[Albion] Terrible support, terrible facilities, terrible day.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Completely agree re purchase history - should have been a window after A+, but whatever order we use for 37/38,000 is going to result in a lot of tourists and occasionals, with the hard-core support spread out over the whole allocation. Wouldn’t have any impact on the atmosphere.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one! Yes there would still be a fair few tourists/occasionals but by prioritising people in who have a purchase history and attend aways/know the songs I think the atmosphere would be improved. Ah well, hopefully we'll be having this debate again soon if we can make another cup run!

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
i expect to get flamed for this but we have too many old farts .....i'm 57 but i get involved at the football, too many people who wouldn't get involved in a chant/song if their life depended on it , in a word ....lightweight.
So only people with the right CV are allowed to go to Brighton games ... OK then ... and certainly not old duffers who like to support their team in their own way :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think we'll have to disagree on that one! Yes there would still be a fair few tourists/occasionals but by prioritising people in who have a purchase history and attend aways/know the songs I think the atmosphere would be improved. Ah well, hopefully we'll be having this debate again soon if we can make another cup run!
Even a couple of thousand (and how many of these ‘purchase history’ fans blow the roof off with their singing anyway) spread out over half the ground really isn’t going to make much difference……

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Not a lot of thought from the FA tbh. A 430 kick off on a Sunday with Sunday trains running was never going to end well. Add in extra time and penalties was always going to be a scrum to get out. 5.30 hours from leaving Wembley to arriving back home in Hellingly is a joke.
As for atmosphere seems there were pockets if it, 136 seemed to be decent, but the ground isn’t exactly great at carrying noise around at times you could see fans clapping and singing without hearing what was being sung and as always games like this groups that may sit together home and away end up fragmented across the ground.
For a ground that size the facilities are pretty poor and food and drink facilities are pretty dreadful. Found a decent bar nearby pre match.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Wembley acoustics, tense game, raining, bad facilities….all having a laugh - absolute reality is we don’t have a decent proper fan base who want an atmosphere over and above the 2000 or so who do away games.

This doesn’t mean people don’t support the club, we just don’t have that element of working class, almost old-skool type footie fans that want to stand/make a noise/out-sing the opposition.

As someone who loves the away day atmosphere and still misses those days away at chesterfield/aldershot/Lincoln/Brentford etc etc it’s disappointing but just have to accept it.

I thought it was shocking. When united went full pelt they were far louder than us. And we were sitting on half way.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not a lot of thought from the FA tbh. A 430 kick off on a Sunday with Sunday trains running was never going to end well. Add in extra time and penalties was always going to be a scrum to get out. 5.30 hours from leaving Wembley to arriving back home in Hellingly is a joke.
Must admit I found getting home pretty easy, left lower tier 136 after the players had left, only stopped once walking to Wembley Park, once in the station down steps to a quiet platform, on first Jubliee tube to London Bridge, trains to Sevenoaks every 10-15 minutes jump in the car and we were indoors in Bexhill just before 10. Our neighbours who were in the upper stand were home half an hour after us.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wembley acoustics, tense game, raining, bad facilities….all having a laugh - absolute reality is we don’t have a decent proper fan base who want an atmosphere over and above the 2000 or so who do away games.

This doesn’t mean people don’t support the club, we just don’t have that element of working class, almost old-skool type footie fans that want to stand/make a noise/out-sing the opposition.

As someone who loves the away day atmosphere and still misses those days away at chesterfield/aldershot/Lincoln/Brentford etc etc it’s disappointing but just have to accept it.

I thought it was shocking. When united went full pelt they were far louder than us. And we were sitting on half way.
Probably the generation we lost by being homeless

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
In block 124, was very surprised by the lack of usual Albion songs. Heard Dunk's and Solly's and Caicedo's coming from behind the goal but they barely got off the ground. Loads of half and half scarf wearers around me, heard one guy being told to take it off by someone who thought it was a Man United scarf he was wearing and who asked him if he was an Albion fan and his response was "my Mum's from Brighton her Dad was from Manchester so it's win-win for me whatever today".

Bloke next to me had no interest really in what was happening on the pitch up until the penalties. After the game his mate turned to him and asked if he'd watch Brighton again.

As the block was one of the ones with tickets left on the day the match sold it out and STH could take 2 guests that was the impression I got had happened...if you allow 2/3rds of a section to potentially be guests you get a lot of people not invested in the game. Empty seats all around me before United even really started celebrating the final penalty.

In fact, the only real similarity the crowd around me had with a standard away game was the number of teenage boys going to the toilets in a group every 20-30 minutes.

Well played to the team, disappointing result, but I hope when we get to Wembley again the ticket policy goes to purchase history and points and long standing members before guests.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Yep…..I don’t understand the surprise either. I chose to go behind the goal as it was obvious that’s where the standing would be……..other than that I’d expect most of the blocks to be all-seated.
Maybe my memory isn't what it was but I was in a similar place in 2019 semi final and i am sure we were all stood. The ground doesn't lend itself to creating an atmosphere (or buying anything or going to the bog or getting to) but it generates a cinemaesque feel to the game sat down as opposed to support. Certainly it seemed the same united sections were stood up.

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
I was in block126. I'd say it was ok and nicely feral during the penalties but was hard to hear anything other than Albion, Albion as understandably pockets of singers were spread everywhere. Utd were no better overall but the difference was that they had a couple of songs that their entire crowd knew and those sounded very good particularly in the 2nd half when they looked dangerous for a sustained period. Obviously our entire crowd could manage Albion Albion hence the good volume also but as expected when you get a lot of fans that don't know a lot of the songs (as at the Amex) they are unable/unwilling to join in "Withdean to Wembley...." and others and it does not come across and gets absorbed by Wembley. GOSBTS came across ok ish twice, again because most know it.
I really can't understand why "We are Brighton, super Brighton...." does not take off as it's easy for all to sing, rousing, slow enough. I get so frustrated belting that out and being surrounded by silent people. That is not hard.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I was halfway down the upper tier in 546, I thought we were better than 2019, and for a difficult tense game did okay. Until I read this thread this morning, I thought it was a decent enough atmosphere from both ends for a bit of a stalemate semi final.

Not sure what the expectation is for some? I didn't turn up thinking 38k Brighton fans were all going to sing in unison. If you did, then I have no idea what you were drinking. For a mixed bag of fans spread around a huge stadium, I thought we did better than I might have expected.

MU and their fans are a different animal to us. They were loud and did get a couple of times when it was deafening, but so what to be honest, we're not MU and should really enjoy the fact we are what we are.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
There seemed to be lots of people who had brought mates/partners/relatives which is to be expected given the priority given to the STH guests. The problem with that is that you have a number of people just there for a day out, and the STH is also likely to be more subdued (I felt the guy next to me was regretting bringing his wife after about 10 minutes of questions about what was going on 😂)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
80% (at least) of the AMEX sits down. Transport all of those people to Wembley and you have to ask "what's all that about" when 80% of those people sit down?

In the block we were in (lower tier) were all priority 1 season ticket holders, as it sold out straight away. Everyone sat for the majority of the game.

It gives the lie to eveyone repeatedly telling us that "everyone" wants to stand at away games. We just have to because those in rows in front of us stand.
Exactly. What is posted on Nsc is personal opinions, not what ‘everybody does’.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
80% (at least) of the AMEX sits down. Transport all of those people to Wembley and you have to ask "what's all that about" when 80% of those people sit down?

In the block we were in (lower tier) were all priority 1 season ticket holders, as it sold out straight away. Everyone sat for the majority of the game.

It gives the lie to eveyone repeatedly telling us that "everyone" wants to stand at away games. We just have to because those in rows in front of us stand.

Personal view is that games like yesterday, there is an onus on the crowd to lift the players a bit and "win" the stadium certainly when they looked dead on their feet in extra time. It doesn't feel like we did that as much as I thought we would. People disagree with on this thread, it maybe the result talking.

I've got some manky leg infection due to an exotic insect bite and would have struggled to stand for 90 minutes. I was quite prepared to stand though as I thought it would be all hands on deck yesterday. Clearly not judging by the dad with his lad in a Man u Ronaldo shirt in the Brighton end.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I found the “Wembley experience “ very frustrating. I was back row of standing area and trying to get any singing going was hard work. Why do supporters go in that area if they don’t want to get involved? Having said that It was much better than the City semi final In 2019. I think in future for Wembley games the club should take the lead and actually designate a singing section so more like minded supporters are grouped together. I’m looking forward to Wednesday night at Forest as the atmosphere in the away end will be far better than yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports