Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Blimey, I thought that was out.

Morning everyone

(In Richie voice)

Lovely to be here and see some Test cricket today (In Aussie accent with extended inflections)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Crazy. I don't understand how we're so poorly prepared, especially after those warm up games we played.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hard to argue with JJ, on the BBC live text:

I'm sorry to say England getting what they deserve. No warm-up games and sheer arrogance with selection. 3 blokes in this side haven’t played in six months, but it’s fine we will beat them with attacking prowess. In a country that haven’t lost a series in a decade. Serious questions need asking but of course it’s jobs for the boys.
JJ, London

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
India 119/1 at stumps, chasing 246.

Men against boys (except that their lad who just took England apart, is a nipper, innit).

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I was quote looking forward to this test series, but then the fixtures for The Hundred were announced and I just can't wait for it to start now.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
That went well...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Tom Hartley looks like the modern Simon Kerrigan

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
On the first days play, it looks like a possible series whitewash. More likely than an England series win.

Jul 7, 2003
Woke up a bit early this morning to check the score and listen to a bit of commentary....only to find 5Live Sports Extra has West Indies v Australia and NO TMS ? What a joke... Then I find I have to put up with Talkshite including Darren Gough...then looking at the score it seems the BBC may have played a blinder by not buying the commentary rights.

Have the BBC given up on the ridiculous disaster that is Cricket Social too ?
Sadly TalkSport outbid the BBC for the radio coverage in the same way that TNT outbid Sky for the TV coverage. Not sure about the Social as never listened to that.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Sadly TalkSport outbid the BBC for the radio coverage in the same way that TNT outbid Sky for the TV coverage. Not sure about the Social as never listened to that.
Was annoyed about that myself when I put Sky on this morning only to find no cricket. However it might actually be a blessing not having to watch us get humiliated.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I think the batting total is reasonable. The problem is our 3 spinners include an 18 year old who’s played 13 first class matches, and a left armer who’s played 20 first class matches (with an average in the high 30s). Our ‘senior’ spinner is no Graeme Swann either. I’m still confused why Dawson wasn’t picked, but otherwise the main issue is that the spinning cupboard is bare…

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think the number of runs scored by each side could have a real bearing on the outcome of this match.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm really alarmed that Simon Kerrigan played long enough ago that he doesn't count as modern.
Booo.
Rehan Ahmed had only recently celebrated his 9th birthday when Simon Kerrigan began his fateful week at the Oval

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dawson's omission is a disgrace, on many levels - that he's BETTER than those we've taken, chief amongst them.

He's also a very tidy batter, which would help.

But more generally, by not selecting the player who has massively outperformed all his (English) peers in the County Championship, sends out a really SHIT message to every cricketer in the country outside the existing bubble.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Rehan Ahmed had only recently celebrated his 9th birthday when Simon Kerrigan began his fateful week at the Oval
For some very bizarre reasons involving a mate’s connection to Michael Vaughan (it also involves Crystal Palace), I watched the session when Kerrigan bowled for the first time at the back of in the TMS commentary box at The Oval. We’d spoken to MV before the session and he’d bemoaned the fact that the ‘spinning cupboard is bare’ and said he didn’t hold much hope for Kerrigan. He certainly called that one right.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I think the batting total is reasonable. The problem is our 3 spinners include an 18 year old who’s played 13 first class matches, and a left armer who’s played 20 first class matches (with an average in the high 30s). Our ‘senior’ spinner is no Graeme Swann either. I’m still confused why Dawson wasn’t picked, but otherwise the main issue is that the spinning cupboard is bare…
Leach’s bowling average is only 4 worse than Swann who is our best spin bowler I can remember (I am 44). I can’t think of anyone else better than leach. Tuffers? Monty? Giles? None are close.

I agree on the other points.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leach’s bowling average is only 4 worse than Swann who is our best spin bowler I can remember (I am 44). I can’t think of anyone else better than leach. Tuffers? Monty? Giles? None are close.

I agree on the other points.
Going entirely on the evidence of my eyes and (probably fading) memory, Tufnell was very much better than Leach, and the other two were comparable.

Leach has repeatedly bowled in tandem with Joe Root, and looked the less threatening of the two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports