[Cricket] Test Series- England in India- January & February 2024

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Dawson's omission is a disgrace, on many levels - that he's BETTER than those we've taken, chief amongst them.

He's also a very tidy batter, which would help.

But more generally, by not selecting the player who has massively outperformed all his (English) peers in the County Championship, sends out a really SHIT message to every cricketer in the country outside the existing bubble.
Wasn't Dawson ambivalent, at best, about going on this tour instead of whichever T20 tournament he's at?
I'd also struggle to think of a single problem with this England team that would be fixed by putting him in it instead of anybody else.
Also, full disclosure, I have a largely irrational dislike of him.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Ben Duckett reckons England are in a strong position

I reckon he's talking out of his arse
Duckett's comments remind me of when Solly would be regularly rolled out to be interviewed for the Argus and he always put a positive on every game we had played regardless of the result (which at the time were normally losses).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Going entirely on the evidence of my eyes and (probably fading) memory, Tufnell was very much better than Leach, and the other two were comparable.

Leach has repeatedly bowled in tandem with Joe Root, and looked the less threatening of the two.
Giles was far too defensive, especially after he started bowling over the wicket outside the leg stump in an attempt to bore Tendulkar out.
Panesar was fine if he was feeling good, but his confidence was a bit fragile.
Tufnell was good, but again a bit fragile and could be hit out of an attack.
Swann was excellent until the Australians destroyed him in his final series. Probably the best in the last 20 years.

They were all better than Leech who is a good county spinner.
Root can bowl, but is a Test class spinner in the same class as Mike Yardy
The other two have barely played at all

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Going entirely on the evidence of my eyes and (probably fading) memory, Tufnell was very much better than Leach, and the other two were comparable.

Leach has repeatedly bowled in tandem with Joe Root, and looked the less threatening of the two.
That’s my take as well. Tufnell was a very good bowler but played at a time when selection and captaincy was very poor. I think Leech and Giles are quite comparable - both arguably a bit underrated. Swann was a mile ahead of all imo.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

Tuffers we all remember through rose tinted glasses because of a couple of amazing performances at the oval when a series was dead. He spent much more time getting little.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Leach has control, can bowl long spells, and tie down an end. This allows the quicks to bowl in shorter bursts. He's not a devastating spinner (Root gets more turn) and there's no flair like Tufnell, but he's a competent spinner that takes (some) wickets.
That said, I've no idea what England are up to on this tour. Nor do I know anything about Dawson.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wasn't Dawson ambivalent, at best, about going on this tour instead of whichever T20 tournament he's at?
I'd also struggle to think of a single problem with this England team that would be fixed by putting him in it instead of anybody else.
Also, full disclosure, I have a largely irrational dislike of him.
I’ve seen nothing to suggest that he was (ambivalent) apart from Rob Key seemingly deciding for him that he ‘wouldn’t want to travel round India not playing’.

For equally full disclosure, I’ve played 5-a-side football against him a few times, and he seems perfectly alright.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Stokes keepers Hartley going while India take easy runs. Leach and Root have been far more threatening and economical. I get he wants to build his confidence but now is the time for best bowlers.

Whereas root has bowled well. Got a wicket. A drop from foakes (given as byes) and stokes missed a skier.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Stokes keepers Hartley going while India take easy runs. Leach and Root have been far more threatening and economical. I get he wants to build his confidence but now is the time for best bowlers.

Whereas root has bowled well. Got a wicket. A drop from foakes (given as byes) and stokes missed a skier.
I’ve seen nothing to dissuade me from my view that Root is our best spinner. I have no idea why he doesn’t bowl more

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I’ve seen nothing to suggest that he was (ambivalent) apart from Rob Key seemingly deciding for him that he ‘wouldn’t want to travel round India not playing’.

For equally full disclosure, I’ve played 5-a-side football against him a few times, and he seems perfectly alright.
If the quotes in this article from the start of October come close to reflecting his actual opinion, then I can see why England might have been reluctant to pick him.

I should be clear that my objection to Dawson is entirely as a cricketer rather than as a person. Having had the chance to see a bit of Hartley bowling this morning I can see how somebody could convince themselves that he's more likely to take wickets in India than Dawson, even if Dawson would probably take slightly longer to get milked all around the ground on his way to taking 2/120.

Incidentally, since you've met him, does the 5'8" that cricinfo states for Dawson's height sound about right? I don't have much faith in their numbers for player's heights at the best of times but that does seem on the short side for a bowler.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Also, TNT sport's production (basically the bits between sessions) is probably the most insulting threadbare I can remember seeing on any sport I've actually paid any attention to.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I’ve seen nothing to dissuade me from my view that Root is our best spinner. I have no idea why he doesn’t bowl more
I would suggest that an average of about 45 when leach averages what 34? Is a clue. Root is decent and turns the ball but he bowls. Pie most overs. As he just did again.

I think that leach might be poorly again as he has hardly bowled and doesn’t look right. The career he has had given his ailments is impressive. Hope he is alright - first time he has played a match for about 8 months isn’t it? Leach is the only bowler offering any control going at 2.6 while no one else below 4.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It might look like we're being spanked here, but I think you'll find that actually England are "in a strong position", so nobody panic.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
At least Oz are in trouble vs West Indies. 55/5 when wi made over 300. It is inevitable Oz will make at least 200 then skittle West Indies but it is fun for now.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If the quotes in this article from the start of October come close to reflecting his actual opinion, then I can see why England might have been reluctant to pick him.

I should be clear that my objection to Dawson is entirely as a cricketer rather than as a person. Having had the chance to see a bit of Hartley bowling this morning I can see how somebody could convince themselves that he's more likely to take wickets in India than Dawson, even if Dawson would probably take slightly longer to get milked all around the ground on his way to taking 2/120.

Incidentally, since you've met him, does the 5'8" that cricinfo states for Dawson's height sound about right? I don't have much faith in their numbers for player's heights at the best of times but that does seem on the short side for a bowler.
I'm not sure there's anything in the interview to criticise Dawson about, more the national coaches and leadership not bothering to keep in contact. Maybe Dawson doesn't play golf, that seems to be where most team selection and managerial stuff is resolved nowadays

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports