Two pies an over.

I still can’t believe we won. Just incredible.
Bumrah was getting reverse swing, so there could be an argument. I guess they'll have to wait and take a look. Not long either.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
No, a few days ago, as in days one and two (and the day before, actually). People - on here and elsewhere - were already complaining about the selection and then bemoaning the battling in the first innings.

I've seen enough cricket - and sport in general - to know that anything can happen.
Most things can happen in sport.
England winning this test from 190 down on first innings isn't one of them. Nobody's ever done that. Nobody's come close to doing that.
I think I made some arguments in favour of the team as selected at the start of the match. To be honest, I got rapidly distracted by slagging off Liam Dawson and sort of lost track of what argument I was trying to make. But it's not like I'd have picked this XI either so I don't see any reason to criticise people for stating their opinion. It was an insane selection regardless of how justifiable it might have been or how things turned out.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

I'm waiting for @Change at Barnham pictures to arrive.
I read somewhere (and for the life of me I can't remember where) a summation of the line of great Yorkshire left arm spinners, that went something like "Wardle was never as good as Verity, Verity never lived up to Rhodes, Rhodes never came close to Peel".
He might repeat his performance in that innings, but if he's got the balls to come back from the first day like he did then he'll do for me. It's mostly in the mind cricket. Or failing that, huge amounts of alcohol in Bobby Peel's case.

As far as the brilliance of test cricket's concerned, I've got a subscription to Australian cricket/comedy writer Dan Liebke at the moment, and I greatly enjoyed his description of England's win as "one of the greatest test victories of the last few hours". Well done the West Indies :clap2::bowdown::clap2:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
England winning this test from 190 down on first innings isn't one of them. Nobody's ever done that. Nobody's come close to doing that.
I think I made some arguments in favour of the team as selected at the start of the match. To be honest, I got rapidly distracted by slagging off Liam Dawson and sort of lost track of what argument I was trying to make. But it's not like I'd have picked this XI either so I don't see any reason to criticise people for stating their opinion. It was an insane selection regardless of how justifiable it might have been or how things turned out.
I can think of three occasions, the most recent being New Zealand against us last year.

But in cases where a team hasn't followed on, I can't think of any. Although England came very close at Durban in 2004. I remember tuning in on the Tuesday, having had a long sleep after an equally longer night out, to find England 200 odd without loss.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I just saw this in regards to the Brisbane Test. Seeing Brian Lara and Carl Hooper emotional at West Indies winning again in a Test Match in Australia puts it into context.....

That was really good news. To me a strong Windies is strong international cricket. Of course, it may just be a blip. But we live in hope.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I can think of three occasions, the most recent being New Zealand against us last year.

But in cases where a team hasn't followed on, I can't think of any. Although England came very close at Durban in 2004. I remember tuning in on the Tuesday, having had a long sleep after an equally longer night out, to find England 200 odd without loss.
Literally coming back from 200 runs or more, yes people have done that.
As was (repeatedly, to the point that it became mildly irritating) mentioned in the coverage, the previous largest lead overturned in India by a visiting team was 65 runs.
Of the occasions when teams have won test matches after following on, the first time when England managed it in 1894 was the only occasion an away team has done it.
As it happens, the aforementioned Bobby Peel won that match with 6/67 in the last innings after going on a massive bender the night before, only to arrive at the ground and find that overnight rain had made the pitch ideal for him (and after being shoved under a cold shower to sober him up a bit).
I did not expect to be able to make that connection when I wrote the previous post. :lolol:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Literally coming back from 200 runs or more, yes people have done that.
As was (repeatedly, to the point that it became mildly irritating) mentioned in the coverage, the previous largest lead overturned in India by a visiting team was 65 runs.
Of the occasions when teams have won test matches after following on, the first time when England managed it in 1894 was the only occasion an away team has done it.
As it happens, the aforementioned Bobby Peel won that match with 6/67 in the last innings after going on a massive bender the night before, only to arrive at the ground and find that overnight rain had made the pitch ideal for him (and after being shoved under a cold shower to sober him up a bit).
I did not expect to be able to make that connection when I wrote the previous post. :lolol:
I remember the Indian victory after following on against the Australians in 2001. Folk said the Aussies started the trend of not enforcing it, rather forgetting why that was :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That's fine. I'm not criticising anyone, just making a point in response the that tweet!

Although I'm not sure you can call it an 'insane' selection when England won the game :shrug:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Big chance to win this series

Ravindra Jadeja and KL Rahul have been ruled out of the second Test against England starting on February 2 in Visakhapatnam.

Jadeja suffered a hamstring injury on the fourth day of the first Test in Hyderabad, while Rahul complained of pain in his right quadriceps, the BCCI said in a statement. Middle-order batter Sarfaraz Khan, left-arm spinner Saurabh Kumar and allrounder Washington Sundar have been added to India's squad.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Big chance to win this series

The replacements look quite inetresting, to be fair..

Uncapped Sarfaraz, 26, is a middle-order batter with a first-class batting average of 69.85, the fourth-highest of all-time.

Kumar is a 30-year-old left-arm spinner, with almost 300 wickets in first-class cricket.

Left-arm wrist-spinner Kuldeep Yadav now seems set to play in Visakhapatnam, while uncapped batter Rajat Patidar, who scored two centuries in two matches against England Lions earlier this month, was already in the squad and could come in for Rahul.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports