Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tesco report losses of £6.37Bn

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
For once no. I used to do shifts in the Tesco bakery. I got bored one day, as I was working on doughnuts for six hours, and instead of injecting them with one portion of jam, I put FOUR portions into each doughnut, and there were a few thousand of them produced each shift.

They all went out on the morning wagons to the different branches, and over the course of the next 24-48 hours, loads of complaints came in from customers who had bought them, as they exploded like GRENADES and splattered strawberry slop over clothes, carpet, wallpaper etc.

HR launched an investigation and it was traced back to me, and I was given my P45 immediately along with a letter stating that I had been dismissed due to 'the inappropriate use of jam in a manner not up to the standards expected by Tesco'.

Revenge, today, is mine! :)

Why does this whole post sound like some kind of double entendre filled, innuendo loaded Carry On script?

Carry On Up The Aisle....

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Its not all that bad. Yes, the losses are bad - but they do take into account a lot of one-off losses (such as the value of Tesco property decreasing). Tesco share prices are reflecting this as they have actually increased today. Tesco too quickly expanded without actually knowing what it actually was with numerous ventures and operations. It didnt know if it was targeting the high-end market, dominated by Waitrose, or the low-price market currently dominated by Aldi and Lidl, as a result they lost focus with the real world which culminated in last year the overstated profits scandal.

In steps Dave Lewis with one of the biggest challenges in UK history to try and turn the ship around, despite it already pretty much already hitting every iceberg in the Arctic. He has already made some huge changes which will save millions and has sold/is selling off parts of Tesco which they really dont and shouldnt have (IE Blinkbox and Broadband). A clear strategy is now also in place with Tesco firmly targeting the "low-price" market as simply that is what people want. The way Tesco handled it business was totally wrong and arrogant too, so that is also massively changing. They didnt put the customer first - one of the biggest and most stupid things you shouldnt do in retail !!

Another thing people are missing today is that customer numbers are actually up and customers are actually buying more things, predominantly the case with the Express stores as simply that is the way people like to shop these days. Superstore customer numbers are falling across all supermarkets - a BBC article today says that on average 20% of a Tesco Extra store is underused, so finding a way to fully utilise 100% of the store would increase more money.

I fully expect it to be back to business as usual next year, with profits announced again, this is a case of having to go through hell and cut-away all the issues first.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Its not all that bad. Yes, the losses are bad - but they do take into account a lot of one-off losses (such as the value of Tesco property decreasing). Tesco share prices are reflecting this as they have actually increased today. Tesco too quickly expanded without actually knowing what it actually was with numerous ventures and operations. It didnt know if it was targeting the high-end market, dominated by Waitrose, or the low-price market currently dominated by Aldi and Lidl, as a result they lost focus with the real world which culminated in last year the overstated profits scandal.

In steps Dave Lewis with one of the biggest challenges in UK history to try and turn the ship around, despite it already pretty much already hitting every iceberg in the Arctic. He has already made some huge changes which will save millions and has sold/is selling off parts of Tesco which they really dont and shouldnt have (IE Blinkbox and Broadband). A clear strategy is now also in place with Tesco firmly targeting the "low-price" market as simply that is what people want. The way Tesco handled it business was totally wrong and arrogant too, so that is also massively changing. They didnt put the customer first - one of the biggest and most stupid things you shouldnt do in retail !!

Another thing people are missing today is that customer numbers are actually up and customers are actually buying more things, predominantly the case with the Express stores as simply that is the way people like to shop these days. Superstore customer numbers are falling across all supermarkets - a BBC article today says that on average 20% of a Tesco Extra store is underused, so finding a way to fully utilise 100% of the store would increase more money.

I fully expect it to be back to business as usual next year, with profits announced again, this is a case of having to go through hell and cut-away all the issues first.

This.

Although I think its in Dave Lewis' interests to kitchen sink the accounts as much as he possibly can, the lower the base he creates the more he can emphasise what a great job he's done in its recovery. Tesco still has far and away the largest market share of any of the UK grocers and he still has a lot of financial firepower to put things right. Shareholders will be happy so long as they don't have to pony up any more cash - a fair few equity analysts have been saying this and its in Lewis interests to overplay the possibility even though he probably won't need to ask them.

Don't forget that Tesco is an international business as well - the Asian operation is very profitable and valuable, whilst they spunked an absolute fortune on the US which all got written off - so its not just about the UK.

I think a good analogy is with Man Utd. Both had a long running guy in charge who was very successful, both replaced them with guys who weren't up to it and were sacked and both now have new men in charge who are making a big thing of having to start all over again.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With a £4Bn black hole in the pension scheme it looks very much like they'll close that scheme to existing and future employees in order to make good with overpayments and start off with a new scheme which will have far less attractive benefits.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
With a £4Bn black hole in the pension scheme it looks very much like they'll close that scheme to existing and future employees in order to make good with overpayments and start off with a new scheme which will have far less attractive benefits.

The current pension scheme will be scrapped and replaced, a consultation began with staff on a new one this week.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I couldn't disagree any more, I do nearly all of my shopping at Lidl now and most of it (meat, veg, tinned goods, dairly, etc.) is fresher, tastier and of better quality than all of the big supermarkets, and about 1/3rd of the price. The only thing they downgrade on is choice.

I did assume the same as you - until I started shopping there.

No assumptions from me. I've known these operations from the late 1980's when I visited Germany a lot and I shop in them myself.
They will only ever be a selective/few item shop for me as I know what they do re pack sizes and I suggest that you do some like for like comparisons if you think that Lidl is 1/3 of the price of the others.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
No assumptions from me. I've known these operations from the late 1980's when I visited Germany a lot and I shop in them myself.
They will only ever be a selective/few item shop for me as I know what they do re pack sizes and I suggest that you do some like for like comparisons if you think that Lidl is 1/3 of the price of the others.

Are you confusing Lidl/Aldi and Poundland?

The Germans sell the same pack sizes of branded products (those they sell) as the majors. Their own brands generally match too

Have you any solid examples at all here?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
fresher is doubtful as most stuff is the same farm to shop. tastier is subjective - i recall the early days of Lidl with German products for german tastes, i did not like and has marred my impression ever since. quality is variable, it normally turns out different products are made in the same factory with different label put on. the quality of ingredients does change from company to company, line to line, but at a given price point its generally the same stuff going in (from someone who's worked as QA in the industry). smaller pack sizes is generally how Lidl/Aldi/£ shops get their pricing down without lowering quality of the actual product.

Glad to know I'm not talking complete nonsense then.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
cottage cheese
sainsbury £1.44p
tesco 64p
lidl 44p
asda 60p?
44p AND BETTER BY FAR THAN THE OTHERS

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
So Aldi Sud (roughly 60% of the overall Aldi revenue €67bn in 2013) and Lidl (revenue €63bn in 2013) are minnows with poor buying power then?

Fair point. I was thinking more of their presence in the UK.
If you are looking at them globally, then Wal-Mart/Asda ( 485bn ) does make them minnows but not Tesco, Sainsburys and Morrisons.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you confusing Lidl/Aldi and Poundland?

The Germans sell the same pack sizes of branded products (those they sell) as the majors. Their own brands generally match too

Have you any solid examples at all here?

Glad to know I'm not talking complete nonsense then.

Yes you are, as Cian's post shows.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I don't think they do with most things. I'm pretty careful with checking labels and stuff. The key point for me is I can do a weekly shop for around £50, with a bulging trolley load. Certainly not doable in Sainsburys.

Actually, I'm pretty sure a lot of their stuff is bigger. The own brand Nutella (which is the same, EXACTLY the same as Nutella), is about 50p cheaper and comes in a massive tub.

The compost they've got at the moment is cracking too. I think it's £1.69 for 50L, compared to around £5 in the garden centre.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The current pension scheme will be scrapped and replaced, a consultation began with staff on a new one this week.

Its the only way to safeguard the accrued benefits for existing employees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here