Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tesco report losses of £6.37Bn

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That's pretty awful. So much for David Cameron's buoyant economy if a big company can lose billions in a year. ???

Top end stuff like Waitrose is booming though, they seem to be one of the few chains opening new stores at the moment other than the discounters, Lidl and Aldi. Looks like a good example of the way society now works, polarisation between the rich and the poor ( Waitrose/Lidl Aldi ) and a huge bunfight in the middle ground beween the mid range retailers fighting like dogs over a dwindling market.

Remember, " we are all in this together " said David Cameron a few years back, but, when he retires (in 5 years time max, his words ) don't expect to bump in to him in the checkout queue at Lidl.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
That's pretty awful. So much for David Cameron's buoyant economy if a big company can lose billions in a year. ???

Are you serious?

What has Cameron got to do with a private company which under went write downs and asset re-evaluations..

Oh and to include skinnier margins when the likes of Aldi and Lidl provide the public cheaper alternatives which has done well to keep cost of living down..

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Are you serious?

What has Cameron got to do with a private company which under went write downs and asset re-evaluations..

Oh and to include skinnier margins when the likes of Aldi and Lidl provide the public cheaper alternatives which has done well to keep cost of living down..

Classic. Reading that and looking at your Photo.

For once no. I used to do shifts in the Tesco bakery. I got bored one day, as I was working on doughnuts for six hours, and instead of injecting them with one portion of jam, I put FOUR portions into each doughnut, and there were a few thousand of them produced each shift.

They all went out on the morning wagons to the different branches, and over the course of the next 24-48 hours, loads of complaints came in from customers who had bought them, as they exploded like GRENADES and splattered strawberry slop over clothes, carpet, wallpaper etc.

HR launched an investigation and it was traced back to me, and I was given my P45 immediately along with a letter stating that I had been dismissed due to 'the inappropriate use of jam in a manner not up to the standards expected by Tesco'.

Revenge, today, is mine! :)

Good lord!
I was halfway through your ditty and was expecting an American pie style ending.delighted to learn of your jam extravagance.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
If Tesco's had made a profit of £6.37BN you would have said "This just shows the rich are getting richer and the poor are staying poor". Now that a massive company has made a loss of £6BN this is also the fault of the nasty Tories because wages have not risen very much during the worst economic crises in living memory. Just the 2 million more people employed in this country since they came to power.

Woolworth's went bust because it sold items that nobody wanted to buy, not because of how the country was being run at the time.

Tesco's are failing due to poor business decision and other super markets are doing very well because of good business decisions. Success and failure of a business has much more to do with how a company is run, than how the government governs.

Why does anyone's success or failure in life have to be down to how the country is run. Why can't people just take responsibility for their own life. Whatever the outcome of next moths election, I will just get on with my life and make any necessary changes to keep myself and my family in a decent financial situation.

Don't tell people that, it's not what they want to hear. They want to hear that it's the government's fault.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The compost they've got at the moment is cracking too. I think it's £1.69 for 50L, compared to around £5 in the garden centre.

You eat compost?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I did Latin A Level at Hove Grammar with Mr Ross and know what argumentum ad hominem means........

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
With a £4Bn black hole in the pension scheme it looks very much like they'll close that scheme to existing and future employees in order to make good with overpayments and start off with a new scheme which will have far less attractive benefits.

The current pension scheme will be scrapped and replaced, a consultation began with staff on a new one this week.

It already has. My mates wife has just been made redundant by Tesco ( along with 20% of the HO work force ). Their final salary pension scheme was shutdown and altered about a year ago. Tesco are looking to make 10-15% of store staff redundant and 20% of other staff redundant. Despite having huge reserves they've been hit badly by the discounters and Sainsburys.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I did Latin A Level at Hove Grammar with Mr Ross and know what argumentum ad hominem means........

to translate maybe, but i'm wondering if you understand its meaning. ???

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Are you serious?

The caustic tone of your reply alongside that face of sheer knockiness, underneath the words Greerselbow and to the left of the page(photo) is hilarious to me.
Disclaimer. This is not an attack on your character or your obviously very intelligent thoughts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here